Thinking about solar panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
    I talked to 2 different solar companies and their financing methods are a bit hanky.

NIVO 21kW (52) 400W panel ground mounted system financed for 20 years - $72,500 at 1.5%, $62,500 at 3%, $52,500 at 6%. Different price for different interest rates. Say their office is in Katy and employ their own installers, not sub-contractors.

Native 21kW (45) 480W panel ground mounted system financed for 20 years - $55,455 at 5.5%. Their office is in Dallas area.
    People would have to be really really bad at math to take these deals. Real bad.

Comment

Hunter Douglas makes shades with 1% light transmission. We have them in our Montana house and they really cut down solar gain/ heat in our south facing room with large windows.

I can’t help you with the solar question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        People would have to be really really bad at math to take these deals. Real bad.
        You would be surprised. Lots of the systems going up in the cities are in that range and folks are singing on the dotted line. I have gotten two quotes just because I wanted to hear how crazy they would be. I was quoted less then the systems above but the total system kilo watts I was quoted were significantly less.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
          See post #10. I'm not saying that everyone in a low income area is bad at math, but I do think they can be more susceptible to be convinced by very carefully worded promises of free energy and lower bills.

Comment

I spoke with Berger Wind Power in Norman, OK. They had a system for me, but DANG! 100 foot tall, 3-leg tower with 15kW generator that has a 30 foot blade span only runs $108,000. For that price I may have to add a couple extras... or not.

I talked to 2 different solar companies and their financing methods are a bit hanky.

NIVO 21kW (52) 400W panel ground mounted system financed for 20 years - $72,500 at 1.5%, $62,500 at 3%, $52,500 at 6%. Different price for different interest rates. Say their office is in Katy and employ their own installers, not sub-contractors.

Native 21kW (45) 480W panel ground mounted system financed for 20 years - $55,455 at 5.5%. Their office is in Dallas area.

I can pay high electric bills for a Looooonnnnngggg time for that kind of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Had one swing by the other day and was persistent so I had them give me $s. No way. 78K on a 25 year note and the best it would produce in the peak summer was 80%. I would have a solar payment + still a partial electric bill. It didn't add up for me.

Comment

You could spend a fraction of the costs of solar and upgrade your insulation (maybe foam?), windows, or an energy efficient A/C and come out ahead.

Comment

Can someone share the link that allows me to purchasing solar components at wholesale price?

Comment

I’m in a 6 year old house so it’s fairly tight, actually have to use a dehumidifier. Insulation in attic is deep and ripping out walls to add insulation is a no go. Dryer, stove, hot water & heater are all gas. Windows all have wood blinds. Roof decking has radiant barrier.

I’m not sure what else I can do to offset any use except get rid of my in-laws and extra refrigerators and freezers.

In looking at solar I’m looking to offset most of my bill. I understand that the cost isn’t low but it’s just over half of what my electricity bill will be in 2 months when my contract is up.

Comment

Originally posted by philcam View Post
                      You could spend a fraction of the costs of solar and upgrade your insulation (maybe foam?), windows, or an energy efficient A/C and come out ahead.

Just curious, how would you go about upgrading the insulation?

Comment

Replacing with a higher R value insulation in walls and adding even more to the attic.

I have a newer train AC unit that was just serviced.
                        Last edited by Wampuscat; 07-27-2022, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I will say one thing. I've worked for a solar company for 29 years and I don't have them on my house....even at my cost.

Comment

Solar is an absolute scam. Expensive as crap and even more expensive if you want to store that power. "selling to the grid" for a discount is a joke

Comment

Dad did it several years ago. It didn’t make sense to me then and makes even less now. When he started there were several companies buying back the power he made. Now there’s one and it’s pitiful. He still thinks it’s a good thing but I doubt it ever pays for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                                Just curious, how would you go about upgrading the insulation?

You can add blown-in insulation to the attic pretty easy. If the fiberglass insulation isn't at least to the top of the rafters, it is probably too shallow. Make sure the eves soffits aren't clogged or covered by insulation to ensure proper airflow. Add a radiant barrier to the roof. Those are DIY-able, but I'd wait until the winter. Also make sure your A/C ducts in the attic are sealed. Leaks are easy to find in the summer with the A/C on, just feel for the cool spots.

More drastic, expensive, and usually not DIY are foam attic and they can even foam existing walls by drilling holes and injecting the foam.

Comment

Working...
                                X