Pecan tree advice and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Royal21973 View Post
    That’s a beautiful tree. About how big was it when you got it? Cost? Was it purchased local?
    Thanks

Purchased local. Was about a foot shorter and not as full when planted. Cost I believe was $1500 and included planting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
      I am no help to your questions DD but fill us in on where you got your tree, name of brand, was it grafted, size etc. Pecans in one year that’s amazing with what little knowledge I have on pecan trees. Thanks.

Came from moon valley off I45 in spring. They have great trees but are high pressure sales and pricey. Had to threaten to cancel my order to get them to match pricing of another nursery. It had pecans last year as well when they planted it but weren’t any good from transplanting. The pecans this year look great. We were told that this year and going forward we should expect pecans every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have volunteer paper hull pecans all the time if anyone wants to come dig one up. I have one in a planter pot as we speak that is 8-10” tall.

They are from trees that were part of the the plantation that used to be where Bellaire is today.

They are very tasty and profuse producers when mature.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by TxxAgg View Post
            There's nothing wrong with it.
            This is actually fairly true.

A lot of variables here, when it comes to diagnosing tree issues. One thing you mentioned (dapper Dan) was that you have been fertilizing it “religiously”. Exactly what are you fertilizing it with and how much? Did you fertilize last summer after planting (You should not have, btw). Obviously you already know June is a terrible month to plant a tree, especially one that large. I’m sure they used a root stimulator when planting, if Moon Valley did the planting. I don’t believe it’s a fungal issue. If you’d like to know for certain, you can send a clipping of a branch with twig, stem and leaves attached to The Diagnostic Plant Clinic at ATM and they will tell you what is going on.

Comment

Comment

Generally recommendation is do not fertilize the first year after transplanting.

Comment

Working...
                X