No announcement yet.

Question about painting a wood blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a high quality primer on it 1st, that will extend the life of the blind and the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Maybe in the initial painting, spray at your home or something might be ok but it’s a roller for me. Out in the feedpen, it’s just easier. No dragging a generator around. Not worth the cleanup time either. Buy cheap rollers and when done pull it off with a Walmart sack and through it away. Same with a roller pan liner.

Throw*[emoji2359][emoji2359]

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Put a high quality primer on it 1st, that will extend the life of the blind and the paint.
        There ya go....spending my money for me!

Mama's only letting me build this monstrosity because the wood was free. I'm currently only $45 into this thing ($15 for the 3 gallons of paint & $30 for the big box of deck screws [that she doesn't know I bought])! High-quality primer is going to double my current costs!

I still have to sell her on funds for the battery/solar power system, interior LED lights, 12V ceiling fan, mattress pad for the flip-down bunks, ....

(Somehow I need to to finagle a way to pay for the 12V RV A/C system I saw the other day...)

Comment

If they were old concrete forms, the only worry I would have is if they are saturated with form release. That may make the paint not want to stick.

Comment

No sealer needed. Just make sure you use 100% acrylic exterior paint and it will last a long time in between recoats.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
              If they were old concrete forms, the only worry I would have is if they are saturated with form release. That may make the paint not want to stick.
              They are old concrete forms, but they've been weathering outside for a long time. Any type of form oil that may have been used is long gone. I work for a formwork contractor and form oil doesn't last on wood forms as long as design engineers/architects think. And if you use the water-based cr@p, it only lasts about a week!

When I coated the floor panels with wood sealer, I put 4 coats on them because that's how much kept soaking in! There's no form oil left in these things.

I'm going to be cleaning up the outside faces down to clean wood anyway.

Comment

You’ll get out of it what you put into it. Heard that one before?

Comment

I painted my last two with oil based paint (as someone recommended on here). Inside and out.
                  It dries hard and they are looking brand new 3 years later.

Unless something changes, I’ll be using oil based from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    We are in a big square box in the sky or on the ground. We aren't hiding the box from anything. Light reflection, IMO is at the bottom of the totem pole for deer blind exterior paints. Especially one with windows that are already reflecting light to give the big box away.. Give me something with a little more sheen to make it more durable and protected from the sun. The deer and pigs will get used to the box. Satin minimum for me...and a preference to semi-gloss...
                    Fair. I almost thought better than to help on this thread and should have. I only help a few others with their own box blind and feeder build efforts because of their own lack of experience with framing and building.

Budgets and weights are always tight and actual windows aren't there. Some 1x & plexiglass windows with black potato sack screen is all that's in the budget. Most blinds are in the air and in a thicket or tree canopy. Function, comfort, cost, and glare is a focus for the hunters I've helped. Then they add rechargeable fans in October and carry blankets and Sterno in Dec.

I'm in the trees. Wet, hot, or cold. Preference.

Comment

Working...
                    X