Heat wave thermostat wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
    I remember my apartment days prior to 2006. 300 dollar electric bills and Im pretty energy conservative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck that’s what mine had been running with over 3500 sq/ft and a pool running 10 hours a day. [emoji16]

Until the co-op just raised rates by almost 40%. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Simple check is measure return duct temp split difference compared to closest register. 16-20 degrees split is ideal.
      Other than that you might try below:
      1. Clean outside condenser coils
      2. Check/change filter
      3. Make sure no restrictive air flow on return
      4. Have licensed tech check refrigerant level

Comment

Mine is between 1 or 2 degrees of setting. Not cooling below 80 is a problem somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the thermostat on an app on my phone. When I am gone wife goes and and lowers the temp setting - I just raise it back up on my phone - took her about a year to figure out what was going on LOL

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
            Could be low on freon. My unit was doing the same thing, tech added 3lbs of freon and it holds steady at 75 now
            I hope the tech found and fixed the leak or you will get low on freon again. It's not supposed to get low. Getting low means you have a leak

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I think our biggest problem is insulation - for example we still have cheap builder grade single pane windows. I understand why she expects it to be cooler after all we paid for a new unit and larger duct work. I’m getting it checked out tomorrow
              Blown insulation is relatively cheap. I have a guy I can send you info on. He did my ranch house in Corsicana for $800 for about 1800 sf. I bet his summer rates are higher. Only a little more than what I could rent the unit and do it myself! Some new units don't have enough pre-charge freon to fill all the lines. Have them check the level again.

I still laughed when I read your story! Thermostat wars will never end!

Comment

Heat wave thermostat wars

I also laughed.

My wife calls and says she called the AC guy back out. We had a relay fixed about a month ago. I said why, she said temperature is reading 78 upstairs. I stated that is easily over 110 degrees outside and she said so it should hold at 75 upstairs. Needless to say the AC guy was cool and kinda laughed it off no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                  I remember my apartment days prior to 2006. 300 dollar electric bills and Im pretty energy conservative.

Ours were $700 for electric bill in our Bakersfield CA house back in 2008. I can't imagine what it costs to cool a house there now. [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
                    Got a new unit last year, I’ve had it set at 67 last two days and it has held 67. Feels great!
                    Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                    Mine stays right here. Until yalls president says different

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                    I don't understand the need to have the inside of your home 67 degrees. I don't even keep inside of my truck that dang cold!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                      I'd have it checked for sure...especially as high as electricity is getn. Dbl chk the filter and rinse out the condensing unit(outside) coils. Also, on these super hot days, I turn on some misting nozzles on around my condensing units. I bought the ones made for dog pens with 5 or 6 nozzles on it. Brings the subcooling down which helps out on the inside! I just do it during the hottest part of the day. New unit oughta do better than 80 amigo.
                      great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
                        Ours were $700 for electric bill in our Bakersfield CA house back in 2008. I can't imagine what it costs to cool a house there now. [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I lived in one complex that had high bills, they all did, anyway one day maintenance was repairing some old siding on my unit and literally the wall was stuffed with old movers blankets. I bet there was zero interior wall insulation. Just paying to run an ac to the outside.

Comment

We just had a home built. Moved in 7 months ago. Super energy efficient. Lots of insulation, high grade windows, and return air in every room. Saves a ton of money but there is no feeling to the ac cycle. You dont feel it getting a little warmer and then the cool down. It just stays at what temp you have it set at and cycles when it needs to. The only downside is I am so used to the cool downs I miss them lol. Also the floors will become dustier as the system is not eating it through the single return heavy intake. Filters last longer and we run a hepa filter/ionizer which erases all the dust.

Comment

Well it was back to 74 this morning. Girl is a sucker for punishment. At 76 while she’s at work

Comment

Working...
                            X