Chiggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chiggers

Ivermectin will kill them quickly. Its an an anti parasite first and foremost. Its what I was prescribed years ago when I got em bad in a bamboo thicket as a civilian. In the Army we were left to rot and fester with them for months on end and the mosquitoes. I have permanent scarring on my left ankle/calf from “digging them out” (they didn’t come out) with my fingernails. Bloody mess. Summer of 2000 at Ft Hood 4th ID. Finally learned from an ol Ranger to blouse my boots with disposable flea collars. Works well as does permethrin. Another ol Ranger our 1st Sgt was med evacd and hospitalized from them. He was in PT gear for months. Thousands of them swarmed his body. He wanted us to start sleeping on the ground instead of on our launchers/trucks. Mechanized infantry. He was gonna lead by example. His entire body was weeping blood and ****. Devil bugs.

Apparently the swear filter wont let me spell out pus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ætheling; 07-19-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
      Scratch the ever living heck out of the bite till it bleeds profusely then bandage yourself up. Easier in the long run than dealing with the itching. Or just take a benadryl.
      This what I do then pour acetone on the spots to dry them out. Burns like hell but works! Also works on Poison Ivy

Comment

I also wear the cheap flea and tick collars around my ankles, keep all them buggers from climbing my legs

Comment

This work pretty dang good!
          Attached Files

Comment

Can't believe ya'll worrying bout some lil ol chigger bug. Here's what we had to deal with over in the jungle of Nam.
            We just squirted them with the insect repellant they gave us they died by stinging themselves to death.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Some things just stand the test of time. Good stuff right there.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                Cabela's had a product called "Chigga Please" but they removed it from shells because sensitive people complained.
                Lol

Comment

Mix Vaseline and salt, put on after peroxide. The bite exposed to air makes it itch more.

Comment

I don’t have a good solution after your already eaten bio by them… antihistamines, maybe steroids if necessary.

But, I treat all outdoor clothing with permethrin at least quarterly to prevent chiggers, ticks, fleas, and mosquitos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated, at this point you are just trying to ease the itch. To be honest, the only true remedy is time although some of the products mentioned will at least help you get through the passage of time.

I got into chiggers real bad about 10 years ago while brush clearing at a lease. I'm talking a couple hundred bites on each leg and just about every other crevice you can think of. Talk about a miserable next few days. Rubbing down with rubbing alcohol helped a little as did standard anti-itch ointment. However, relief really wasn't for a couple days.

I totally agree that preventative is the way to go. I'm not sure why people don't mention it, but Deep Woods Off works just fine. Spray around your feet, legs, waist line, etc. Deet works about as good as anything as a preventative. Sulfer powder does as well, although, it's a bit harder to find. If scent control is an issue for actual hunting, the best prevention is to simply stay out of high grass and from brushing up against limbs, bushes, etc. Chiggers latch onto you when you brush up against these types of things. That's why it's easy to get into them while doing brush clearing and other lease work.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                        Back in the days, Cabela's had a product called "Chigga Please" but they removed it from shells because sensitive people complained.

That stuff worked really well, I can't even find it when I search for it. I wonder if the same product is being sold under a new / different name now?
                        Yes. They renamed it to "My Chigga dead".

Comment

Ivermectin will kill the within hours. You don't need a remedy to deal with the itching and you don't have to wait for them to die. Kill them by dinner time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            Yes. They renamed it to "My Chigga dead".
                            I used to dove hunt with a black guy and we used to laugh about the name all the time... He sure as he77 wasn't offended by the name...

Comment

Working...
                            X