Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

ERCOT is urging electricity conservation today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Brazos Hunter said. Nuclear is the answer. I grew up not too far from 3 mile island in Pennsylvania when the reactor melted down. I was scared of nuclear for awhile but with the advances in technology etc... it really is the best option hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      I say everyone crank up ACs to max. Lets just go ahead and down the system to get this next disaster over with. They won't fix it for real until it breaks and they can hold us all for ransom anyway.
      don't wish this
      if the grid fails, you are talking months not days to to get power restored
      people WILL die
      no oil will be pumped, no gas processed, no services such as water or sewer
      food shortages...., the domino effect will go on and on.

based on 20 years as a power plant operator who sat thru black start grid training every year. the thought of a total grid collapse terrifies me,and i'm not prone to panic.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
        don't wish this
        people WILL die

based on 20 years as a power plant operator who sat thru black start grid training every year. the thought of a total grid collapse terrifies me,and i'm not prone to panic.
        Been participating too for years. If we experienced a true total blackout life would never be the same and yes, countless people would die. On top of that, society would go crazy with anarchy everywhere. Those who are prepared will be attached followed closely by the collapse of the civilized world. It’s not doom and gloom, just a fact.

Micheal

Comment

With all of the new houses being built all over the place, I just can’t imagine how our old antiquated power system can handle the added strain on the system. I can pretty much guarantee that these people moving here from California and the northern states have never experienced our kind of heat and can’t handle it. They are not going to set their thermostats any lower than they are comfortable with. Most I’ve talked to say they like it down around 68-70° They ain’t giving up their comfort for anyone.
          Gonna have a good laugh at them when they crash the system and have to experience the real Texas. I’m very heat tolerant, after having not having had air conditioning until later in life and work out in it nearly every day. Those poor souls are gonna melt. Lol!
          On the upside, maybe it’ll drive them out of here.

Comment

Nuclear isn't the answer.

Currently 440 nuclear power plants around the world (10% of total electricity produced) that produce 34,000m3 of nuclear waste a year and is already at levels that create a disposal/storage problem. If we went completely nuclear that's a nine fold increase to something that is already a problem at current levels.

Comment

Set your thermostat HIGHER not lower!

Carry on!

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                With all of the new houses being built all over the place, I just can’t imagine how our old antiquated power system can handle the added strain on the system. I can pretty much guarantee that these people moving here from California and the northern states have never experienced our kind of heat and can’t handle it. They are not going to set their thermostats any lower than they are comfortable with. Most I’ve talked to say they like it down around 68-70° They ain’t giving up their comfort for anyone.
                Gonna have a good laugh at them when they crash the system and have to experience the real Texas. I’m very heat tolerant, after having not having had air conditioning until later in life and work out in it nearly every day. Those poor souls are gonna melt. Lol!
                On the upside, maybe it’ll drive them out of here.

I’m like you in that for years, I worked out in the heat. The heat still doesn’t bother me much, but my wife is a different story. She has never had a job in the heat, has always owned a car where the AC works, and just can’t cope. If the power does go out for an extended period, I’ll have to set up my solar system to run an 8k BTU window unit that we’ve got.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                  Nuclear isn't the answer.

Currently 440 nuclear power plants around the world (10% of total electricity produced) that produce 34,000m3 of nuclear waste a year and is already at levels that create a disposal/storage problem. If we went completely nuclear that's a nine fold increase to something that is already a problem at current levels.

I was just reading the other day about technology that is out now that allows new nuclear plants to be built that run on the spent fuel from current nuclear power plants! This would eliminate the storage problem of spent fuel.

Comment

I urge ERCOT to find a way to make more **** power.

Comment

from historic freezes to heat waves. texas has it all. hang in there boys and girls! hope it turns out to be a non-story at least for today.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
                        With a water wheel maybe. When the lake level drops below the intake for the turbines on a dam, no hydro power.

Coming to Powell and Mead, huge lakes.
                        Look how vast an area Hoover dam supplies power to. It's pretty amazing.

Someone calculate how many wind turbines it would take to equal the power generated from hydro from Hoover.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          I urge ERCOT to find a way to make more **** power.

Bingo! All I have for these poor planning asshats is my middle finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got a text message asking to consider power conservation from 14:00 to 20:00

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
                              don't wish this
                              people WILL die

I think you miss the point. Some of us are done caring. Too many fools letting corruption run this country. Let’s just rip the bandaid off and get on with it. I do not say this lightly. I’m more comfortable than most and I’m sick of the bull****. I was raised in a hard life so I know I can deal and survive. We need a purge. I think God will bring us one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Turned mine down to minimum...

Comment

Working...
                                X