No announcement yet.

Quality Zebco reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My very first reel was a Zebco 202. It was olive green and had white handles. I caught tons of fish on that reel. No telling how many trout under the lights and no telling how many flounder off our pier. I used that reel for years before I was deemed old enough to have a nice reel and got upgraded to an ABU 170. I don't know whatever happened to that old reel but I wish I still had it. I think one of the reasons those little reels worked so well is they had such a slow gear ratio. it's hard to put too much pressure on a fish when the gear ratio is like 2:1 and you are retrieving about 10" of line per turn. That and most of those reels were on really soft fiberglass rods. It's amazing the fish I caught on that thing.

Comment

went thru 2 bullets
      they’re very nice when
      new
      but don’t hold up so my grandsons are gettin the 33’s until they wan to buy their own setup.

Comment

Good info here. We’re taking my sister in law and brother in law to our Oklahoma place this weekend to fish the river for channel cats, and I don’t think either of them can operate a bait cast set up. With the info gleaned here, I’m going to Academy tomorrow to pick up a couple Zebco packages to have as loaners for guests.

Comment

Garcia Abu matic is a pretty good reel.

Comment

Years ago, a tackle shop in the Keys had a Zebco light tackle tournament, we fished. Each angler got 6 zebco reels with 10# on them, couldn’t alter the reels in anyway. It was an offshore tournament, was great fun. Good memories

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I’ll be ****ed…..

That’s genius, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt. Where was this info when my kids were learning.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post

Heck, where was this trick when I was trying to learn how to throw an Ambassaduer 5000A back in the 60's-70's!!

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Heck, where was this trick when I was trying to learn how to throw an Ambassaduer 5000A back in the 60's-70's!!
                  It works. I'm not too proud to say I still do it sometimes. A big spinnerbait in high wind can mess things up pretty bad. This trick can turn a frustrating day into a normal day of fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    It works. I'm not too proud to say I still do it sometimes. A big spinnerbait in high wind can mess things up pretty bad. This trick can turn a frustrating day into a normal day of fishing.
                    Jay, I found that the magnetic system on the Diawa reels is by far the best braking system for bait casters... I can throw a 1/4 oz. Johnson Sprite/bucktail directly into the wind when fishing the surf without issue...

I got on the Curado bandwagon back the the old "greenies" came out and liked them, but they never had the castability of the Diawas... When Diawa introduced the "Coastal TWS" I got one to try... sold all my curados and now throw them exclusively...

Comment

I love the Daiwa Coastal SV TW. Right now it's my favorite baitcaster. I also think it is one of the more picky reels to get adjusted just right. But once you figure it out and get it where you want it the reel casts super.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Jay, I found that the magnetic system on the Diawa reels is by far the best braking system for bait casters... I can throw a 1/4 oz. Johnson Sprite/bucktail directly into the wind when fishing the surf without issue...

I got on the Curado bandwagon back the the old "greenies" came out and liked them, but they never had the castability of the Diawas... When Diawa introduced the "Coastal TWS" I got one to try... sold all my curados and now throw them exclusively...
                        Man that ain't no lie Charlie. I absolutely love my Daiwa Tatula SV TW. The braking system is amazing.

Comment

Glenn, what I like about the Daiwa's is that once you get them set up like you fish, If you go from throwing heavy topwaters to light spoons or 1/8 oz. jig heads, just a quick turn of the dial, and you can cast the exact same way... Only takes a little experience to get that dial figured out... At the Chandeleur's I've thrown tops into the wind for an hour, then switched to 1/8 oz DSL's or spoons lots of times without issue and no thumb break necessary as long as I remember to reset my casting dial a little (and it don't take much)... Years ago, I fished with the old Daiwa PT series that had the snap open line guide... Had the same system on them. They weren't as durable as the current models, but man, they would chunk a spoon in the Mexican surf a mile... They just didn't hold much line... Many redfish fell to them, but I went through a lot of drag washers! Put on 40# Spiderwire and cranked the drag down so they wouldn't spool me...

Comment

Ive caught an insane amount of fish on a zebcos, including a lake Black Bass youth record and some huge catfish, gar, striper and hybrids. They arent my favorite for all situations, but when I just want to fish and not worry, I love the Omega reels. My 3 year old could also cast it and reel it in one lesson.

Comment

I've been using bait casters for 45 plus year....thought I was way beyond the spincast gear.

I setup a Zebco Omega Pro rig for my daughter a couple of years ago and I am kind of embarrassed to admit it but it is now one of my favorites

It is just stupid easy to use and kind of reminds me of fishing with my Grandpa. I've landed numerous 3# large mouth, hundreds of white bass and 30" Alligator Gar a couple of weeks ago.

It won't ever replace my baitcasters and spinning gear but it is way better than the push-button reels that I had growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
                                I've been using bait casters for 45 plus year....thought I was way beyond the spincast gear.

I setup a Zebco Omega Pro rig for my daughter a couple of years ago and I am kind of embarrassed to admit it but it is now one of my favorites

It is just stupid easy to use and kind of reminds me of fishing with my Grandpa. I've landed numerous 3# large mouth, hundreds of white bass and 30" Alligator Gar a couple of weeks ago.

It won't ever replace my baitcasters and spinning gear but it is way better than the push-button reels that I had growing up.

Nothing better too than out fishing the heck out of your fishing buddy using a Zebco when they are using a $400 setup. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X