No announcement yet.

Garage door size - 20' vs 18'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have room I would agree that two 10 ft doors would be best cost wise. Garage direction and apron/driveway room will also come into play. Side entry garage would demand more driveway in front of it to maneuver into the smaller openings.

Comment

We are currently building our home, and I am doing two 10’x8’ doors plus another 9’x8’. A 20’ door will definitely have swag in the middle eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have an 18' door and no issues.
        A builder once pointed out the wind pressure issue if the door faces the South West.
        Since mine faces East I wish I had done the 20'.

Comment

We went with a 20 as well. With Bill Morris's help, we added 6 feet to the length of the garage as well to store the mower or ATV with a front side door.

Comment

I did 2-10's w/ walk door between gives space to get in/out of vehicles.

20' is a BIG opening.
            i.e if it is cold outside, being able to only open one side to get in/out
            and keep a "comfortable" temp inside or not lose as much heat/cold.

Comment

On my ship I did 18x12 door. I talked to a door guy who does industrial and he suggested this setup. It is a panel door (not a roll door) and is windstorm and insulated. The cross members on each panel are about 5x5 and it doesn’t say at all. The door is heavy so we went with an industrial Liftmaster opener.

Comment

i did 18 on my custom home

it fit my tundra and my foxbody mustang no problem w room to spare.. just be sure to go w the taller and not the std height

Comment

If there is ANY way, I would do individual doors and do 10’ wide doors at that. We have (2) 7’x9’ doors and it can be tight with a full size truck.

Also if you are planning to park a truck of any size, make it 25’ deep and no less than 12’ wide with an 8’ tall door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    Other than a little more cost and probably longer order time, is there any disadvantage to a 20' garage door?
                    Nope we did it, worth every penny.

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                      X