No announcement yet.

Texas Elk Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't mean to start a rant on B&C, I like their org and how they recognize animals, and hunters I guess.
    Not all folks that get an animal listed do it for the recognition for themselves, my ram is in because of where it came from. My taking him was luck of being right place/ right time.

Anyway, you have some dandy bulls in Texas , enjoy that hunt !

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
      Merriam's Elk probanly aren't a real subspecies. There would have been elk on the southern plains as well.
      Yep. Here's a good article on the subject....

Are elk native to Texas? The answer to this question is “ Yes ”, and has implications that extend far beyond scientific curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        Yep. Here's a good article on the subject....

https://pitchstonewaters.com/are-elk...-to-texas-yes/
        That’s one of the better articles I’ve read since it cite siting etc pre-1920

The Merriam hypothesis for it against is dumb, especially with the dna testing now, but that’s here nor there, fact is elk walked all over Texas pre-1900’s, and re-introduced just like parts of AZ and NM
        Last edited by Texans42; 06-28-2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          That one of the better articles I’ve read since it cite siting etc pre-1920

but that’s here nor there, fact is elk walked all over Texas pre-1900’s
          They didn’t though, at least not in appreciable numbers. There has been no known record of widespread elk harvest in Texas, very few remains found, etc. they were not a common animal across the majority of the state.

Pronghorn antelope had a greater range in Texas than elk did.

But, I believe that within the borders of what is now Texas enough existed in certain areas to label them a native game animal
          Last edited by txtrophy85; 06-28-2022, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
            They didn’t though, at least not in appreciable numbers. There has been no known record of widespread elk harvest in Texas, very few remains found, etc. they were not a common animal across the majority of the state.

Pronghorn antelope had a greater range in Texas than elk did.

But, I believe that within the borders of what is now Texas enough existed in certain areas to label them a native game animal
            That makes no ecological sense when you look at the habitat variety tolerance of the two.

Elk where originally a plains animal and have a much larger ability to inhabit larger degrees of habitat change then pronghorn.

Thus why pronghorn are all but gone on your old Ft Stockton place but elk thrive

Comment

OP, you did a good deed when someone needed your expertise and are now being rewarded. Good luck on your elk hunt and enjoy. Hope you follow up with some huge elk pics.

Comment

Working...
              X