No announcement yet.

Sportmanship-Lost art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep it’s still around but you have to look. Go out and watch some 1A-3A girls basketball. About the only place left with true sportsmanship. (In my opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      It starts out when they're turning 10.
      The son gets a ball from Dad for his birthday and asks dad to come on and play.
      Wants Dad to teach him out to throw.
      But Dad says not today, I got a lot to do.
      Boy says "That's Ok" and he walks away.
      But the boy's smile never dims.
      He just thinks, Yeah, I'm going to be like him. You know, I'm going to be like him.
      Now that song is stuck in my head.

Comment

College games are going to be a little more intense, especially this time of year with elimination games. You kind of just have to be ready for that. That said, I took my 11 year old to two college games last week, and I didn’t hear anything outside of typical heckling, certainly nothing to give me pause.

There is still tons of good sportsmanship out there too, if you chose to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          College games are going to be a little more intense, especially this time of year with elimination games. You kind of just have to be ready for that. That said, I took my 11 year old to two college games last week, and I didn’t hear anything outside of typical heckling, certainly nothing to give me pause.

There is still tons of good sportsmanship out there too, if you chose to see it.

I agree….Except for Tennessee I never saw anything I would call bad sportsmanship. The home field fans were rowdy at several venues but even the UT coach praised the fans and the energy when playing ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
            I agree….Except for Tennessee I never saw anything I would call bad sportsmanship. The home field fans were rowdy at several venues but even the UT coach praised the fans and the energy when playing ECU.
            I think in college elimination games, the rest of us need to attend at our own risk/discretion, and let the college kids create their atmosphere...within certain confines, of course. Either fall in line and enjoy it, or stay home. That's what college is about.

Now go to a game in NY, Boston, or Philly....you'll see real trash up there. Racism, vulgarity, and idiocy....all on display for all ages.

Comment

I think the atmosphere is College Station is generally regarded as "great" but the "ball 4, ball 5, ball 6, ball 7" directed at the opposing pitcher is tough.

It's one thing in that arena with 18-21 year olds, but I heard it this weekend at an 11U Select baseball tourney and it didn't sit well. It also didn't last long, so I think their own coaches and parents shut it down.

Comment

It's still around. Just harder to see with all the BS in the world today.

Comment

I can guarantee you one thing though, if the players act like *******s....the coach is an *******.
                  No truer words. Attitude ALWAYS reflects leadership.

Comment

My kid's team won a T-ball (yes, T-BALL) game by forfeit this weekend because all 4 coaches for the other team got ejected. Started with arguing a bang bang play at first base...then moved to pushing the umpire and spitting at her (yes, HER). I've never seen anything like it! Again...T-BALL!

Afterward, my 6 yo asks me "why didn't we get to finish our game?" Only thing I could come up with is some adults just can't seem to act like adults.

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
                      My kid's team won a T-ball (yes, T-BALL) game by forfeit this weekend because all 4 coaches for the other team got ejected. Started with arguing a bang bang play at first base...then moved to pushing the umpire and spitting at her (yes, HER). I've never seen anything like it! Again...T-BALL!

Afterward, my 6 yo asks me "why didn't we get to finish our game?" Only thing I could come up with is some adults just can't seem to act like adults.
                      Very few things on earth more stupid than parents acting like idiots at a kids event

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                        We had an overall great experience with Select baseball. Great competition, we traveled to some cool places to play. For those kids that want to play HS baseball, Select is almost a necessity. Every kid on his HS baseball team was a Select player.

There was always one or two teams that had orchestrated strategies to heckle and belittle players and teams. I always used it as a teaching point to my son. You can learn more from a bad example than from a good one sometimes.

I just do not understand why people act like complete idiots at some of these events and act completely different in their day to day lives.

....and I read no disrespect at all in your response.

Comment

I think at the college level between the players playing the actual game the sportsmanship part comes after the game. I personally am a fan of bat flips and a little **** talking if you strike someone out, it’s part of the game now days. Don’t like bat flips, don’t give up tanks. Don’t like the pitcher telling you to go sit down, put the ball in play.
                          Don’t like a linebacker standing over you talking sh**, deliver the blow.
                          It’s all part of how the game is played now days.
                          Now after the game if the **** talking persist then that’s where the sportsmanship issue comes into play in mind. Shake hands, good game, how we doing keep it moving.

Comment

"The truest test of a man's good name, is acceptace of failure, at losing a game with a smile and a handshake...and quiet, ever-building rage..."

I stole that from a song.

We see all kinds at baseball, but most are still inherently good. I can guarantee you one thing though, if the players act like *******s....the coach is an *******.

Tennessee was a perfect example in the NCAA baseball super regional....Tony Vitello is a complete ********...and his team acts like dickheads.
                            Didn't watch an inning of Tennessee except against LSU. I guess that they were well behaved in that game because they were winning. I heard nothing but ugly stuff about that team though from multiple sources. I hope Vitello crashes and burns.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
                              I think at the college level between the players playing the actual game the sportsmanship part comes after the game. I personally am a fan of bat flips and a little **** talking if you strike someone out, it’s part of the game now days. Don’t like bat flips, don’t give up tanks. Don’t like the pitcher telling you to go sit down, put the ball in play.
                              Don’t like a linebacker standing over you talking sh**, deliver the blow.
                              It’s all part of how the game is played now days.
                              Now after the game if the **** talking persist then that’s where the sportsmanship issue comes into play in mind. Shake hands, good game, how we doing keep it moving.

The ones who talk the most, are the ones who can’t handle getting it back. That’s the problem.

Comment

The boys I coach know better (10u). I don't care if we're up by 2 or down by 100, we will be an encouragement to our teammates. If we hear any of our boys disparaging the other team, they are running. Right then & there, they are pulled from the lineup and running around the field on the outside of the fence.

Comment

Working...
                                X