Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Year Lease vs Day Lease (in this economy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warrington View Post
    People spend $10k on their hobbies all day long- fishing, car racing, etc. hunting Kees me from anxiety and depression medicine along with the ability to avoid a therapist..... year long is my choice

Not about the size of the animals
    Yep, I like the way ya think.

Comment

On behalf of the TBH wives, we think you could benefit from the lease AND medication. We also request that you go to the lease more often.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
        People spend $10k on their hobbies all day long- fishing, car racing, etc. hunting Kees me from anxiety and depression medicine along with the ability to avoid a therapist..... year long is my choice

Not about the size of the animals
        I laughed out loud at this thinking of myself.🤣

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
          Going somewhere and shooting someone else's deer that they've fed & patterned doesn't do it for me. I get it, good leases are high, corn's $13, protein is $17, & diesel is $5.29 in my neck of the woods, but I haven't gotten to the "can't do it" level....yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black_foot_ View Post
            With the prices for corn($10+) and Protein ($22+) a bag and gas thru the roof.

Does it make more sense to go and spend $7-$12k on a weekend hunt (what we went to) vs spending the same amount or double/triple for a year long lease?

I think this could be potentially be setting the USA up, for how Europe has operated for decades when it comes to hunting.

Pay to play.

Interested in others thoughts on this.

I understand guys wanting the year long commitment, kids and all the positives about having a yearly place vs a game ranch. I am not interested in that I am strictly talking economic reasons here.
            I think OP just wants numbers. Not the why people choose a year lease over a day lease or vice versa.

Comment

economic reasons only. If I shoot 2 bucks, an axis buck and a few does. a day lease would be triple my lease amount.

Comment

Honestly for some of the lease prices now, I would rather save my money and go to Africa.

Comment

X2 on Africa

Comment

$200 a month to have a place in Fredericksburg. I Hunt, wife can shop and hit the wineries. How is that not a win win. Year around access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This year hurts from an economical standpoint. We have property we own and have been supplemental feeding for years. The drought has them hammering the protein. I also have a lease in West Texas (the get away from work place) which is currently in a worse drought. I can't for the life of me quit feeding when the deer when they need it. As Doghouse said "feed if you can." I figure I'm just paying things back for the years things were good. Hopefully the pocketbook can take it until things get better.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        I think OP just wants numbers. Not the why people choose a year lease over a day lease or vice versa.
                        "I think this could be potentially be setting the USA up, for how Europe has operated for decades when it comes to hunting.

Pay to play.

Interested in others thoughts on this."

None of the current costs of things will turn us into an Europe like hunting operation. The lack of accessible lands due to descendants wanting money over land is what would turn us into a day hunting nation.

Comment

I like to do both

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            Honestly for some of the lease prices now, I would rather save my money and go to Africa.

Yep. I haven’t been on a lease for going on 4 years and honestly I don’t miss it. Maybe it was some of the people in the group that just made it unenjoyable but we didn’t have the typical lease experience I’m used to. Plus the money I was spending to shoot a mediocre deer just wasn’t worth it. My wife and I will go day hunt this year and shoot a 150” whitetail and have a chance at a 36” axis for just slightly more than a lease was costing me (back when prices were much lower than they are now). We always have a blast and I enjoy sitting and seeing 10-12 different species of animals as well, even if I can’t (or won’t make myself) afford some of them.

The next 3-5 years after this one will be spent going out west chasing pronghorn, mule deer and elk.

Screw leasing in Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Read the OPs bolded last line.

There’s nothing cheap about day hunts/weekend ranch hunts etc.
                              if you’re worried about pinching pennies then those places ain’t for you. Just look at some of these site sponsors price list. You’re gonna spend $4,000-$5,000 on a two day hunt to shoot one Axis. That’s just the reality of today’s market. It’s not for the ones worried about the economy
                              Last edited by AntlerCollector; 06-13-2022, 08:14 PM.

Comment

From an economic standpoint I would probably spend the same amount regardless of which route I decided to take. I wouldn’t book a budget hunt. I’d go somewhere with nice lodging and chance at a “good” buck. It would be different if i wasn’t already set up to hunt a yearly lease. Thought about giving it all up but I’d just go buy a $100k Haynie to get down into the Laguna Madre. Lose-Lose situation financially.

Comment

Working...
                                X