another freezer question - temperature.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another freezer question - temperature.

My post about Freezer brands https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=844315

got me thinking about the inside temp of the freezer.

It had been set on 0 degrees but now hovers at 14 - 20 ish. What is normal ?

What prompted all of this is my wife bought ice cream and it would not freeze hard like the other stuff in there. She read up on itand said the coils may be dirty.

I looked at the back and it was sealed up & I didn't see any coils. but the compressor was hot.

0° to 5° F.

Dust and hair will clog the coils and make it run hot.
    Last edited by kurt68; 06-09-2022, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Find an clean the outside "condenser " coils and fan.
      Make sure the fan is going.
      Also the inner evaporator coils could be frozen.
      That would call for defrosting it freezer. If its not frost free or the frost free is not keeping up.
      Other than that it could be low on freon or have a bad thermostat .
      Just my 2 cents

Comment

well, there ain't an outside fan or coils. I did see towards the bottom of the freezer on the inside there appears to be an enclosure I can remove.
        So, I'll empty out the bottom and pull the cover and see what I can find out. Hopefully, it is as eaasy as defrosting the inner coils. We'll see.

Comment

I pulled the cover on the inside and the fins had some frosting on them. Not too bad. I am gonna empty it and defrost it completely and see if that helps. the digital display on the outside of door seems to be flakey. Not sure where thermastat is. Guess I'll research that as well.

Can freon be added to this system?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            I pulled the cover on the inside and the fins had some frosting on them. Not too bad. I am gonna empty it and defrost it completely and see if that helps. the digital display on the outside of door seems to be flakey. Not sure where thermastat is. Guess I'll research that as well.

Can freon be added to this system?
            No, if its low you have a leak. If you have a leak it wont take long to lose all the freon and it won't work at all. Likely not your issue

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

ordered a defrost thermastat and a thermistor. Hope that fixes it. Really would like to keep it as I hear hooror stories about the new ones. Next up is the control panel, if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                well, there ain't an outside fan or coils. I did see towards the bottom of the freezer on the inside there appears to be an enclosure I can remove.
                So, I'll empty out the bottom and pull the cover and see what I can find out. Hopefully, it is as eaasy as defrosting the inner coils. We'll see.
                I have never seen a freezer without a condenser coil and fan. It needs some way to move the heat from the inside to the outside.

Comment

the coils may be behind the back panel. It looks like a sealed unit. I didn't see any way to remove it. There is a fan inside the freezer, but I think it blows cold air up to the top of freezer. so, I took off the inside cover and let the fins defrost, but there wasn't much on them to start with. After all that and putting it back together and the meat back in, the control panel shows it at 20 degrees. Worse than before I messed with it. The control panel does seem to be flaking out a little, so I think I will replace it as it seems to be motherboard for the freezer.

Comment

The coils on ours were in the back. My wife thought ours was going out because the ice cream wasn't frozen hard. We bought a new refrig and gave the old my to a friend for her garage and when I rolled it out the coils were filthy. I cleaned them and the friend put the refrig in her house and been working like a charm for the past 6 months.

Comment

Well, I replaced the digital control unit(motherboard) on the front of the door as well as the thermistor and defrost thermastat.

I let it get down to about 35 and opened it back up to load it with the meat. It is down to 25.

It is about all I can do(no other moving parts cept for compressor).

hope it continues to go down to zero. Will be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                        I have never seen a freezer without a condenser coil and fan. It needs some way to move the heat from the inside to the outside.

No freezers have external condenser coils with fans. The coils on freezers are inside the cabinet. That’s why if you feel the sides and top of the freezer that’s why it’s warm.

Comment

Our freezers stay at about -15 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                            No freezers have external condenser coils with fans. The coils on freezers are inside the cabinet. That’s why if you feel the sides and top of the freezer that’s why it’s warm.
                            My freezer does! It has a fan to keep the compressor and the condenser coil cool.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                              Here's a video for you to watch. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQtsULVfZYU"]How to Clean the Condenser Coil on a Refrigerator - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X