Anyone leave while their oven is on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
    Y’all all turn your AC off when you leave the house too?

And the water valve to your toilets? Man some of you would go insane if you saw what all was running in my house with no one here. I use the timer on our stove to start the oven often while we are away to cook roasts and other things

When I was 9 our house burned down but it wasn’t that traumatic, lost some pics but otherwise most everything was replaceable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nope. Mom left dryer on at night growing up. One night almost burned the house down. Hot equals off if I’m not home.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
        I did yesterday
        Such a rebel.

Comment

We do it all the time. Propane stove. I also frequently finish briskets and such over night in the oven and just let the temp probe wake me up when done.

Comment

I do it a lot. In fact, my oven is designed to do that. I'll put whatever in the oven, put it on time cook so it will turn off when it is done and when I return it is ready.

Sometimes I will even put my food in the oven, set a delayed start for x hours, cook time for x time so it will start and stop on time. The risk with that is sometimes the gas oven doesn't start after 3 tries, it stops trying and I'll come home to a uncooked meal. But that rarely happens.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
              I guess you don’t have anything that money can’t replace. Had a house fire my senior year of high school there are lots of things money can’t replace.
              Good point. I am fortunate to have all the important items such as pictures backed up to cloud servers or in a safe. Thinking through everything else, my son is the only thing I couldn't move on from. In the grand scheme of things, everything we have is only an earthly possession.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I mean if we are that worried about it starting a fire, I would rather that happen when we aren't home than when we are there. No doubt there are some personal items that would be hard to lose but the only thing that truly can't be replaced would be my wife and kids.

Comment

Man some of probably hide from your own shadows! There is risk in anything. Which I
                  Do you think is more likely to happen, stove catch on fire or a terrible car accident, and yet, I bet you still drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                    Do y’all leave ceiling fans on while gone?

Trying to sleep one night and started seeing random flashes. Stared at fan and was shooting sparks out every few minutes. That thing got turned off and replaced next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My ex-wife's dad wouldn't go to bed with anything in the house plugged in. Not even a alarm clock. I think it was more so because he was cheap, and didn't want to spend the electricity than scared of a fire.

Comment

Crock pot yes, oven never have.

Comment

My wife does it multiple times per week. I even have the heater come on during the winter time when we aren't home.....

Comment

All the time

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                              My ex-wife's dad wouldn't go to bed with anything in the house plugged in. Not even a alarm clock. I think it was more so because he was cheap, and didn't want to spend the electricity than scared of a fire.

That is some world class cheap right there! Annoying as "bleep" cheap!

Yes we do leave the oven on. Only on low temp items though... I have done the roasts and wrapped a PB or brisket at 165-170 and finished in the oven if I need to run some errands or need a nap.. Do the crock pot all the time as well for beans and various dishes. Run the dryer and both washers too. Aaaaaand....leave a ceiling fan on to help circulate air for the AC/heater....

Comment

We regularly set the dishwasher to go off when we're gone, set the crock pot/instapot to go, set the Roomba to go, leave the A/C on!, etc.
                                The office area of my business burned up back in 1999. The fire was started by the wiring to a light fixture in the ceiling arcing and catching insulation on fire. The light fixture was NOT on at the time. So, the possibility of fire exists regardless of the precautions you take.
                                Don't live in fear.

Comment

Working...
                                X