Rotator Cuff Surgery Elk hut in 17 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
    all i can add is I had both Knees total replaced.....My Doc said 50% is Surgeon and 50% PT.. Take it easy on pain pills they will Plug You UP...I did one in March and one in May..and was in my opinion 99% in 6 to 8 weeks each...Was not that bad ...Hope and Pray yours will be similar.....
    i am on day 2 of pain meds, tomorrow is my last day, i hope to start PT the 31st

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
      Also make sure to tell your physical therapist you shoot bows and they will work in exercises to mimic shooting a bow for your recovery.
      ^^^this is very good advice.
      I did this as well and they designed exercises that simulated drawing a bow. They also created some that simulated casting and retrieving a rod n reel since I kayak fish a lot. I can draw and shoot my bow without much issue now but I still have my greatest pain and aggravation from fishing. It's slowly getting better tho.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Since you already had it done I recommend doing lots of therapy at home as well as going to PT

Google shoulder therapy pulleys, and get you some for stretching and getting your range of motion back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Done! Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
          i am on day 2 of pain meds, tomorrow is my last day, i hope to start PT the 31st
          I stayed off the pain meds other than ibuprofen and just sucked it up and endured it. They do stop me up and I didn't want deal with that. I don't think masking your pain is a good thing anyway, especially during pt. You can overdo it and cause damage if you can't feel your limits during exercises. JMO
          I felt my best during a week when I had a respiratory infection of some kind and doc gave me steroids for it. Man they made my shoulder feel great for about a week. The next week tho I had a lot of pain. I think it's because I overworked it the week it felt great.

Comment

There are many different levels of rotator cuff surgery that all require different recovery times.

Mine was about the easiest there is and your time line would have been possible but not comfortable.

Comment

I'm saying not a chance but I am not sure what all you had done either.
              I had a complete reconstruction of my left shoulder in April of 2021. Ended up with 6 bone anchors. 14 months later I'm still not normal but I can shoot my 72lb bow with slight pain... I went hard on the rehab for 4 months and made huge progress but since rehab I have babied it. I DO NOT EVER want to go through that again.. At 56 it was not enjoyable...

You must do the rehab and let them push it. They will try to make you cry during stretching I swear but trust them. I have 90% of my ROM back.. I didn't think it would be possible.
              Last edited by PondPopper; 05-21-2022, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                I'm saying not a chance but I am not sure what all you had done either.
                I had a complete reconstruction of my left shoulder in April of 2021. Ended up with 6 bone anchors. 14 months later I'm still not normal but I can shoot my 72lb bow with slight pain... I went hard on the rehab for 4 months and made huge progress but since rehab I have babied it. I DO NOT EVER want to go through that again.. At 56 it was not enjoyable...

You must do the rehab and let them push it. They will try to make you cry during stretching I swear but trust them. I have 90% of my ROM back.. I didn't think it would be possible.
                just repaired one tendon

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  Just rub some vagisil on it daily.....wait as long as you can to start practicing
                  LMAO yea, NAW!!!! That won't cut it..

Comment

just repaired one tendon
                    Not sure but good luck on the recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      Not sure but good luck on the recovery.
                      my doc said 12 weeks my PT will have me shooting my bow. The PT only does shoulders and supposed to be incredible

Comment

just repaired one tendon

my doc said 12 weeks my PT will have me shooting my bow. The PT only does shoulders and supposed to be incredible

Its possible

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                          I tore my rotator cuff in September of last year. Went on prednisone to finish my October bowhunt and after I got off it, if I tried to draw my bow it felt like it was gonna rip off. Arm hurt all the time.

Didn’t want to have the surgery so I layed off of it, stayed out of the gym and didn’t shoot my compound bow whatsoever ever. Was really particular on how I slept and kept it bent at a 45 degree angle on a pillow across my chest.

March I went back to the gym. April I was shooting my compound again. I would say I’m 85% back to normal now.

Everyone I talked to, including the doctor, said that surgery is a last ditch effort
                          When you have a bone spur on top of your rotator cuff that cuts everything when you raise your arm, you have no choice but surgery. They could not reattach one head of my biceps tendon due to scar tissue build up.

Comment

Three blown tendons & torn pechuga is what my doc had to deal with 4 years ago. 46 yrs old.

Lots of good advice here but at the end of the day your body will let you know when it's ready.

More than your body your mind is going to mess with you too.

I would test it out before you leave town.
                            You might ruin the trip for everyone when you draw back on a trophy and your shoulder explodes on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              When you have a bone spur on top of your rotator cuff that cuts everything when you raise your arm, you have no choice but surgery. They could not reattach one head of my biceps tendon due to scar tissue build up.
                              Same here. My upper biceps tendon is permanently detached and they did a lot of bone spur cleanup that was causing my tears.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                                Three blown tendons & torn pechuga is what my doc had to deal with 4 years ago. 46 yrs old.

Lots of good advice here but at the end of the day your body will let you know when it's ready.

More than your body your mind is going to mess with you too.

I would test it out before you leave town.
                                You might ruin the trip for everyone when you draw back on a trophy and your shoulder explodes on you.
                                it will be well tested before i leave, and this is not a trip you reschedule, it took 20 years to draw this tag. Im going even if its with a cross bow

Comment

Working...
                                X