No announcement yet.

side-hustle idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance I could hire you to hunt down and return some of the tools I’ve lent out and never seen again? Someone borrowed one of my compressors and a roofing nailer and I can’t remember who it was, and they obviously don’t mind seeing my name on my tools. Another neighbor actually moved away with some scaffolding years ago.
    I’d pay a bonus for a photo of them watching you load my tools up.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        I've noticed lately I have a bit of an obsession with tools. I hate not having the right tool for the job and I hate when a task takes longer and is sloppier because I don't have the tool I need. So I go out and buy a tool and use it once, then hold on to it forever for "the next time I need it."

I thought about setting up a free/cheap website where I can "rent" my tools out to folks in my neighborhood or surrounding areas. I live in a suburb so there's quite a few people. It's just a side hustle and I'm really just trying to pay for the tools themselves, so I can undercut home depot or other tool rental places.

The downside is these are MY tools and I know no one in the city treats things like they own it when they borrow something. Because of this, I would have a deposit that is the cost of the tool and it would be mandatory. If it's returned in the same condition, they get the deposit back. I would structure it in a way so you could rent it for four hours, a day, a few days, a week, etc.

What do you guys think? Worth doing?
        If I had the money to put a deposit down on the tool that is equal to the cost of the tool, why wouldn’t I just go buy the tool? Sure I *might* get the deposit back, assuming you are honest and fair. Even if I didn’t need it or have space for it, I could turn around and resell it and make much of my cost back, which would likely be close to what your rental fee was

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
          Funny you mention that. The airless paint sprayer will be here tomorrow, because I'm obsessed with using the right tool. My HVLP wouldn't work.
          I can throw an airless paint sprayer at approximately 74 miles per hour...

I am also a chronic tool buyer, and I have a bunch of them that I may never use again. But anything having to do with paint...should be disposable.
          Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-20-2022, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X