Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Wood Burning Stove in Spray in Insulation Barndo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your hvac system have an outside air intake duct?

Personally, I’d have a dedicated combustion air source for the wood burner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We built a barndo with spray insulation and a fireplace. Never use the fireplace. The central unit handles things just fine without the hauling logs and ashes.

Comment

we had draft issues with our chimney and got plain insulation. SO much we had to crack a window enough it let more cold in than the fire could fight. At. that time we had old crappy windows 4-5 years ago we had all the windows replaced with way better windows. I havent tried the fire since the new windows.

all that said I dont think it would be an issue if it drafts right

Comment

We have spray foam and a wood burning stove.
          Our builder put a vent through the wall behind the stove for draft and it works great.
          Also found out our house is so tight I can’t turn the vent hood on above the cooking stove or it will pull smoke into the house.

Comment

I just did this on my barndo build on my farm in Kansas. They added a fresh air intake through the wall to feed the stove. Works like a charm.

Comment

Dealing with this right now in our new house that is almost finished. I asked the builder about it and he pleaded stupid so I'm going to have to do it. I'm going to run the 6" vent pipe for the cook stove through a 10" for the replacement air. That way they will both be hidden behind the stove hood chimney.

Comment

Sounds like I need a vent but I'm not planning on putting it on a wall. I will have to figure that out I guess.

Comment

You need to get a modern stove. The nicer ones have a self regulating fresh air damper to pull in combustion air from outside.

If your HVAC guy knows what he is doing he will install an outside air damper on your air handler that will cycle in fresh air every so often.

Also if you are going to have a high CFM vent hood for the stove/oven you need to have a fresh air make up duct with a damper connected to open when the hood comes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

As stated by others… have a dedicated fresh air draw.
                    The stove will create a positive pressure and push the heat and air outwards of any gaps in your structure.
                    Otherwise with no dedicated fresh air draw… itll create a negative pressure and draw fresh air in through door cracks and other gaps.

Whilst burning a fire in the fireplace during the Icepocolypse, due to lack of a dedicated fresh air draw the negative pressure caused by the fire, snow drifts around the door gaps was causing the snow to be sucked into my house.

Good luck MrCehorn.

Comment

Will a couple of doggie doors be enough ventilation?

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                        There's an idea, I dang sure have enough doors....

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post

You really don’t want it pulling outside air into the open space you are trying to condition; kinda defeats the purpose.

It’s should be a dedicated fresh or intake dedicated to the stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

FWIW my sprayed in insulation Home has a fireplace with 2 vents thru the back wall.
                            House is too tight otherwise. Vents are closed when the fire is out.

BP.

Comment

I built out a conex for a living quarters at our lease with spray foam, and sold it to a good buddy who installed a wood stove when he moved it to his place. He hasn’t had any issues, and I’ve stayed out there a few times in it running the stove for 2-3 days straight. I did have carbon dioxide monitors installed prior to that, and they were working the last I was out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                                Dealing with this right now in our new house that is almost finished. I asked the builder about it and he pleaded stupid so I'm going to have to do it. I'm going to run the 6" vent pipe for the cook stove through a 10" for the replacement air. That way they will both be hidden behind the stove hood chimney.
                                Youv'e had your share of issues with that builder. I will make mental notes so when we build, I'll have a clue on this stuff.

btw...my shop is almost done. I'll go out there on my way back from lease Sunday and see what progress has been made.

Comment

Working...
                                X