Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Corvette bug finally got me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kck View Post
    Man that’s bad ***!!! I see that pic was from Fayetteville. I’m about 8 minutes away so roll that dog by my casa for a cold one so I can see it in person!
    I’m about 5 minutes away...I live between Fayetteville and Ellinger. Cold beer does sound good, just let me know when!

Comment

Awesome find Kaleb!

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
        That's pretty dang nice. One of the few GM products I would like to own. Would be a 1968 or 69 427 Corvette, or a 1970 LS6 454 Corvette, the 70, with the LS6 would be my top choice. The only transmission choice for any of those three, would be the Muncie 4 speed.
        Then the other car I would like to have would be a 72-74, black Trans AM, with a 455 and a Muncie 4 speed.

I love the looks of the 63 Vettes with the split window, but unfortunately they only had 327s at that point in time.

Finding a low mileage LS6 4 speed 70 Vette, you did pretty dang good. I would probably pull the engine and transmission, pack them up in sealed crates. Then build a new engine, with modern aluminum heads, good intake, EFI, at least a 502, maybe a blower, like a Vortech YSI or something, to give it a little extra kick, then a TR 6060 transmission. Then drive the hell out of that thing.

You got a very cool ride, of Corvettes that has to be near the top.

Not sure why you would remove the factory engine / trans but if you did there are much better options than a BBC in that car

Comment

You did good. Be sure to keep plenty of grease in that rear end.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Sweeeet Car!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                Awesome find Kaleb!
                Thanks Brent!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Not sure why you would remove the factory engine / trans but if you did there are much better options than a BBC in that car
                  Because it is a BBC car, and having a big cubic inch engine in it, would be nice, but having a BBC that makes a lot more hp than the factory engine would make the car more fun to drive. Yes doing a LS based LS7 would be nice, but with the car being an original big block car, I would probably keep a big block in it.

On the part of your not sure why I would remove the factory engine and transmission, I would want a lot more hp than stock. I am used to cars that make a lot more hp than that old LS6 ever made. Then those old Corvettes are heavy, they could use some more hp. Then the old Muncie has no OD, as you should know, so, if you put good gearing in the car, the engine will be screaming, as you are going down the freeway. That will shorten the life of the engine, and result in the car running quite a bit hotter. Those old Vettes run hot, if everything is not just right. So puttig some 4.56 gears in the rear, you are not going to cruise down the freeway at 75 to 80 mph for very long. The fuel mileage is not going to be good, that's just a given. But it would be worse if you put something like 4.56 gears in it and tried to run it down the freeway. With a TR 6060, you could have 4.56s or 4.88s and cruise down the road, at lower rpm than the car did with the original rear gears and the Muncie. Then run cooler also. If you put a good 6 spd in the car, and drop the cruising rpm a lot. Then are able to drive the car at 75 to 80 mph and keep the rpms low. You will get much more air flow through the front of the car, which will help the cooling. Then with the engine only turning around 2000 to 2200 rpm, instead of 4500 rpm to 4800 rpm, it will run a lot cooler. More so being a big block.

Basically the 6 spd would make the car much more useable. With gas prices where they are and where they are going to go. Then having a 70 LS6 Corvette, so it's the high compression, iron headed engine. It's going to run hot, and drink a lot of fuel. So after a few longer cruises, it will probably spend a lot more time in the garage and much less time cruising.

But the original old factory high compression big block and the old Muncie, are very cool stuff, I would not get rid of. Maybe a better option would be the keep the LS6 car stock, and limit it to short low speed cruising. Then find a 69 Vette, that was originally a 350 car, then put a nice, modern aluminum headed big cubic inch big block, with a 6 spd in it.

I have owned numerous old muscle cars, worked on a lot of them, driven a lot. We have had a 69 Vette in the family for many years. I have known quite a few people who have owned BBC cars, some with BBC Vettes.

I like to keep the looks and original feel of the old cars. Meaning I do like driving old muscle cars with old suspension and transmissions and steering. Because that's the way those cars were built back then. But as much as I do like that stuff. The modern stuff works so much better. So having one car with all of the old original sound and driving feel is cool. But then having a car you can really drive, drive fast all over the place and not have to worry about it boiling over, if you sit in traffic too long or for whatever other reason.

Those old Vette are cool cars, but they do have over heating problems, the small block cars will run hot, most of the summer. But BBCs are known for running hot and over heating. You should experience a BBC iron headed old high compression Vette. If you ever own one, and like to drive it, you will learn quickly, when driving in the summer, in Texas, that it does not take much for them to get quite hot. They really need to be moving along at least freeway speeds to get plenty of air flow through that nose and through the radiator. But then you are turning decent rpm, depending on the transmission and gearing in the rear. If you have a high compression, iron headed BBC, and you are having to run it at 3000 to 3500 rpm on the freeway, it's a balancing act to keep it from getting too hot. I know my 69 Mach, with only 3.50 gears, was running 3500 rpm most of the time on the highway, that was cruising around the 55 mph speed limit. Now with 70 and 75 mph speed limits you would be turning a lot more rpm, more so if you had 3.73 or 4.10 gears in the rear. Who wants to own a 1970 LS6 and be the one driving 55 mph on a 75 mph freeway.
                  That's why I would swap out the Muncie for a TR 6060. I would want to drive the hell out of the car. I am not a parking lot, show car guy. I own fast cars to enjoy driving them. If you own a LS6 70 model Vette, what good is it, if you just sit around talking about how bad *** it is and don't really use it. You might as well own a base 350 car. You will get just as much enjoyment from staring at a base 350 car, sitting in a parking lot as a high compression LS6 car. When you fire the car up, drive it out of the dang parking lot and stick your foot into that right pedal and start kicking that left pedal, that's when owning a 70 LS6 becomes enjoyable. But if you do that much, with all original parts in Texas, during the summer, it won't take long, till you are sitting on the side of the road, with steam blowing out of the radiator.

I love those cars, but I have a good understanding of reality.

Comment

Nice find. I bought a new 1977 L82, 350/350. New wore off within 3 months but I was cool while it lasted. Had to keep on driving it till 120K miles and finally got into something that would hold more than one passenger and a bill of groceries. Glass T-tops were nice but AC would not cool very good so I traded them for solid tops to match the white color of the car. Now I wish I still had it.

Comment

Originally posted by One_Shot View Post
                      I’m about 5 minutes away...I live between Fayetteville and Ellinger. Cold beer does sound good, just let me know when!
                      I’m down that road almost weekly headed to my place in Frelsburg. May just holler and stop by soon.

Comment

I know where thats parked at. Nice ride

Comment

Working...
                        X