No announcement yet.

Restoring old pickup advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First thing I'd do is take a really good look at the body and frame to see if it's even worth messing with a restoration. For most run of the mill builds an engine costs 5-10k while half decent body work and paint costs a whole heck of a lot more. Next would be a compression test and an oil pressure test. Those will tell you if the engine is in any sort of shape. If it's not, then you need to decide if you want to rebuild or put a crate motor in it. Main thing is have a plan, make a budget, then triple it. My Scout has been a work in progress for a few years now. I've gotten it to where I can cruise around town, but the reality is it'll take a lot more money than I'm willing to spend to really restore it. It runs good and gives me something to tinker with, so +1 on the comment on getting it drivable to keep interest. When you see my hoopty coming best move over!

Comment

Step 1. Spend a lot of money: there is generally nothing cheap about a restoration unless you have the time, patience, and skills to do everything single thing yourself. And even then parts aren’t cheap.

I’d also going to echo the running project mentioned earlier. If you are asking these questions I’m going to guess this will be the first project car for you. Get something running at least somewhat otherwise it can get Overwhelming fast. Especially if you don’t have space to store it out of the weather and out of your wife’s way.

Comment

Get it running see if you like it enough to spend the money to do the job it must make financial sense to you

Ron
        Attached Files

Comment

Get it running and driving and have fun with it. Then do a little at a time. I would bet there are more full restoration projects sold as basket cases then finished.

Comment

People who restore old vehicles do it for the love of the truck/car....its not a money making endeavor, unless you have a really rare car and its a high end ( Barret Jackson) type rebuild....
            I have a 59 Apache that I did a frame off resto on and I have over 60K in and I would be happy if I got $40k for it.......

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              Don't do it. Usually have lots more money in it that you can sale it for. If you enjoy the process, more power to you.
              This

Comment

I got a 46 CJ2A that I thought would be fun to restore. Pour gas and oil all over your body and tear up Hundred and you have the same sensation.

Comment

Dont forget to add you might get 7mpg like me

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. All the pros & cons will be taken into consideration.

Comment

All depends on what the plan is for the vehicle. Are you planning on showing it? Are you upgrading the engine to modern? How much rust? Looking for patina or good paint? It makes a whole lot more sense to buy a restored one but what fun is that.

Comment

What kind of truck?

Comment

If you are doing a frame off restore, be prepared for a long process and have patience.

As others are saying, you will put more money into it than you will get out. And thats not including the cost of your time.

Try to enjoy it and learn from it. And know your limits.

Have fun and good luck.

J

Comment

And don't forget about all the stuff that you will have to buy even before you get started. Like a welder, rods, sand blaster, paint sprayer, etc.,etc.,etc. And then you need a dedicated space to work on it, because it will sit there for several years. My advice, call a local hot rod (antique) car club and see if anyone would be interested. Then sell it quick !!

Comment

I'm watching this thread. Got a '53 Chevy pickup in my garage now, body is off the frame.

Comment

Depends on how far down youre taking it and what the timeline is. Also if youre outsourcing work or not. I have seen guys have the engine rebuilt and it sits for 5+ years before its to the point of starting. Thats no bueno. If youre having work subbed out I would take the truck apart and start with driveline (brakes, suspensions). Then do wiring. If youre having body work done I would do the wiring after, and have the engine redone at the same time its in the body shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X