How dangerous is Fentanyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    If they make choices in their lives like doing drugs I do. I've had to separate myself from people that party too much just because that's not my goal in life. You are who you hang out with. I know what path I'm on in life and I'm not going to let anyone or anything lead me astray. If my best friend were to start doing drugs today he wouldn't be my best friend when the sun came up tomorrow.

I don't know if that's what you mean by watch them struggle but that's the way I understood the question.

If they're struggling due to addiction problems I'm not going to go broke helping someone that most likely doesn't want help. I'll just part ways and wish them well. I can't let other people's decisions in life ruin mine. I can't and I won't.

I do understand your premise. That said, your contradictions are clear.
    You say if your best friend started doing drugs today he wouldn’t be your best friend in the morning….. I’m taking that as you’ve never had a true best friend, otherwise you wouldn’t think that way. True friends, friends, and acquaintances aren’t the same. I regard and love my best friend the very same as my own blood, I’m lucky to have a true friend. That said, if he or a family member should ever have that struggle, guess I’ll be fighting it with them for the long haul.
    You say you’ve seen more and more hardships than most? I’m sure you’ve been through bad, we all have…. That’s part of living this thing we call life.
    And doright hit it on the head…..love goes a long way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
      I do understand your premise. That said, your contradictions are clear.
      You say if your best friend started doing drugs today he wouldn’t be your best friend in the morning….. I’m taking that as you’ve never had a true best friend, otherwise you wouldn’t think that way. True friends, friends, and acquaintances aren’t the same. I regard and love my best friend the very same as my own blood, I’m lucky to have a true friend. That said, if he or a family member should ever have that struggle, guess I’ll be fighting it with them for the long haul.
      You say you’ve seen more and more hardships than most? I’m sure you’ve been through bad, we all have…. That’s part of living this thing we call life.
      And doright hit it on the head…..love goes a long way

I've thought that way myself and I've seen it take a turn for the worse. Helping someone who is struggling through addiction problems isn't like helping the same person they were before. From the outside looking in I've seen that scenario play out. I've seen people with addiction problems pull the wool over people's eyes and take money from them. And they will take every last penny you have at that point. It doesn't matter how much you love them they will lie and steal from you because the person you love isn't there anymore once addiction takes control.

If someone that couldn't swim kept jumping in the deep end, of course you'll jump in and save them. For as long as you had to. But eventually you'll get tired. And they'll drag you down and you'll drown with them.

As for going through more than most I can't say. There are many people here. But hey when shots are fired and personal attacks on my stance on things are being thrown around like everyone knows me I figured I might as well let people know why I think the way I do and why I have the stance I do on certain things. I don't know if people thought I just woke up and dreamt all this stuff up or what. No not really......I've lived it. I ain't just pulling this stuff out of thin air. If I didn't see the way things play out and wasn't able to speak through personal experience I wouldn't be talking.

The best way to find out what lies in the road ahead is to ask someone who is coming back.
      Last edited by okrattler; 05-13-2022, 06:42 AM.

Comment

We are feeling it in the High schools. Multiple deaths this year.

Without telling my students what we were talking about I had them pass around a sweet n low packet. Told them to make an observation on weight and size. Then I told the last person to read the weight on the packet. 1 gram. 1,000 mg. I then told them we are discussing fentanyl. 2mg is a fatal dose so that tiny packet will kill 500 people. That was lesson 1.

Lesson 2 was for them to understand no kid is going out and trying to score a bag of fentanyl. It is being added to almost all other drugs especially heroin, coke, and ecstasy. You don’t overdose on fentanyl, you are poisoned with it. They thought people were doing fentanyl on purpose and as long as they would never buy it they would be fine. You don’t find fentanyl, it finds you. No generation has had to deal with this before and every generation has experimented with drugs throughout history.

Then I asked them what the leading cause of death for 18-45 year olds is. Cancer! Nope. Obesity! Nope. Heart Disease! Nope.

Fentanyl

One thing I don’t care for is fentanyl test strips are illegal in TX. If my kid became an addict Id rather him/her have a chance to live by being safe than get that call. Its easy to say “well they shouldn’t be doing drugs” but kids do and when they are poisoned to death with fentanyl it is a very sad deal. Walk a mile in those shoes before you judge. Imagine your child dead. Your govt doesn’t care. They are getting rich off of this just like the opioid crisis and so the border remains wide open.

Comment

I don't know if any of you guys watch Vigilance Elite on YouTube but there was a guy on there recently who has Intel on the Cartel in Mexico. Apparently there is a new drug that is way more potent than Fentanyl.

To me that's just insane. The fact that fentanyl exist is crazy enough. As someone who has never even smoked weed I just have to wonder, why? What is the meaning of all of this? Getting drunk is one thing. Getting so high that your soul leaves your body doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

I think I've seen my fair share of pain and hard times during my time on this earth. I don't ever want to be in so much pain I have to take something like that. I don't see how it's even possible. Life is not that hard. It's just not.

They aren’t knowingly taking it in 99.99 cases.

Comment

I've thought that way myself and I've seen it take a turn for the worse. Helping someone who is struggling through addiction problems isn't like helping the same person they were before. From the outside looking in I've seen that scenario play out. I've seen people with addiction problems pull the wool over people's eyes and take money from them. And they will take every last penny you have at that point. It doesn't matter how much you love them they will lie and steal from you because the person you love isn't there anymore once addiction takes control.

If someone that couldn't swim kept jumping in the deep end, of course you'll jump in and save them. For as long as you had to. But eventually you'll get tired. And they'll drag you down and you'll drown with them.

As for going through more than most I can't say. There are many people here. But hey when shots are fired and personal attacks on my stance on things are being thrown around like everyone knows me I figured I might as well let people know why I think the way I do and why I have the stance I do on certain things. I don't know if people thought I just woke up and dreamt all this stuff up or what. No not really......I've lived it. I ain't just pulling this stuff out of thin air. If I didn't see the way things play out and wasn't able to speak through personal experience I wouldn't be talking.

The best way to find out what lies in the road ahead is to ask someone who is coming back.
            I've seen both. I've seen people go down the tubes and I've seen people rise up from the ashes and turn their life around. I guess I hold hope for everyone that the latter is always possible. I don't give up easily in my life or on theirs. You don't have to let someone drag you down by helping them. That is a choice you make. Helping someone and being their friend doesn't destroy me or my life. I'm a friend through thick and thin. I'm strong enough to hold my own thru Christ who strengthens me.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Like I said, I see where you are coming from. And I understand the basis and agree with it.

Never thought you were pulling stuff from thin air either, but stating that we all experience the ups, downs and hardships, and what’s a hardship for one might not be viewed as that bad by another.

My statement about going the long haul for my friend and family….. yes sir, I’m there for a fight to the end.
              Addiction making someone not be there anymore, they’re still there….. and still feel love.
              Personally, turning my back on a loved one because it could be tough…I don’t have that in me

Yes, there are folks I wouldn’t pizz on if they were burning
              The road ahead, I’ll figure that out for myself.

My horse has short legs btw. Key words for my stance is “loved ones”

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                If a lot of drug users choose to use fentanyl, it will greatly reduce our drug using community. That stuff is very dangerous. I think the word will and or has gotten around in that world enough, that there are probably a bunch that will not touch it. The heroin users, who are seriously messed up after years of using that drug and teens, who don't fully understand how dangerous it is. wanting to try something new are probably the ones willing to try it, most often.

No one chooses fentanyl, thats the point.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  It's chemical warfare in my book.. No different than sending anthrax across the border.. It's is poison and their goal is to kill Americans with it and it is working.
                  Not everyone dying from this crap is intentionally ingesting it.

The cartels are terrorizing this country with it. Label them as terrorist organizations and send in the military. Wipe them off the face of the earth.. But we can't have that because politicians would be getting huge pay cuts!!!

Almost no one is intentionally using it. You would have to have a specialized scale to measure micro grams. If you OD on fentanyl you were poisoned.

If someone put rat poison in your vodka did you drink yourself to death?

Last edited by Ætheling; 05-13-2022, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                    Your govt doesn’t care. They are getting rich off of this just like the opioid crisis and so the border remains wide open.
                    It's all politics. Every warm body that comes across that border is a future Democrat voter. That's why they won't lift a finger to slow it down. That's why so many of those illegals are sent to borderline red/blue states, and that's why they're allowing hundreds of thousands of them into Texas - they know if Texas turns blue, we'll never have another Republican president. We're almost there: remember in the Clinton/Trump race, Hillary Clinton got 44% of the Texas vote. We're looking over the edge of the cliff. A steadily growing number of liberal cities (e.g. San Francisco, cities in NY, NJ, etc.) are already allowing illegals to vote in local elections.

As far as the cartels, no way we're going to stop them. They are HUGE, with thousands of members, trained and armed with the latest weapons technology, and billions and billions of dollars in cash. It's not like we'd drop a couple of bombs or send in some troops and they'd be history. They control every square inch of Mexico, and anybody who looks at them the wrong way can end up chopped to pieces and stuffed in a trash bag. Seriously - these guys make ISIS look like a bunch of Girl Scouts.

The only way we can stop this mess is to make a TIGHT border. Build the freaking wall, cram it with sensors and armed patrols, so tight an ant can't get through. Not going to happen, though, as long as the Democrats are running the country.
                    Last edited by Ruark; 05-13-2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                      Like I said, I see where you are coming from. And I understand the basis and agree with it.

Never thought you were pulling stuff from thin air either, but stating that we all experience the ups, downs and hardships, and what’s a hardship for one might not be viewed as that bad by another.

My statement about going the long haul for my friend and family….. yes sir, I’m there for a fight to the end.
                      Addiction making someone not be there anymore, they’re still there….. and still feel love.
                      Personally, turning my back on a loved one because it could be tough…I don’t have that in me

Yes, there are folks I wouldn’t pizz on if they were burning
                      The road ahead, I’ll figure that out for myself.

My horse has short legs btw. Key words for my stance is “loved ones”

I can see both sides of it. I really can. But it definitely changes a persons outlook on things when they've been burnt and you've seen people you care about getting burned over and over. You want for the person struggling to change. But unfortunately until they make that choice for their self they'll stay the same. There's a fine line between helping and enabling as well. Which is usually what happens in these situations.

As people it's normal to want to help. But if someone is going through something from within that is help designated for people who specialize in that kind of help. If you see someone you love struggling I think people gravitate towards giving them money first because that's really the only help they know how to give. It's a helpless feeling and you want what's best for them. But at that point addiction has taken control and money is fuel for that addiction. So in the end it ends up hurting them worse.

My cousin lived with us for a while after her divorce. At first I didn't think anything was wrong. Never thought anything of it. My grandma's medicine started going missing and nobody could figure out why. One night my cousin was acting super strange. I went to bed and about every 10 minutes or so she would come into my room and look at me for a few minutes. It was dark and looking back on it now she's was trying to see if I was asleep. It freaked me out. Unbeknownst to me or anyone else my grandma was writing her checks left and right. Not knowing she was buying drugs with her money. She ended up moving away and eventually checked herself into rehab. But only after her mother had given her thousands upon thousands of dollars. Never had a clue that there was a problem. I don't think it's because the signs weren't there she just chose not to believe she needed anything other than financial help.

So as cold hearted as it may seem I think that's what makes it easier for me to turn my back on a person that's going through that. I'm not saying it's right. But I just can't allow someone to do that to me.

Comment

I can see both sides of it. I really can. But it definitely changes a persons outlook on things when they've been burnt and you've seen people you care about getting burned over and over. You want for the person struggling to change. But unfortunately until they make that choice for their self they'll stay the same. There's a fine line between helping and enabling as well. Which is usually what happens in these situations.

As people it's normal to want to help. But if someone is going through something from within that is help designated for people who specialize in that kind of help. If you see someone you love struggling I think people gravitate towards giving them money first because that's really the only help they know how to give. It's a helpless feeling and you want what's best for them. But at that point addiction has taken control and money is fuel for that addiction. So in the end it ends up hurting them worse.

My cousin lived with us for a while after her divorce. At first I didn't think anything was wrong. Never thought anything of it. My grandma's medicine started going missing and nobody could figure out why. One night my cousin was acting super strange. I went to bed and about every 10 minutes or so she would come into my room and look at me for a few minutes. It was dark and looking back on it now she's was trying to see if I was asleep. It freaked me out. Unbeknownst to me or anyone else my grandma was writing her checks left and right. Not knowing she was buying drugs with her money. She ended up moving away and eventually checked herself into rehab. But only after her mother had given her thousands upon thousands of dollars. Never had a clue that there was a problem. I don't think it's because the signs weren't there she just chose not to believe she needed anything other than financial help.

So as cold hearted as it may seem I think that's what makes it easier for me to turn my back on a person that's going through that. I'm not saying it's right. But I just can't allow someone to do that to me.

I see both sides as well. 26-27 years ago after a long pill addiction a close friend decided to stick a 9mm in his mouth. His addiction was pretty rough on those that tried to help.

I’ll stick to my stance concerning my loved ones, right, wrong or indifferent

I’m in a small town also, last week while getting gas and having small talk with the guy on the other side of the pump a local in and out of jail thieving tweeker walked by to bum a smoke……..when he walked away we started talking about the local crime and druggies.
                        I made the comment about fentanyl ending up in one of the first of the month drug deliveries to town, and I wasn’t joking

Comment

Yeah, you can't FORCE somebody to change themselves and turn their life around. If they're not willing and dedicated to taking those first steps, there's nothing you can do for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                            We are feeling it in the High schools. Multiple deaths this year.

Without telling my students what we were talking about I had them pass around a sweet n low packet. Told them to make an observation on weight and size. Then I told the last person to read the weight on the packet. 1 gram. 1,000 mg. I then told them we are discussing fentanyl. 2mg is a fatal dose so that tiny packet will kill 500 people. That was lesson 1.

Lesson 2 was for them to understand no kid is going out and trying to score a bag of fentanyl. It is being added to almost all other drugs especially heroin, coke, and ecstasy. You don’t overdose on fentanyl, you are poisoned with it. They thought people were doing fentanyl on purpose and as long as they would never buy it they would be fine. You don’t find fentanyl, it finds you. No generation has had to deal with this before and every generation has experimented with drugs throughout history.

Then I asked them what the leading cause of death for 18-45 year olds is. Cancer! Nope. Obesity! Nope. Heart Disease! Nope.

Fentanyl

One thing I don’t care for is fentanyl test strips are illegal in TX. If my kid became an addict Id rather him/her have a chance to live by being safe than get that call. Its easy to say “well they shouldn’t be doing drugs” but kids do and when they are poisoned to death with fentanyl it is a very sad deal. Walk a mile in those shoes before you judge. Imagine your child dead. Your govt doesn’t care. They are getting rich off of this just like the opioid crisis and so the border remains wide open.

Excellent idea! As a 17 year Paramedic, I've responded to way too many calls for deceased young people who tried a drug and never woke up. I've seen the devastation on the faces of families that lost their child the summer before starting College on an academic scholarship. Some of these kids had very bright futures ahead and one bad decision ended their lives.

I could have easily been in the same situation at that age. We need educators that care less about politics and agendas and more about creating strong, educated young people.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                              It's all politics. Every warm body that comes across that border is a future Democrat voter. That's why they won't lift a finger to slow it down. That's why so many of those illegals are sent to borderline red/blue states, and that's why they're allowing hundreds of thousands of them into Texas - they know if Texas turns blue, we'll never have another Republican president. We're almost there: remember in the Clinton/Trump race, Hillary Clinton got 44% of the Texas vote. We're looking over the edge of the cliff. A steadily growing number of liberal cities (e.g. San Francisco, cities in NY, NJ, etc.) are already allowing illegals to vote in local elections.

As far as the cartels, no way we're going to stop them. They are HUGE, with thousands of members, trained and armed with the latest weapons technology, and billions and billions of dollars in cash. It's not like we'd drop a couple of bombs or send in some troops and they'd be history. They control every square inch of Mexico, and anybody who looks at them the wrong way can end up chopped to pieces and stuffed in a trash bag. Seriously - these guys make ISIS look like a bunch of Girl Scouts.

The only way we can stop this mess is to make a TIGHT border. Build the freaking wall, cram it with sensors and armed patrols, so tight an ant can't get through. Not going to happen, though, as long as the Democrats are running the country.
                              Border patrol just caught a shipment of meth at a bridge, dogs sniffed it out. 900lbs of it hidden on an 18-wheeler loaded with steel scrap. $18M dollars street, on one truck, I would imagine that this amounts to a grain of salt in the sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                                Being 3ft away from drugs doesn’t kill you. Some people turn their life around after a near death OD some people die the next week. Some people die at 35 from eating mcdonalds some people play with snakes. Everyone sins in their own way all sin leads to death. Everyone deserves to hear the gospel and another chance.
                                Amen Brother. Very well said.

Comment

Working...
                                X