No announcement yet.

Weekend Rolling Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father just told me this morning that the local paper had an article showing that the largest bitcoin project in the state of Texas was going in at Angus, TX just south of Corsicana off I-45. Max electric load posted in newspaper was 1.7GW at the bitcoin facility!!!!

Big Brown coal plant generated 1.15GW peak at their units!! Before it was demo'ed!

Hope you got a generator because it going to be dark and hot this or the next summer in Texas!!

People just don't get it. We are so used to flipping the switch and the lights come on. That is coming to an end and we will not have a fast fix for this. You do not build power plants in two weeks!! It is scary what is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
      My father just told me this morning that the local paper had an article showing that the largest bitcoin project in the state of Texas was going in at Angus, TX just south of Corsicana off I-45. Max electric load posted in newspaper was 1.7GW at the bitcoin facility!!!!

Big Brown coal plant generated 1.15GW peak at their units!! Before it was demo'ed!

Hope you got a generator because it going to be dark and hot this or the next summer in Texas!!

People just don't get it. We are so used to flipping the switch and the lights come on. That is coming to an end and we will not have a fast fix for this. You do not build power plants in two weeks!! It is scary what is coming.
      I have a generator and it’s still scary. How many people can afford to run a generator even half the time ?

Comment

Gotta mine the coins!

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
          In outage for repairs.
          Any idea how many other plants are doing repairs or maintenance right now and won’t be at full capacity by the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
            I got out of wind about 7 months ago, I’m working at a power plant that has 2 gas turbines and 1 steam turbine.
            I remember you being a VERY big proponent of wind energy. I’m in natty gas. Why’d you move? (Last question as to not derail the thread. Genuinely interested)

Comment

One of the many good things about living out in the sticks is our power hardly ever gets shut off. Not enough people on the grid to gain much!

Comment

Im going to be cool as a cucumber.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                  Any idea how many other plants are doing repairs or maintenance right now and won’t be at full capacity by the weekend?
                  I’m not too sure about other plants, we have older equipment that needs more maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                    One of the many good things about living out in the sticks is our power hardly ever gets shut off. Not enough people on the grid to gain much!
                    In my part of the sticks, more people are moving in every year !

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      I remember you being a VERY big proponent of wind energy. I’m in natty gas. Why’d you move? (Last question as to not derail the thread. Genuinely interested)
                      I was in wind for about 6 years. I commented a lot about it on here because of all the misinformation that was being said. The money was good but I wanted something more stable, I work for a local municipality now. The pays ok but the insurance and retirement are great.

Comment

Gas turbines are expensive to maintain and need it done regularly. we had 9 mobile ones out here in Odessa at $9mil each and could hardly keep one up at a time. we now use a mobile sub station @13.8 kv

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          This is a legit issue that nobody wants to seem to acknowledge or recognize. There are several more in the making and they can't spend their money fast enough to get them built. The Bitcoin mining facilities are getting built 100x faster than a power plant can be built.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                            This is a legit issue that nobody wants to seem to acknowledge or recognize. There are several more in the making and they can't spend their money fast enough to get them built. The Bitcoin mining facilities are getting built 100x faster than a power plant can be built.
                            You'd figure someone running this state would have enough brains to tell them no.
                            They should build their own generation plants if they will be consuming that much energy. I'm sure the permitting for a new power plant can be approved as quickly as congress approves themselves a new raise.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                              Summer's come on too fast for the generic outage schedule allowed year to year.

Funny thing is when all the wind and solar came online the old coals were shutdown, you know because we have wind and solar now.

I heard this morning (on a call w/ our plants scheduling/trading dept) that solar is supposed to hit a record 9K mw's for ERCOT this weekend. Still ain't enough to fill the outage gap obviously.

The GT/HRB outage I'm working isn't scheduled to come back online until early June.
                              Today is day 17 for me, only 30 more to go .
                              Already served my 50 day outage duty - 1700 MWs ready to print money baby!

Disclaimer: power prices are finally out of the ditch as natural gas prices have soared to over $8. Good for coal, bad for natural gas plants.

Comment

We have frequent power outages as we're on part of Oncor's grid that is at max capacity, yet they keep stamping out new home developments. Heavy winds are usually the cause (or it is a total coincidence), we were out for a total of about 4 hrs yesterday. I re-configured my electrical panel with an interlock and breaker for a generator and added an inlet box near the meter, picked up a generator a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately many people are unprepared.

Comment

Working...
                                X