No announcement yet.

Serious Thread for once...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate all the great info you guys have shared!! Lots of great ideas. Most of which I had not thought about yet.

Comment

Be financially stable, increasing costs and change are the only two guarantees in life. Make sure your health insurance is taken care, increasing premiums, fewer docs that accept certain insurance, etc. You age, the old man need for more doc visits is reality, unfortunately.

Have a purpose. For most, employment provides a "purpose" for the day. Doesn't matter what you decide to do-hunt, fish, golf, garden blah, blah, just get out of the house and do something. Get healthy if you're not. Lose weight, eat better.

For some, the job defined who they were. Leads to plenty of issues, doesn't matter if you WERE a top salesman, cop, dr, yard guy you're NOT anymore. No one wants to listen to old stories.

DON'T MOVE and buy somewhere else for at least six months. Rent first, a long time vacation spot is a lot different year round or even part time. Never hurts to rent. I bought my Arkansas place from a guy who retired and immediately moved. He quickly realized being in the country was fun for a short time, but didn't want to live there full time.

Post retirement, I thought for sure we'd move full time to Arroyo City, after spending more and more time down there, I realized there was a lot of stuff I enjoy doing other than fishing. A lot cheaper to rent and hire a guide versus buying a place and a boat.

Lots of folk retire seamlessly, others decline mentally and physically because they can't or won't transition. Most of all, just wake up and be grateful, thankful and appreciative for the stage you're now entering. It's awesome.

Comment

"People sacrifice their health to gain their wealth then spend all their wealth trying to regain health. Bad strategy."

Great Advice.

Comment

The best thing to keep life interesting and enjoyable is to wake every morning, thank the Good Lord that you woke up and then do anything EXCEPT what you had planned on doing that day.
          When I retired we bought a house on Lake Fork and hung my boat in the boathouse thinking I would fish at least five days a week. Lived there for six years and fished about eight times so we sold it and bought 10 acres between Lake Fork and Lake Tawakoni and spent the last 2 years building our retirement home and have enjoyed every mail I drove.
          So, tomorrow I’ll get up and do everything except what planned on doing.
          LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Big thing is make sure you can retired financially and with health care. We made double house payments my last 10 years of work and made the last payment the month before I retired at 51 yrs old. My work contract gave me the amount I would get a month plus health insurance until I went on medicare. My wife loved work as an OB nurse and worked until she was 65 yrs old. I burried her because of cancer 2 years later. She hardly enjoyed her 2 years of her retirement with medical issues. That was 3 years ago and it has been the sadest time in my life as I miss her so much. I am seeing someone now but it is not the same as my wife and I had almost 48 years in.

Again make sure your money is right and you have health insurance and if you do then go for it.

Comment

Don’t retire just because you have enough years in. If you happen to like your work keep working. Make sure you won’t need to work when you retire.
              I’ll be retiring in 10 years at 62, I’ve already told my wife I’ll be headed north when it gets hot here. I’m tired of 100+ days. She can go with me or call me in the evenings I’ll have overland suburban or a camper van and I’ll spend a lot of time in the national forest. That basic all cost nothing and it’s exactly what I would enjoy doing.

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
                "People sacrifice their health to gain their wealth then spend all their wealth trying to regain health. Bad strategy."

Great Advice.

retire early..............You WILL run out of health before you run out of money.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                  retire early..............You WILL run out of health before you run out of money.
                  Might not be the case if the DemoRATS have any say in our lives.

Comment

Bride and I are retiring in July - I'm 64 - she's 11 months younger. I had planned to sticking until 66.5 due to reaching "full" social security and by then both of us would be on medicare. Although neither one of us have health issues I just wanted to ensure we were OK from a catastrophic event standpoint.

Wife kept on me to talking to a Certified Financial Planner - talked to a guy at church and he turned me onto a fella in Arlington - one of the best moves this hard head has made - good team this fella has and has been 100% accommodating and reassuring.

Led me to do more research on the insurance aspect and we are fortunate to have access to Tricare (20 yr USAF/USAFR) that will get us to Medicare and then we'll have both to hopefully minimize any out of pocket.

My 2 cents are seek out and consult a CFP - could give you much keener insight and direction moving forward - and maybe even greater joy!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Get out of debt entirely if possible

This right here x10!! I retired 4yrs ago at 41. But still had 2 mortgages, one house is under contract now & if it sells we’ll be debt free.

Once you retire live everyday to the fullest!!! I heard a preacher the other day “you never get this moment back”. Do what you want to do cause there could be a time when you can’t do something you you’ve always wanted to do. Me & my wife had made plans for a trip to the Red Woods 6yrs ago & never went. Now she’s unable to go due to a drunk driver hitting her head on & being in a wheelchair.

When time comes to retire just remember have fun.[emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I look forward to pestering the local diner for more coffee each morning.

I appreciate all the advice given here. Thank you all that have replied.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                          This right here x10!! I retired 4yrs ago at 41. But still had 2 mortgages, one house is under contract now & if it sells we’ll be debt free.

Once you retire live everyday to the fullest!!! I heard a preacher the other day “you never get this moment back”. Do what you want to do cause there could be a time when you can’t do something you you’ve always wanted to do. Me & my wife had made plans for a trip to the Red Woods 6yrs ago & never went. Now she’s unable to go due to a drunk driver hitting her head on & being in a wheelchair.

When time comes to retire just remember have fun.[emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Curious at your age how you handled medical insurance? Did you receive a pension including health coverage or shopped around for a private policy?
                          Thanks

Comment

Not to change the topic. But for the guys that retired early why'd you do it? Did you hate your job, stress, made stupid money and could afford it?

As much as I love to hunt and fish, the last thing I want to do is hunt and fish everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                              May not be true with this Admin!

Comment

[QUOTE=Big Lee;16204811]I look forward to pestering the local diner for more coffee each morning.

Big Lee me and you could be friends. LOL. I’m looking forward to being a charter member of the old farts club soon.
                                Last edited by Gumbo Man; 05-04-2022, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X