First Success on Blanco County Lease! Axis Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice axis

Congrats on your first, here's to many more. Tracking blind can be frustrating with them. Had a couple we got lucky on and found with little to no blood. Watch herd patterns. Try and get to know their movements, especially if they are running. Lucky for us, we are a small enough place the trails they take are like roadmaps for them. I've seen them separate then get back together on the same trails. Got a couple corner's they have to stop and jump a cross fence. Found 2 or three within feet from there, both lung shots, only little pink blood right before they dropped dead. They are tough animals too, had a few we never recovered. 1 I know was shot multiple times with a rifle, unfortunately none were lethal, had her jump a fence with a broken leg 10 yards in front of me. Couldn't believe it . Like said above, they can be very frustrating to find.

Comment

Congrats. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
        I'm old and fat. You are working too hard to drag a deer. I use a ten foot length of mule tape. Tie it around the neck and then take a half hitch over the nose. That way the nose isn't catching on every bush you pass, and you aren't pulling against the direction that the hair grows. Keeping the hair fuzzed up and working against you generates more drag than you need to have to overcome.

Great idea! It was an unplanned, midweek layover trip after driving to FW to get a new company truck. I brought my bow just in case I got a chance to either shoot at CCR or stop by the lease, but otherwise I showed up without an ice chest or even a suitable knife (I had unloaded my normal truck carry gear from the old truck before I left.) I had a Skeletool and some cord in my pack, but they were inside the Krivoman blind when I found her and I didn’t want to make an extra trip back to get them. LOL!

I had to scramble to town to buy an ice chest and skinning knife from Lowes grocery store before they closed before I could even begin to skin, gut and quarter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Congrats. Heck of a hunt and thanks for sharing all Aspects. Hurry up with the videos on the arrows. Make a new video on some axis cooking. My processor made me some axis fajita meat that was by far the best ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Great idea! It was an unplanned, midweek layover trip after driving to FW to get a new company truck. I brought my bow just in case I got a chance to either shoot at CCR or stop by the lease, but otherwise I showed up without an ice chest or even a suitable knife (I had unloaded my normal truck carry gear from the old truck before I left.) I had a Skeletool and some cord in my pack, but they were inside the Krivoman blind when I found her and I didn’t want to make an extra trip back to get them. LOL!

I had to scramble to town to buy an ice chest and skinning knife from Lowes grocery store before they closed before I could even begin to skin, gut and quarter!

Unprepared. The Boy Scouts would have kicked you out.

Thanks for sharing the video and congrats on the tasty meat haul!

Comment

Well done amigo! You had your bow and camera, that’ll do! Thanks for sharing, another great vid!

Comment

Congrats Michael!!!

Comment

Congrats Michael on the megafawn! Like Jeff you are a braver man than me at that angle but you got it done!.

That "Traverse with fancy wheels" is a sweet shooter.. Love those longer ATA bows.

Comment

Shows the video to be private and it wont let me watch it

Comment

It should be working now. I set a schedule for it to go “public” this morning and apparently it changed it to private until the scheduled time.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great video. You could really see those doe "loading" up in slow motion. Dang ninja deer.

I will be in the minority, but I like the shot. To dumb it down some, you are doing the exact same as a hard quartered away shot... if you are ok with that shot. I can pick my spot a lot better when they are quartered to as opposed to away and most people should easily blow through the front shoulder of a whitetail or axis... if you even hit it.

I like a broadside shot best, but after shooting a bull elk quartered to and what it did to it I changed my opinion years ago. There has been plenty of quartered away shots on here that didn't end well.

To each their own.

Nice work as usual!

Comment

Awesome video and congrats!

Comment

don't you work for an oil field company? you guys should get some skinning knives and yeti ice chests and put your company name on it for customer gifts.
                            '
                            awesome video quality!
                            Last edited by kyle1974; 05-03-2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X