Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    Well stated. It really is shocking to me that some think their way is the only way. 100% of one asset class is extremely risky. But the bigger the risk the potential bigger reward.

I took a huge risk when I was in my 30s and it paid off big time. I’m past rolling the big dice. I keep some play money around to satisfy my need to try something extreme from time to time. I bet I’m close to break even on those itches that needed scratching. Other than that I own some of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    one or two stocks is the way I roll. I got a huge reward in 2009 when I bought Dow stock, all of my inheritance went into it. I then used margins and my account went up exponentially. With the stock I bought using margins, I was in control of $millions of Dow stock. I don't believe in diversification. I think that is what financial advisors are trying to sell to clients so they can make money. Find what you want and buy it. By the same token, to be honest, I did put in 25k in 1999 buying Sunshine Mining and it went bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
      Please read #122. I, too, don't plan to touch my investment account.
      You were the one quoting me, saying you didn't understand my way of thinking. I was just trying to explain it.

Comment

Well, RR1, I sold all my att today while I was still ahead. 100percent cash. I bet that'll chap rtps butt. LOL.

Yeah, with the Dow keeping on going down, it is such a bad idea to have nothing but cash. I mean I am losing 2/3 of a percent each month. Yeah, right, genius boy.

Please read #122. I, too, don't plan to touch my investment account.

I’m confused. You say you are 100% cash on one hand, have investment accounts on another and own real estate on 3rd hand. Perhaps you are not 100% cash.

When I say I’m 15% cash I’m talking in regards to all assets. You?

Comment

I’m confused. You say you are 100% cash on one hand, have investment accounts on another and own real estate on 3rd hand. Perhaps you are not 100% cash.

When I say I’m 15% cash I’m talking in regards to all assets. You?

okay, let me explain. I have 100% cash in my Etrade, just sold my ATT. I also have 5 properties, 4 are for investment, the 5th is my house to live in till I die. I just got an offer on one of my properties, but a little low in my opinion but we'll see how that goes. I have a bunch of silver and gold and my guns/ammo will garner a bunch.

Comment

Powell says he can't guarantee a 'soft landing' as the Fed looks to control inflation.

This comes out and the markets go up. Smdh.

Daytraders and HFTs control the markets far too much.

It's allowed because A) they make money and B) it forces the majority to buy mutual funds etc so they can make even more money.

one or two stocks is the way I roll. I got a huge reward in 2009 when I bought Dow stock, all of my inheritance went into it. I then used margins and my account went up exponentially. With the stock I bought using margins, I was in control of $millions of Dow stock. I don't believe in diversification. I think that is what financial advisors are trying to sell to clients so they can make money. Find what you want and buy it. By the same token, to be honest, I did put in 25k in 1999 buying Sunshine Mining and it went bankrupt.
            That's the worst possible way to invest. Not even an opinion, it's a fact (unless you're in the top 1% of daytraders). Why is it a fact? Because you nor I actually know and/or can find and calculate the possible pit falls. Companies are 100% great, secure, fully funded, etc until they are not and tank. Hundreds of examples.

Only a matter of time before you wake up screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Daytraders and HFTs control the markets far too much.

It's allowed because A) they make money and B) it forces the majority to buy mutual funds etc so they can make even more money.

That's the worst possible way to invest. Not even an opinion, it's a fact (unless you're in the top 1% of daytraders). Why is it a fact? Because you nor I actually know and/or can find and calculate the possible pit falls. Companies are 100% great, secure, fully funded, etc until they are not and tank. Hundreds of examples.

Only a matter of time before you wake up screwed.
              Okay, been doing good for decades though. We'll have to talk strategies next time Im in Bend.

Comment

I can see the market tanking 50% or more. If that happens everyone is screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                  I can see the market tanking 50% or more. If that happens everyone is screwed
                  not me. 100% cash here. I do agree with the 50%.

Comment

not me. 100% cash here. I do agree with the 50%.
                    I don’t understand having a bunch of cash in hand right now with inflation just eating it up? What’s your logic? Not bashing just asking.

Comment

I don’t understand having a bunch of cash in hand right now with inflation just eating it up? What’s your logic? Not bashing just asking.
                      I don't understand someone predicting the stock market going down 50% and not being in cash. What's your logic?

Comment

The hot stock right now is Vertex Energy (VTNR). Buy!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                          The hot stock right now is Vertex Energy (VTNR). Buy!
                          What makes this a BUY? It has had 4 straight years of decreasing revenue. net losses and negative operating cash flow. It looks like only 3 analysts follow it, and it has been issuing debt to fund its losses. It may be a great buy with some due diligence, but it looks speculative right now.
                          Last edited by Burnadell; 05-13-2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

okay, let's say you have $100,000 in stock X. I have $100,000 cash. The market goes down 50% in one year and inflation is 8%.
                            Next year, stock X is worth $50,000 and I have still have $100,000 cash. I buy stock X and I have twice what you have. How do you not understand that?

Comment

okay, let me explain. I have 100% cash in my Etrade, just sold my ATT. I also have 5 properties, 4 are for investment, the 5th is my house to live in till I die. I just got an offer on one of my properties, but a little low in my opinion but we'll see how that goes. I have a bunch of silver and gold and my guns/ammo will garner a bunch.

I see. So you have offset some of your cash position with precious metals and real estate.

Comment

I want to own more silver coins. rtp or Sabine - want to sell me some? I just can't bring myself to buy from someone I don't know since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X