Need your help. Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I did some editing to that first comment to be a little more specific.

I wrap at around 165-170 or at the stall whatever comes first ... both I have to feel that the bark is right though.
    Last one I cooked couple weeks ago was 10lbs and was on for about 13 hours and never would get above 190ish. Thought I was over cooking it and was dry as hell.
    Give or take how long should this one take?

Comment

I have a small word document write-up I have shared with many TBH folks through the years if you want it. Its very basic and is written to help beginners and others if they want it....but it works for me. I don't do anything special....very straight forward. Foil or butcher paper. Just PM your email address....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6797.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	24682004

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6800.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	24682005

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
        Some say 1-1.5 hours per pound at 225 degrees. So 14-20 hours give or take. Depends on the brisket but I've never pulled one under 200. Usually 203-208. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
          Last one I cooked couple weeks ago was 10lbs and was on for about 13 hours and never would get above 190ish. Thought I was over cooking it and was dry as hell.

My opinion ...its sounds like a secondary stall or your fire is just not hot enough. ( I'm a 250-275 guy). I've seen it a few times. I hate to put a time on anything, because its done when its done internally. I do know that its not done at 190. The collagen and muscles fibers just start breaking down when it hits 185-190. If they are not broken down completely, it will be tough and dry. The breakdown not only makes the brisket tender, it makes it juicy/moist. I personally would have turned up the heat a bit and helped push it through if it was wrapped.
          Last edited by Smart; 04-15-2022, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I have a small word document write-up I have shared with many TBH folks through the years if you want it. Its very basic and is written to help beginners and others if they want it....but it works for me. I don't do anything special....very straight forward. Foil or butcher paper. Just PM your email address....

[ATTACH]1086586[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1086587[/ATTACH]
            OMG. Food Pawrn. Now I’m cooking with wood.

Comment

never listen to a skinny chef. Thats my best advice.

Comment

Im a fat side down these days and rarely wrap......it'll be ready when it's ready

Comment

Need your help. Brisket

Originally posted by Tom View Post

Funny you say this. My new BBQ shirt I wore last weekend when we cooked for 200 folks at Todd-Ty729’s crawfish and BBQ riot. [emoji41][emoji12][emoji23]

Comment

So would it be ok to put on now?

Comment

Trimmed brisket looks fine...to me. That thin stuff will render down and be a non factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post

I got that apron. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                          Stick burner here, so I can’t help much with the pellet.
                          But I’ll smoke at 275° till the stall which is usually around meat IT of 165°. Then wrap and start probing around 190°. I’ve had briskets ready to pull at this temp, and I’ve had some first get ready to pull at close to 210°. Every brisket is different. I’m a big believer in long rests. (6-7 hrs). But before putting in the cooler to rest, I’ll set it on the shelf and let the IT temp drop to about 180° otherwise it’ll keep cooking in the cooler and get overdone. Before I rest it, I’ll wrap it back up tight then wrap a towel around it, and set it in a small styrofoam cooler with not a lot of air space. You’d be surprised how long it’ll stay warm.

Looks pretty good to me!

Comment

Rub liberally with Kosher salt and Restaurant cut black pepper. Smoker to 225 and put it fat side up. Cook till 165 and wrap in butcher paper till 202-203 at the point. Pull it and rest in cooler for minimum 1 hour. Will be perfect. All about temp not time. No spritz. This is based on pellet cooker.
                            Last edited by Electrican; 04-15-2022, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Well wish me luck
                              Attached Files

Comment

Good luck bud.
                                I’d move that probe a little to the right. You want it right where the point begins.
                                Well, that’s how I do it anyway, and maybe that’s where your point begins. Hard to tell by that pic.
                                But I’ve learned that everybody cooks different and if it works for you, then go for it. I’ve seen so many arguments on the Facebook BBQ groups that I’m on because some think their way is the only way to do it.
                                Main this is to learn YOUR pit and improve on every piece of meat you cook.

Comment

Working...
                                X