Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Need your help. Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple more thoughts if they haven’t been mentioned. If you cut into the brisket before it’s properly rested and cooled all the juices will escape and you will be left with dry brisket.

If it seems a little on the tough side slice super thin. Since you cut against the grain this will improve the tenderness of the slice. If its too soft slice real thick as this does the opposite and it will still hold together where a thinner piece would become pulled beef. Id rather cut thicker than thinner as carpal tunnel syndrome will hit your wrists quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
      Couple more thoughts if they haven’t been mentioned. If you cut into the brisket before it’s properly rested and cooled all the juices will escape and you will be left with dry brisket.

Exactly right [emoji106]

Comment

Watch every utube vid Meat Church has made.

Don't dwell on it, but get comfortable with the processes. Same with any others.

Never stop testing or learning.

Comment

Competed this one early last night.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
            Beautiful piece of art!

Comment

This 13lber required patience:

Took out of frig at 6am to trim and season
              Went in the smoker just after 8am and maintained at 250-275*
              Never opened the door until 1:30 and temped
              Same mid-high 150's temp for next 2 hours
              BBall practice coming up and brisket not to 165* yet
              No choice but to take out and paper wrap at 4:30 Put in oven at 275*
              Wife texted the internal temp was at 203 at 8pm
              She turned off oven and opened door to rest it.
              We ate great with what I cut at 9pm. These are the cuts after resting another hour.

Comment

Most of my friends that smoke brisket don't have patience. Smoker temp is too hot and the longer the effort, the hotter they cook.

Patience and the oven as backup saved me on this one. Family loved it even though it was late on delivery.

I'm a novice, but what I mostly see around here (where I am) is lack of patience and too much heat.
                Last edited by tigerscowboy; 04-28-2022, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Dang, your slices look like steaks!! (my kind of eatin'!! )

Comment

**** that looks great

Going to try again maybe next weekend.

Comment

Need your help. Brisket

Most of my friends that smoke brisket don't have patience. Smoker temp is too hot and the longer the effort, the hotter they cook.

Patience and the oven as backup saved me on this one. Family loved it even though it was late on delivery.

I'm a novice, but what I mostly see around here (where I am) is lack of patience and too much heat.

Yep, I’ve learned early on that when guests are ready to eat, they’re READY TO EAT. Lol
                      That’s why I allow an hour and a half per pound for the way my pit cooks. That’s just cooking time. Then figure in a long rest, and I go from there.
                      Looks great! Good job [emoji106]

Comment

This may sound weird but for parties another reason I like to cook in advance is after I tended my fire box for 12 to who knows how many hours Im over the smoke. I do not enjoy the smoke flavor anywhere near as much as when Im smoke free when Im served bbq. Anyone else like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                          This may sound weird but for parties another reason I like to cook in advance is after I tended my fire box for 12 to who knows how many hours Im over the smoke. I do not enjoy the smoke flavor anywhere near as much as when Im smoke free when Im served bbq. Anyone else like that?

Same here. I'm usually sick of smoke after 12 hrs tending a smoker. I do a lot of country style pork ribs, sausage, or chicken these days because it only takes about 4 hrs or less and I'm not so saturated in it by then I can't enjoy the reward.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Feeling brave on these efforts now.

*The Point is our favorite. Next one I'll separate prior and make burnt ends with the flat during the same smoke.

*Thinking of moving the trimmed and seasoned brisket from the frig to the oven at midnight and set the oven timer to begin w/200* at 4am.

*Once I get the smoker lit and up to temp, about 7am, move brisket to smoker at 275*

See how this turns out and if I still get the bark I'm always after.

Anyone here tried similar?

Comment

*The Point is our favorite. Next one I'll separate prior and make burnt ends with the flat during the same smoke.

*Thinking of moving the trimmed and seasoned brisket from the frig to the oven at midnight and set the oven timer to begin w/200* at 4am.

*Once I get the smoker lit and up to temp, about 7am, move brisket to smoker at 275*

True burnt ends are cut from the point. Not sure how the flat would hold up to that but then again Ive never tried.

Comment

I've read that smoke no longer penetrates the meat at around 160 degrees (meat temp) so the oven first method would greatly reduce your smoke ring if that's true. I don't know, but that's what I've read.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X