No announcement yet.

Need your help. Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you mean by the stall J...I wrapped @ 160 & put back fat side down. When I put the probe back in the new location read 168 & had resistance / still tough.

I just wasn't sure if the fat was supposed to be back down when wrapped & same with how you rest...I'm another who is brisket challenged with the VERY few I've tried & decided to tackle / deal with success or failure seeing this thread. The bark 'looked' good, but not sure what I'm actually supposed to note & balance vs just watching for 160.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      What do you mean by the stall J...I wrapped @ 160 & put back fat side down. When I put the probe back in the new location read 168 & had resistance / still tough.

I just wasn't sure if the fat was supposed to be back down when wrapped & same with how you rest...I'm another who is brisket challenged with the VERY few I've tried & decided to tackle / deal with success or failure seeing this thread. The bark 'looked' good, but not sure what I'm actually supposed to note & balance vs just watching for 160.
      When the meat starts sweating and the IT stops rising. This May last an hour or more.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
        To me, it doesn't look done. Most people think dry/tough means cooked too long, its the exact opposite. The other thing people always make the mistake of is cooking by time, instead of tenderness when it comes to brisket. The probe should push in and pull out with no effort.
        I can cook a brisket that falls apart for tacos or one that slices. I've never used a thermometer in 30+ years of cooking. My same method produces hog or deer hind quarters that you can pull the bone out of.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

So what happens if you wrap before a stall?? Think I'm ok but just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
            Cooked one for Easter lunch. I guess I got lucky, turned out great

Injected, wrapped with pink butcher paper after stall. Pull off at 203F.....long rest in Yeti. Ended up super tender and moist.
            That looks awesome LG.

Comment

Nothing, wrapping just prevents it from picking up too much smoke flavor on the longer cooks, as well as helps keep it moist. But it doesn't steam it like foil will.

If you have good bark when you wrap, you are good to go. Just keep cooking from there.

Comment

Need your help. Brisket

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                Nothing, wrapping just prevents it from picking up too much smoke flavor on the longer cooks, as well as helps keep it moist. But it doesn't steam it like foil will.

If you have good bark when you wrap, you are good to go. Just keep cooking from there.

The meat will only absorb smoke for the first 3 or so hours. After that you’re just basically cooking. That first 3 or so hours, I concentrate on getting in good smoke, the rest of the time I just let it roll.
                Hell I know folks that will do a brisket for around 4 hours and finish it in the oven. I won’t do that. I like babysitting the pit and being proud of the result of my babysitting and fire management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Put mine on at 10 yesterday morning, and wrapped it at around 7 pm. Put some wagyu tallow on the paper and brisket. Checked it at 4:30 this morning, was right on temp. Set the treager to the warm setting and put it in the cooler at 8. We ate at 12 and it was money.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                    The meat will only absorb smoke for the first 3 or so hours. After that you’re just basically cooking. That first 3 or so hours, I concentrate on getting in good smoke, the rest of the time I just let it roll.
                    Hell I know folks that will do a brisket for around 4 hours and finish it in the oven. I won’t do that. I like babysitting the pit and being proud of the result of my babysitting and fire management

What you meant to say is you like drinking while it's finishing, but there ain't no shame in that game!

The real question is, what does BoB say?

Comment

Nothing worth eating should take this long to cook [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sling shot View Post

Somebody get a rope. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Somebody get a steak [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                            Somebody get a rope. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
                            A ropes too good for him! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sling shot View Post

Sure it is.
                              13 hour cook, 6 hour rest

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                                Sure it is.
                                13 hour cook, 6 hour rest

Money!!!
                                And a week wouldn't be too long to work for those results! So 12-18 hrs is nothing

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X