Small off grid power for RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small off grid power for RV

I’m looking for some help. I’ve tried the search function and didn’t see exactly what I’m looking for. If there is something please post a link.

I’m looking for a small off grid system for an RV that is stationary. Just need to run 12volt lights, 12volt / propane heat, a few 120 volt led lights, and a couple LED TVs. If we need to run AC or microwave we can kick on the generator. I’m not looking to spend thousands of dollars. I’m thinking a couple large deep cycle 12 volt batteries wired in parallel, a inverter, a couple decent solar panels, and some kinda switch so when we kick the generator on it doesn’t fry the inverter or try to send power from both the inverter and the generator to the RV. Also not wanting this built into the RV, it needs to be set up in a way that if a buddy wants to come up with his RV he could easily plug his Rv into the system when I’m not there. It doesn’t need to run 2 campers at 1 time just easily switch from one to the other. Anyone have any ideas? If you have experience with this please reach out and maybe we could talk on the phone.

Thanks for any help!

I have a simple little system at fish camp in the generator house, couple Renogy panels and two Duracell 6v batteries and a cheap inverter. I'll be upgrading but this will do everything you described. I run both a camper and a cabin on it all spring, only kicking on the gennie to run the microwave so far as no a/c has been required yet. I just switch the plug(s) from inverter to generator whenever I want to move power source since I have to go out and start the generator anyway it doesn't really have to be automated. What do you need to know?

edit: You'll need an RV plug to 110 plug adapter if you want to plug your RV cable in.

Links of what I have for example, not claiming these to be the ones to go with it's just what I have.
    Panels and controller

Inverter

Batteries
    Shop Batteries Plus for the Duracell Ultra BCI Group GC2 6V golf and floor scrubber battery that comes with 215AH. Shop online or pick up in-store.
    Last edited by justletmein; 04-15-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

More thoughts, I have a good 12v battery charger hooked up and always plugged into the gennie so when I do kick it on it charges the batteries. Everything is housed in the generator box remotely away from the cabin and trailer so cords are buried, very convenient so you may consider building a small box similar to that.

I spent 9 days down there working last month and was able to keep my laptop, headlamp, phone all charged as well as running a small TV and lights obviously. I ran the generator 4 maybe 5 hours total the whole 9 days, each time started with needing to use the microwave and since I had it running I'd charge my Dewalt and Ryobi batteries and run the jigsaw cuts for misc stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        More thoughts, I have a good 12v battery charger hooked up and always plugged into the gennie so when I do kick it on it charges the batteries. Everything is housed in the generator box remotely away from the cabin and trailer so cords are buried, very convenient so you may consider building a small box similar to that.

I spent 9 days down there working last month and was able to keep my laptop, headlamp, phone all charged as well as running a small TV and lights obviously. I ran the generator 4 maybe 5 hours total the whole 9 days, each time started with needing to use the microwave and since I had it running I'd charge my Dewalt and Ryobi batteries and run the jigsaw cuts for misc stuff.
        What is the advantage of 2 6 volt batteries vs 12 volt batteries? I assume the 6 volts are wired in series and that is how you are able to use 1 12 volt charger to keep them charged when the generator is running?

The generator I currently have has remote start and stop so I would prefer to be able to switch from solar to generator on the fly. I’m trying to make this as close to having commercial power without spending a ton of money. I love your setup just need to switch from generator remotely.

Comment

So there's battery-charging inverters that you can wire inline with the gennie, they'll switch off power automatically when the gennie kicks on and as a bonus they'll charge your batteries when you do. That's the way you wanna go, they're gonna be more expensive but we're talking a couple hundred so really not that bad unless you want to use the microwave then the $300 range is what you're after. You don't need a massive battery array for a microwave as it's short term, a/c of course you'd need a bunch of batteries and more panels to charge them. For the 6v, they're just really good deep cycle performance and high AH for the price and they seem to last tons of recharge cycles. Those two have been out there at camp since 2017 and still going strong even after neglecting the water levels severely a couple times. When you think of the heavy use golf carts dish out it makes sense. When those two finally die off I'll replace them with 4 of the same and upgrade my inverter as well so I don't have to kick on the gennie for the microwave, then I'd only need it for a/c.
          Last edited by justletmein; 04-15-2022, 01:31 PM.

Comment

If you are putting the system together yourself then check the auction sites and Craigslist for used solar panels. I bought some 260 watt panels that were used for $70 each. 3 of them together can put out 45 amps of current to recharge the batteries in full sunlight.

I agree with what was already stated on buying a power inverter that is also a charger that will automatically switch over once it sees power coming in.

One last suggestion is to get more batteries than you think you will need. This will help to provide plenty of power in the event there ends up being multiple cloudy days in a row.

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
              X