Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What power steering fluid for a 2011 Chevy 3500 Duramax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What power steering fluid for a 2011 Chevy 3500 Duramax?

They put some off brand PS fluid in it and now they say it hardly wants to turn or stop. I haven’t had time to look at it yet. Sounds to me like maybe there’s air in the system now.

Does GM specify a special thinner PS fluid? I’ve used ATF fluid in some other pickups with zero issues ever.
    Thoughts?

It’s now mainly used as a ranch truck.

Bump

Comment

Sounds like the shaft in the pump snapped. I've seen it before, the shaft will snap about an inch and a half in the pump but the pulley and belt will stay in place and look like its normal.

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
        Sounds like the shaft in the pump snapped. I've seen it before, the shaft will snap about an inch and a half in the pump but the pulley and belt will stay in place and look like its normal.
        Thanks. Finally got to take a look. Appears they overfilled PS reservoir for one thing. I started it up and now it’s working ok. Will keep an eye on it.

Comment

Anytime any of our stuff gets low on PSF, I refill it with Lucas Power Steering stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Anytime any of our stuff gets low on PSF, I refill it with Lucas Power Steering stuff.
            Thanks I’ll pick some up.

Comment

Keep using ATF

Comment

When that system gets low it will produce a lot of foam in the fluid. Once you get it filled, let it set for a little bit with the cap off (drink a beer or two). Go back and start it up and rack the steering full left the full right, take a look at the fluid, if it still has a little foam in it, turn the truck off and have a couple more beers.

Comment

Working...
                X