Corpus Area Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corpus Area Fishing

We will be headed down to Corpus this weekend for a few days and towing the boat. I am still learning the bay system down their so any pointers would be appreciated not looking for coordinates but want to make sure the wife and kids have a good time and bend a rod. With the wife and kids wading isn’t an option so will be using trolling motor, drifting or anchoring.

We stay on a canal and usually get bait from marker 37 or Billings

Thanks in advance

Drift the King Ranch shoreline

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
      We will be headed down to Corpus this weekend for a few days and towing the boat. I am still learning the bay system down their so any pointers would be appreciated not looking for coordinates but want to make sure the wife and kids have a good time and bend a rod. With the wife and kids wading isn’t an option so will be using trolling motor, drifting or anchoring.

We stay on a canal and usually get bait from marker 37 or Billings

Thanks in advance
      An easy and fun way to fish is to drift the King Ranch Shoreline. Motor out a 1/4 mile or more from the shoreline, and set out a drift anchor. Let the wind push you towards the shoreline. It is grass flats with sand pockets. Cast into the pockets. When you get close to the shore, fire back up and motor back out and drift in again. East flats are also good outside of Port A.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
        An easy and fun way to fish is to drift the King Ranch Shoreline. Motor out a 1/4 mile or more from the shoreline, and set out a drift anchor. Let the wind push you towards the shoreline. It is grass flats with sand pockets. Cast into the pockets. When you get close to the shore, fire back up and motor back out and drift in again. West flats are also good outside of Port A.
        Edited that for ya.

Comment

East flats is good. But all those places from Port A are a good ways from marker 37.

Comment

I am familiar with the KR shoreline.

How are the tides I have heard they are pretty low. I try not to get too skinny in my boat.
            Probably won’t be running to Port A in the boat if I was going to fish that system I would trailer over.

Any tips or tricks for finding and catching black drum this time of year? As I said really want the kids to just catch fish

Comment

I grew up there and we have a few condos we rent close to mk 37

pm me your number Ill get you a spot for some fish

Comment

You may check the sides of the icw for drum or in the flats in front of the king ranch drop off. Last time I was down the side of the icw was loaded with drum.

Comment

First trip down there with my boat, I counted on my buddy knowing where to go as he fished out of his kayak down there. What I discovered is he did not travel more than eye site of the boat ramp.

I pulled out my copy of Texas Lakes and Bays, got some info from TFF, and put together my own map.

Disclaimer, I've yet to go try these spots out, but for descriptions about eat get a copy of the Texas Lakes and Bays atlas.

Texas Lakes and Bays - https://fishgame.com/product/2021-te...s-new-edition/

Comment

Up for the evening crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                      How are the tides I have heard they are pretty low.
                      It's springtime. The water level changes everytime the wind changes direction. You'll have to look once you get there. We have had super high tides here and super low tides here all in the last week.

Comment

Water level has been 6"-18" low over that last couple of weeks. The winds have been relentless with gust to 67mph 2 days ago. The water is banged up pretty bad. The good news is there aren't many boats out. Drum in the ICW was good advice.

Comment

Like Glenn said water levels have been inconsistent. Now that spring has sprung live shrimp under a popping cork or plastics along the sand/grass on the KRS. I’d target redfish at first light up on shallow(less than 1ft.) sand right on the shoreline with sardines/menhaden. Compuerta pass down near Baffin should still have some drum, try with live or dead shrimp Carolina rigged. If your boat has a trolling motor, check between the ICW and spoils north of bird island for drum cruising the surface. I know the land cut is a long boat ride but it’s hard to beat this time of year.

Comment

I’d consider the land cut if I was going with a group of guys but have to balance bay and beach time with the family.

Comment

If you are not that familiar with the area, go to Texas Fishing Tips on You Tube. Capt Grant Coppin gives weekly up dates on that particular area with illustrated maps. Will give you a general idea of areas and water conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X