Golf Cart Charger Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf Cart Charger Question

I have two year old batteries in my golf cart, they have been doing fine until December, they were running down pretty quick. Topped off the water level, there was one or two that were just a bit low, the lead plates were exposed about 1/8" or so.

Cart doesn't want to take a charge and the battery charger gets really hot.

Assuming I have a bad cell in one or more batteries, just want to see if anyone can confirm what I am thinking.

I have had a bad batteries before, but they always took a charge and the charger never got hot like it is doing now.

Any thoughts?

Take a multi-meter and check each battery voltage. Most likely have at least 1 bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      Take a multi-meter and check each battery voltage. Most likely have at least 1 bad one.
      Do I need to disconnect them? I assume so, but just want to double check.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        Do I need to disconnect them? I assume so, but just want to double check.

No need to disconnect them.

Comment

Those chargers get surprisingly hot !

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
            All showing 8 volts. Have reconnected the charger, we'll see what it looks like at the end of the day.

Thanks for the input so far, I appreciate it.

Comment

Sometimes when they get below a certain voltage, you have to put them individually on a regular automotive battery charger before you can use your cart charger

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                Sometimes when they get below a certain voltage, you have to put them individually on a regular automotive battery charger before you can use your cart charger

This, charge 1-2 at a time to get them partially charged then charge the entire pack together. That happened to me a couple times after running them below 40% or so. They need to have a minimum charge in order for the cart charger to get them charged.

Comment

Working...
                X