Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palacios - worth buying a weekend property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palacios - worth buying a weekend property?

I'm not familiar with the area. Would it be any good for a weekend property? Thanks.

A few years back it was mainly rice farms, mosquitos, and great fishing. Not sure if that has changed but more of a fishing destination than vacation destination from what I remember.

Comment

people use to ask that same question about port aransas and rockport. I drove that area a few months ago and did alittle exploring, I'm all for finding something up there because I know its a fraction of what its going to cost in 10 years.

Comment

We thought about buying a lot in Fisherman’s Village. Little fishing community there that has a pier and civic center. There is everything from RVs to small houses. There were some lots in the $8k-$20k range last summer. Haven’t looked since prices got outrageous on everything. May be something to look at. All utilities are available.

Last edited by captainsling; 04-10-2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I lived there when my mom was married to her second husband.
          IMO, it's the armpit of the Gulf coast!

Comment

Palacios isn’t bad, but it’s doesn’t complete with matagorda or POC, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, we looked at Palacios. Nah......

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                Palacios isn’t bad, but it’s doesn’t complete with matagorda or POC, imo.

In what way?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                  In what way?

I feel they are both nicer and have more variety when it’s comes to fishing.

Palacios and Sargent remind me of each other.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I’ve spent many days in the Palacios area. The difference between it and the other places mentioned is it’s on the windy side of Matagorda bay. There are many many days you cannot fish from there by boat unless you trailer to Matagorda or POC, today is a prime example. If you just want to be on the coast and don’t care about fishing it’s not horrible.

Comment

It's got a really nice waterfront. It's all a public park and there are several public fishing piers, boat ramps, etc. I know lots of great people who live there. They have several good places to eat. You can get much of what you need there as far as hardware, auto parts, etc. Not all coastal towns have that sort of thing. It's not a bad little town, although not for everyone.

The fishing is like anywhere else, if you put in your time and learn it then it can be really good. But it takes time to learn. It's a straight shot across the bay to great wadefishing on the south shoreline of West Matagorda Bay. And not terribly far to the POC jetties. But there is also a ton of good fishing closer to town. It's probably the best place to fish for tripletail in Texas. Overall the upper bay gets less pressure and less boat traffic than the surrounding areas like Matagorda and POC.

I like Palacios. It's a quiet town with lots of good people living there. I have lots of friends in Palacios. If you are looking for a beach town or night life then Palacios isn't that. If you are looking for a quiet town with good fishing opportunities and the possibility of maybe finding a more affordable place then it may be just what you are looking for.

Comment

We have property right down the road in Olivia. I prefer it over Port O'connor and Rockport. May not be much to do in terms of vacationing, but I prefer the quieter atmosphere and less boat traffic.

Someone mentioned Sargent. I do hope to make a few trips there this summer. I like the trout fishing there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            I feel they are both nicer and have more variety when it’s comes to fishing.

Palacios and Sargent remind me of each other.

Sargent is all weekenders and retired folks. Palacios is a commercial fishing port. There is a big difference IMO. Palacios is mainly made up of working class families. Farmers, commercial fishermen, marine construction, boat building, repairs and fitting, small business owners, etc. They have a full school district there. Sargent is almost all weekenders and retired folks. There is no industry or business there except for the few that are geared towards supporting the weekenders. They have a totally different feel to me because of that. I'm not saying one is better or worse.

Comment

I agree with Glen, I grew up not far from there and it's full of good people. Less weekenders and more families.

Good fishing near and far with year round opportunity.

For you Bill it has some excellent birding but a boat would be helpful to make the best of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X