Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boys, a warning, it CAN happen to you......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    If you put out that fire, surely you can fix my slice![emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hehehe.....in a lot of cases, well, the fire is easier.....hehehe. (But we can give er' hell...😉 )
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 04-10-2022, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sr1209 View Post
      I did some maintenance on my Etec last summer and in the process I found the fuel pump was leaking around the outlet. I had to pull the coil packs to replace it and found a wire to one coil pack had rubbed through the insulation. Was shocked I hadn't had a similar outcome to yours. Frankly, it's not a bad idea for everyone to pull the cowling on their outboard a couple of times a year. Two weeks ago I went to replace the water pressure sensor and found the water pressure relief valve was leaking at one of the hoses, salt in places it didn't need to be.
      I TOTALLY agree....👍 The THEORY on mine via my Marc dealer is the voltage regulator shorted the whole works.....dunno if we'll ever know for certain what caused it. I was just very, very lucky to discover the fire while it was still a smoldering electrical fire with limited oxygen to feed it. The cowling disintegrated in the rear when I pulled it to check the situation out after it had cooled off. It was a matter of minutes before it would have imploded and the electrical burn would have been fed by 30mph winds......then I'd have really had my hands full. I'm just very lucky to have discovered it when I did.....very lucky!

Btw, thank you to all of you! Just learn from my situation and make sure you've got TWO fire extinguishers on board as it can happen. One wouldn't have completely extinguished the fire I experienced.
      Last edited by Slicefixer; 04-10-2022, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Your supposed to set the water on fire !
        Not the boat.
        Bet that thing will still outrun an evinrude.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
          Your supposed to set the water on fire !
          Not the boat.
          Bet that thing will still outrun an evinrude.
          Hehehe Hehehe hehehe....not after the customization job.....

Sad thing is, considering it's age, it was in pristine condition.....ran like a champ too.

Comment

Did it happen while you were going down the lake?

We’re you trying to start the engine or did it just start smoldering while unattended?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Did it happen while you were going down the lake?

We’re you trying to start the engine or did it just start smoldering while unattended?
              I had it docked at my buddy's dock Brother Burnadell. Fished the afternoon before and she ran like a Tiger tank. Had just positioned my trailer to load it to come home (he has a nice concrete ramp in his backyard) and walked over to crank er up and load up. I walked up o the dock and saw the cowling was covered in "white spots." My first thought was "Holy sh#t....."somebody threw acid on my engine." In a nanosecond I realized, "that's ridiculous....Holy awww sh#t.....electrical fire!"

Jumped in and grabbed my fire extinguisher and thought about the situation......only access was through the oil fill access.....thought, "man....once I open this thing up it'll get a burst of fresh oxygen and it might flame up and make that hole like a blowtorch." So I did the quick twist and pull and jumped back.... lil flame jumped but no biggie really......then I showered down with the extinguisher until it quit......then ran up to my buddies house and they had 2 extinguishers.....used the contents of another extinguisher until it was exhausted.....fire out. You see the results.....

This EASILY could have occurred on the water and COULD have been a really bad situation.....water temps and hypothermia, etc. It also could have burned up my boat, that i just completed a 350+ hour total renovation upon, burned down the dock, and the boathouse, etc. That's why I say I'm very, very fortunate.

My message is this, have TWO CURRENT extinguishers on board at all times......cause it CAN happen to you! This engine was in unbelievable condition, so this is the LAST thing I thought could happen.

My Merc guy, who has 45 years experience, says he'd virtually guarantee it was the voltage regulator that shorted out the electrical system. Dunno if that can be confirmed.....

Btw, I'm driving home, 2 hour drive, and just as I'm about home I see a truck on the side of the road, nice Dodge, and the owner is standing on the side of the road 20 yards away. Another truck parked 50 yards away and that owner walking up to help. The Dodge was on fire with the cab virtually consumed.....

So I'm putting a couple of fire extinguishers in my truck.....
              Last edited by Slicefixer; 04-10-2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, always a good reminder. Make sure you have the right type of extinguisher(s) as well!

Comment

Originally posted by tipitina View Post
                  Thanks for sharing, always a good reminder. Make sure you have the right type of extinguisher(s) as well!
                  What would you recommend? I wss actually just on the net researching, etc. The ones I HAD basically coated the engine and smothered the fire out.

Comment

That’s crazy, Geoff! Yes, that could have gone several ways…bad!

Glad you were able to contain it to the engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      That’s crazy, Geoff! Yes, that could have gone several ways…bad!

Glad you were able to contain it to the engine!
                      You're telling me Burnadell.....hehehe

I have insurance so that softens the blow, but, it could have been really a bad deal......

The main thing is warning others to make SURE they're ready.....hadn't happened in 5 decades of fishing, then it did....thankfully, I was prepared and got lucky.

Hope all is well in your neck of the forest!

Gj

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good grief, glad no one was hurt.

Comment

Working...
                        X