Seen a lot of cell phone boosters on trucks lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen a lot of cell phone boosters on trucks lately

If there any particular reason for this? Are they better than they once were or has 5g screwed up coverage?

I don’t know if boosters are better but signal is worse than it’s ever been. I used to never run out of signal in North East Texas but frequently have dropped calls now with Verizon.

Comment

My understanding of 5G is that it’s multi-band and utilize significantly different frequencies for each band. There are three separate bands with the low band being similar in frequency to 4G… there is a mid band with higher frequency which enables faster speeds but less range… the higher band is even faster but has noticeably reduced range and will not penetrate structures/buildings as well as lower frequency stuff…

Don’t quote me on this as I am no expert or even stayed at the holiday in express. I do know that lower frequency radio waves tend to penetrate significantly better than high frequency radio waves…

Knowing the wide range on knowledgeable folks on TBH someone will be along soon and give a better explanation than I can.

Comment

I was thinking it must be a 5g thing. Really not sure I remember seeing more than a couple boosters I’ve the years but lately seen a bunch

Comment

What does one look like

I've seen them from homes but not cars

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
            What does one look like

I've seen them from homes but not cars
            Typically looks like a pear burner sticking up from the bed.

Comment

Is there a pipeline project going on in the area? That's when we see them here.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                I've seen folks in their lifted 4runners that have never seen dirt with those things strapped on back. I guess I assumed those were 2 way antennas for "off roading" in the parking lot of bombshells, hooters, and twin peaks.

Comment

Just spent 1K to boost the house. Went from 1 bar to barely 3. I can see downtown Houston from my roof.
                  The providers are slowly dumping towers and want us all on wifi...

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    I've seen folks in their lifted 4runners that have never seen dirt with those things strapped on back. I guess I assumed those were 2 way antennas for "off roading" in the parking lot of bombshells, hooters, and twin peaks.
                    Do you stop all these people and ask them if their vehicle has ever "seen dirt"?

How much dirt does a rig have to see to meet your justification for aftermarket accessories?

Comment

I would have figured with all the hoopla about 5g the signal would be much better.

Comment

I feel like my signal has declined with 5G versus what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                          I thought those were new fangled CB antennas. I started seeing those a couple years before 5G was a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            If there any particular reason for this? Are they better than they once were or has 5g screwed up coverage?
                            I was just wondering the same thing this morning as I drove to work. I've not had any issues with my phone but I sure am seeing a lot of boosters on cars and trucks.

Comment

Not to send this off in another direction, but a few weeks ago our cell phone service at the house went to crap. I got a Microcell from AT&T to help boost my signal since we get crappy reception at the house. Called AT&T and got a new booster in- turns out our Microcell was 3G so that explained it quitting. Anyway, spent well over an hour last Sunday with their technical support which in itself is a challenge trying to get it to work. I understand farming out things like technical support, and I guess technically what these folks are speaking is English, but it isn't English that I can understand. Anyway, they finally decided that our WIFI box/router that we use to get internet and which this new booster connects to is too outdated to allow the booster to work. So now were are waiting on a new WIFI box/router. Always something.

Comment

Working...
                              X