Water Hammer in House Piping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Hammer in House Piping?

I changed out my water filters for our house water supply and have been getting a loud noise when we open a faucet ever since.

The noise comes from the same area of the house not natter what faucet is opened. This mostly happens when opening a faucet on the end of the hiuse the noise is, but not always.

Anyone experience this before?

Any ideas on how to stop it?

Was going to shut iff the water and drain the piping but figured I would chekc in with the brain trust here first.

I think you have
    Very air in the lines somewhere. Shouldn't get waterhammer when opening a faucet. Maybe when shutting one off too fast.

Comment

Since we are all experts this is expert advice. Leave faucets open in the area trying to flush air out.

Comment

Just dealt with this in my house. First try draining house down opening all valves starting at the highest to the lowest including hose bibs and then refill in opposite order. If that doesn't work install water hammer arrestors in attic piping.

Comment

Make sure all outdoor faucets are shut tight too. I had a very similar situation and it was driving me crazy. I found a nearby exterior faucet slightly open. Once I closed that it went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
            Just dealt with this in my house. First try draining house down opening all valves starting at the highest to the lowest including hose bibs and then refill in opposite order. If that doesn't work install water hammer arrestors in attic piping.
            This will be my approach, crazy it just started after being in this house for almoat 9 years.

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
              Make sure all outdoor faucets are shut tight too. I had a very similar situation and it was driving me crazy. I found a nearby exterior faucet slightly open. Once I closed that it went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Hmm, I have one open all the time, it’s connected to motion activated sprinklers to run the deer off my blackberries.

Comment

If no place in attic to install a hammer device, go to each place penetrating the wall behind toilet, sink, WH, etc... and install a tee with a capped off piece of pipe going up. 8-10" piece will work as a shock absorber (it will stay full of air) and clear up water hammer.

Comment

Ghosts…….

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                    Since we are all experts this is expert advice. Leave faucets open in the area trying to flush air out.
                    ^This right here, OP. Open every valve/bib/faucet in and out of the house and let it run and hiccup until everything is back to smooth.

But this thread also reminds me of some fond memories as a Houston firefighter! We used to send nervous rookies out to the pumper to find and bring back a "water hammer." And we'd tell them they better find it fast or the Captain would make their lives a miserable hell. The smart ones wouldn't fall for it but we had a great time with the ones who would!

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                      ^This right here, OP. Open every valve/bib/faucet in and out of the house and let it run and hiccup until everything is back to smooth.

But this thread also reminds me of some fond memories as a Houston firefighter! We used to send nervous rookies out to the pumper to find and bring back a "water hammer." And we'd tell them they better find it fast or the Captain would make their lives a miserable hell. The smart ones wouldn't fall for it but we had a great time with the ones who would!
                      Still do that, push start k12, hose stretcher. It hasn’t stopped don’t worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                        Still do that, push start k12, hose stretcher. It hasn’t stopped don’t worry.
                        Hahaha, good times. We had a cocky-arse rookie at 4's who came in on his first day bragging how smart he was and was ready to run the pump panel on day 1. He was/is actually pretty smart and actually was pretty good at hydraulics. He was just so over the top about it. So we would stage a guy up top, by the deck gun, with a bucket of water and call this rookie out for pump panel training. He would run straight for the pumper to show what he knew and immediately get ******d with water. He fell for it every single time. His second tour we made a first-in house fire and he passed the nozzle to his partner. I think anxiety and adrenaline just got the best of him that day because he actually turned out to be a pretty good fireman, but we rode his arse for that. Anyway, great memories. Sorry to hijack, OP!

Comment

Working...
                        X