Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxidermy issue I’m dealing with.. thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxidermy issue I’m dealing with.. thoughts?

First off, I own multiple mounts, deer and waterfowl. As well as multiple tanned hides. So I am somewhat familiar with the different scents associated with taxidermy from glues/paints/tanning chemicals etc.. with that being said I shot my first axis buck last may and had it mounted at a very reputable shop in the houston area. The mount was finished up about 2 months ago, first thing I noticed was there seemed to be a lot more hair loss on the mount than I recalled: in fact I never noticed any hair loss. I made sure not to drag the buck when it was harvested as well. Didn’t say much about that, but on the way home I started noticing a very strange smell: not really a rotten smell but a smell I’m not familiar with. It’s very subtle at first but we time it really sets in and is so bad it literally made my skin and eyes start itching, and made my allergies act up: got it home, hung it up. Wife got home and immediately said something about the smell: at that point I called the taxidermist, they said to bring it back. So the next day I brought it back, literally had to drive with the windows down and my eyes were still itching. Now here’s the weird part: I bring it inside the business. The owner and his wife are asking what kind of smell it is and I can’t hardly explain it. They try to smell the animal and they can’t smell anything, and I’ll be honest, in their shop I couldn’t hardly smell it myself: which I thought was weird: they said they would hang it in their house for several days to see if they could smell it. So fast forward a week. They tell me to come by and that they can’t smell anything. I come by and go in their house, I couldn’t smell it: I mentioned the hair loss though and asks if they could do something, they said they could transplant some hair to the area and do some painting and I could come get it in another week or so: so today I come pick it up again: get home, hang it up. After about 10 minutes the smell starts setting in, I leave, wife’s texts me about an hour later that she just got home and she knew the mount was back because she could smell it. “I hadn’t even told her I picked it up”. Called the shop back. They said they’re willing to do whatever it takes to make it right. I hate complaining but I literally have this mount in my garage because the smell is so strong: when I walk into the garage it hits me like a wave. Any thoughts on what this smell could be from? 2 things I think could be a possibility are the paint they use, or something went wrong at the tannery and the smell is coming from the hide. It’s just weird to me that I couldn’t smell it in their house but it is so noticeable at my house and In my garage. Im at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well Sir, had a Sika done that my daughter shot, same thing had a strong chemical smell, left it out side for about a week, finally went away.

God Bless
      Bish

Comment

A local flood/mold remediation company May can help with their ozone machine. Is it just the picture or is that nose black ?

Comment

First off, good looking Mount. I don't know if it's possible but it might be a smell that is unnoticeable by itself, like at the taxidermist shop and in his house, maybe the smell is mixing with another aroma that is making it so noticeable, we each have an individual scent, your "aroma" might just not blend with whatever smell is coming from the Mount. I'd have the taxi come by while the mount was in my house and see if he can smell it, not just for 1 minute, get him to talking while he's in there and after 10 or 15 see if he notices anything, if not obviously his nose is broke or he's lying, if so maybe he can remedy it, also smell tend to fade so you could just try giving it a few weeks...

Other than rambling thoughts I have no idea I'm no taxidermist

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Comment

If it smells that bad in the truck, take it back and have the taxi sit in your truck.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
              A local flood/mold remediation company May can help with their ozone machine. Is it just the picture or is that nose black ?
              It’s just the picture, it’s brown

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                If it smells that bad in the truck, take it back and have the taxi sit in your truck.
                I like this idea, but got a feeling you're going to have to do as suggested. Leave it outside a week and test inside your house.

Maybe get an Ozonics, and build an enclosure to pump ozone on it and keep it sealed for sometime.

No telling why this is happening.

Hope you figure it out.

Nice mount as well.

Comment

Very nice looking mount

Comment

Stuck the mount on the back porch. Gonna see what a week of fresh air does for it.

Comment

The taxidermist may not ever be able to smell what you are smelling, because of all of the many odors he is around daily. Like one of my sisters has about seven dogs in her house. If anyone who does not live in that house walks in that house, the smell will knock them over. Everybody I know who has gone to her house can't tolerate the smell in her house, but she and her at least one of her kids who lives in the house, don't seem to have any idea how bad the smell is. When you live with odors like that everyday, they seem to get blocked out.

Maybe the idea of having him come to your house, that does not smell like a taxidermist shop, maybe then he can smell it, but I would be he still won't smell it. How you can get the taxidermist to figure out what the smell is I have no idea, I am going to bet it's a odor or combination of odors, he has long become immune to. Taking to someone who has knowledge of taxidermist work but does not work in a taxidermist shop, maybe they can identify the smell.
                      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2022, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        The taxidermist may not ever be able to smell what you are smelling, because of all of the many odors he is around daily. Like one of my sisters has about seven dogs in her house. If anyone who does not live in that house walks in that house, the smell will knock them over. Everybody I know who has gone to her house can't tolerate the smell in her house, but she and her at least one of her kids who lives in the house, don't seem to have any idea how bad the smell is. When you live with odors like that everyday, they seem to get blocked out.

Maybe the idea of having him come to your house, that does not smell like a taxidermist shop, maybe then he can smell it, but I would be he still won't smell it. How you can get the taxidermist to figure out what the smell is I have no idea, I am going to bet it's a odor or combination of odors, he has long become immune to. Taking to someone who has knowledge of taxidermist work but does not work in a taxidermist shop, maybe they can identify the smell.
                        I 100 percent agree with you. That’s been a thought of mine this whole time. Their shop smells like 100 chemicals all mixed together. I’m hoping that letting it sit outside will get rid of the smell. Next step from here is going to be them trying to get a new cape for it.

Comment

Taxi is "nose blind"

Maybe take it to another taxi and see if they can ID smell. Could be a different chemical used in tanning.
                          I had a euro done and it smelled. Hung it outside for a month and it had time to air out and go away.

Comment

Put your nose to the antlers. They are in velvet right.

Comment

If it smells rotten and has hair slippage the cape might have not got cooled off in a timely manner or was left out too long during tanning process and spoiled.

Comment

Working...
                              X