8 ply vs 10 ply tires…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 ply vs 10 ply tires…

All right guys, I got a Ram 2500 with a Cummins and have leveling kit with 37s with Toyo Open Country R/Ts and am wanting to switch to a tire with less aggressive tread. I’m looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers and Falken Wildpeak At3. The thing is switching from a 10 ply tire to an 8 ply tire. Don’t haul much except a 22’ boat and sometimes a 2 seater ranger. I haven’t read about any issues but figured I’d ask the TBH brain trust their opinion. Any info is greatly appreciated! 🍻

The difference is 2 ply. I’ve always been decent at math.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are the 8 plys still E-rated?

I would not do this on a 3/4 ton truck, especially a diesel. It wouldn’t surprise me if tire shops refused to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Are the 8 plys still E-rated?

I would not do this on a 3/4 ton truck, especially a diesel. It wouldn’t surprise me if tire shops refused to do it.

This. I typically have about 1000# on the bed of my truck at any given time and there's no way in Hades I'd go with anything less than a 10-ply E-rated tire. Even if just for the saved time from fixing flats when the tires get worn halfway or more. The difference is night and day.

Comment

Stick with 10 plys

Comment

I have E-Ply KO's on my F-150 and my son's F-250 that are great and lasting.

Comment

Been running 8ply D rated 37” on my 1 ton PSD. I tow moderate loads7-10k lbs occasionally. Zero problems. At the time I bought them, I couldn’t find the size I needed 37/1350/18 in an E rated. They make them now so I’ll prolly go that route. Although if I got a sick deal on a set of 8plys I wouldn’t hesitate. I’ve chewed these tires up off-road and they are still holding air just fine.

Comment

Vote for 10 ply here

Suburban and F250 both with 10ply. Suburban ride is noticeably different from the previous 4ply. Putting my stock wheels & tires back on truck for summer to store Yokohama MTs for winter, only be using truck to haul camper/boat to coast.

Side note experience: I had a set of Terra Grapplers on a F150, took them off at after 73k miles(pavement) and sold them for $100.

Check out Trail Finder All Terrains. That’s the 10plys I have on the suburban and I think they hold up very well on a half ton, not sure on a 3/4 ton though.

Comment

Toyo RT’s are not really an aggressive tread. Those are one of the best tires for big trucks. Nitto’s are for half tons

Comment

Trucks get 10-12 ply and trailers get 14. Good rule of thumb at my house. I am sure the 8 ply would work but why take a chance ? Are the 10 ply back ordered ? I was looking at the same tires for my Chevy but went with coopers in the end.

Comment

8 ply vs 10 ply tires…

Idk how less aggressive you are looking for, but I have Toyo Open Country HT II on my truck and love them. They are a 10 ply (Load Range E) highway tread. I also don’t know if they come in as big a size as you are looking for???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Bisch; 04-06-2022, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                        Trucks get 10-12 ply and trailers get 14. Good rule of thumb at my house. I am sure the 8 ply would work but why take a chance ? Are the 10 ply back ordered ? I was looking at the same tires for my Chevy but went with coopers in the end.
                        All tires are getting tough to find, I was just looking for more an AT because 90% of the time the truck is on the highway

Comment

Comment

If you aren't hauling it would probably be fine but you may have issues with tire shops installing the 8 ply due to load rating. I'd go with 10 myself.

Comment

Originally posted by fowladdict View Post
                              All tires are getting tough to find, I was just looking for more an AT because 90% of the time the truck is on the highway
                              Like most trucks!

Which is why I laugh at the city trucks with these super aggressive, big, and expensive tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X