No announcement yet.

Best Fridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 year old Whirlpool is still going minus the icemaker.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
      The only way to make sure you get one that lasts forever is to buy it in Avocado Green.
      Lol, when I got married we bought a used maybe 6 month old Avocado Green Whirlpool washer.
      We used it 25 years. Only replaced it to get a white washer to match our dryer.
      Last edited by Mertzon Man; 04-08-2022, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I think your replacement sort of depends on the size and configuration you have. If its 60" or 84" built in I would strongly suggest you look at Electrolux/Frigidaire for their "twins" replacement. Its separate fridge/freezer units that are installed together, separate compressors and $1500 or less each so unit replacement is not as painful if ever needed. They also have local factory service techs to repair their gear. I worked for the company for 10 years so I know the quality and trust them. All cold products are built in Anderson, SC which is a plus!

Outside of that I would lean towards Bosch-Thermador for cold products. They are building great gear at a fair price for the design and quality.

Important to know the brands...

Sub Zero owns Wolf and Cove brands
        Haier owns Monogram, Cafe and GE brands
        Whirlpool owns Jenn-Air, Kitchen-Aid, Maytag and Whirlpool brands
        Samsung owns Dacor

I would avoid LG, Samsung like the plague especially on cold products. Lack of service technicians, parts and poor CS are all to blame for those that have had lingering issues.

It is also not true that all brands buy one compressor. Whirlpool for example produces their own. Lot's of consolidation on parts suppliers but the statement was untrue.

Best of luck to you.

AC

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post
          I think your replacement sort of depends on the size and configuration you have. If its 60" or 84" built in I would strongly suggest you look at Electrolux/Frigidaire for their "twins" replacement. Its separate fridge/freezer units that are installed together, separate compressors and $1500 or less each so unit replacement is not as painful if ever needed. They also have local factory service techs to repair their gear. I worked for the company for 10 years so I know the quality and trust them. All cold products are built in Anderson, SC which is a plus!

Outside of that I would lean towards Bosch-Thermador for cold products. They are building great gear at a fair price for the design and quality.

Samsung owns Dacor

I would avoid LG, Samsung like the plague especially on cold products. Lack of service technicians, parts and poor CS are all to blame for those that have had lingering issues.

It is also not true that all brands buy one compressor. Whirlpool for example produces their own. Lot's of consolidation on parts suppliers but the statement was untrue.

Best of luck to you.

AC
          I’m glad to hear this. We just bought the Frigidaire fridge and freezer, 33” models. Ordered them in December, they won’t be here until June. We bought a new Maytag for the house we are in now, zero complaints from it so far, 9 months into it

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post

Samsung owns Dacor

Best of luck to you.

AC
            Only thing I could really add to this is....

If you buy the "twins" and 6 years from now the freezer needs replacing but the fridge is still good do you really think they will still match?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Well, I’m the odd man out. We had a minor issue with our Samsung when we first bought it, but otherwise, it has been going strong for probably 15 years, maybe longer.
              Same here. Had ours 6 years now, just a few minor issues.

Comment

We are going on 8 years with a GE and all I can say is it's honestly a crap shoot with all major brands. My sister literally purchased the same model GE a year after we did and theirs went out around the 5 year mark.

The way these things are made today, I'd say be happy with any of them lasting more than 5 years and I would consider 10 years a blessing, at least for the typical major brands.

Comment

We had s GE French door fridge that we bought off Craigslist in 2007. Guy said it was 2 years old. Thing ran for 6 months then freezer went out. The repairman came out and told us it was a known issue but if we allowed him to he knew of a better fix than just replacing the part. So, we agreed and paid him an extra $50. Boys that refrigerator ran perfect until 2018 when we sold our house and gave it to the buyers. That 11 years included 4 moves to 3 different states.

If you can find a really good repairman they can save you headaches in more ways than one.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    Are you changing the LG water filter?? I have two ice makers on our LG & changing the water filter regularly fixed our funky tasting ice. Ours is located inside top left.
                    Just saw this, yes, we did change the filter. It shouldn't matter (to my knowledge) because of the filter we installed before the fridge. It is still doing it nearly a year (and another filter) later.

Comment

Our old Samsung in garage is maybe 8 years old with no complaints. Samsung (came with house) is a couple of years old and has the dreaded water leaking from freezer. After reading this thread I might be replacing it soon...

Comment

We shopped and replaced ~2 years ago.

One thing I noticed- all the brands for sale at Lowes were "Made In Mexico".

Once I saw that I told the wife to pick out whichever she wanted.

We ended up with a Whirlpool.

She replaced the French door we had with a side by side.

I now know I preferred the French door version.

Comment

Parts are stupid high, but I still think GE lasts the longest overall.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            Have a Sub-Zero that’s 15 years old. I’ve never had a problem with it and it’s still going strong. Buy once, cry once.

My Whirlpool washer and dryer on the other hand…
                            I could cry 7 times for the price of one of those.
                            I am a firm believer in buying quality, but I'm not spending 15k on no fridge.

Comment

Guess I got lucky. We bought all new Samsung appliances about 5 years ago including fridge, oven/range, microwave, dishwasher, washer & dryer. All have been amazing with no issues.

Comment

kinda wish this thread would have been here two weeks ago - we just bout a an LG ThinQ with the craft ice maker, but mostly cause that was what was available and was told by some folks to avoid the samsung models.

Guess it's good thing I bought the 5 year warranty on it...

Comment

Working...
                                X