Tax fraud/stolen identity questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax fraud/stolen identity questions

Accountant tried to file our taxes last night. It's says they have already been filed, and turns out where's my refund was being deposited today, just not to my account. So que filling out form, and sending in paper return.
    I was able to pull transcripts off of IRS website. The transcripts show the information/figures ect that our accountant had put in. The transcripts also show the last last 4 digits tax preparers EIN number, they are not the accountant I used EIN.
    IRS finally gave me the full EIN number, name and agency of a guy in Tennessee that is listed as the tax preparer on the transcript. As well as the routing and account number the refund is going to. Bank is an online only bank and no live person will answer the phone.
    My question: Is the tax preparer listed on the IRS transcript most likely the guy who committed the fraud or is he an innocent guy who's identity was also used to get the money?

This is not a case of using ssn and filing fraudulent return. This appears to be a case of accountants system hacked and refund redirected.

Hope you get it resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
      Hope you get it resolved.
      Thanks. IRS says to expect a year for it to be resolved. So I'm planning on 2.

Comment

Happened to me about 6 years ago. I asked the agent to tell me about myself. He said I made $30K, 6 dependents and got a $4K refund. I asked him to look at my actual returns for the last 10 yrs. I have paid every year and I have never had 6 dependents. I asked him why not just go after the bank account that the money was deposited into, he said they got a prepaid debit car with the refund on it!!!

Comment

Don't count on it. I worked a case once where a guy had a similar issue. His identity had been stolen and sold. The crook had been living as him for over 22 years and he had huge tax issues. The IRS wasn't smart enough to figure out you cannot work 80 hours a week and live 900 miles apart in two states at once, for two decades. He had to fill out multiple affidavits to keep from having to pay extra income taxes every single year. They had they crook's info and did nothing.
          The crook made a critical error one day. He moved to Texas and came into the DL office I was at that particular day. Fortunately, thanks to cell phones and pic verification, I was able to contact the victim. After three hours, got him proved up and jailed the bad guy. The victim was beside himself, he told me how the IRS wouldn't do a thing.
          I called them and sent my report and they basically shredded it. They couldn't care less. The victim filed suit and claimed everything the crook had that was in the victim's name. When it was all finished, about a year later, the victim called me to thank me.
          He had one last question. The crook had actually worked and paid into social security, under his name. He told me he contacted social security and they just brushed him off and asked me what to do. I told him "enjoy it". It's what the crook deserves.
          Anyways, again, good luck.
          Last edited by Guardian Reaper; 04-06-2022, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmac24 View Post
            Happened to me about 6 years ago. I asked the agent to tell me about myself. He said I made $30K, 6 dependents and got a $4K refund. I asked him to look at my actual returns for the last 10 yrs. I have paid every year and I have never had 6 dependents. I asked him why not just go after the bank account that the money was deposited into, he said they got a prepaid debit car with the refund on it!!!
            Wow. Not good.
            This return matches up to everything my accountant typed in. The only way I convinced it's was to get them to look at previous ein numbers of cpa. I told them I use the same guy every year. He was able to see where someone changed bank account info and cpa to someone in Tennessee. I don't know why that wasn't flagged as suspicious.
            I wish I knew if guy in Tennessee was being frauded as well.

Comment

Why won't someone hack mine and settle up my tax debt?

Good luck with it all,

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                Why won't someone hack mine and settle up my tax debt?

Good luck with it all,

Michael
                Ironically cpa said this happened to some others. A few owed taxes and being as they were filing fraudulent refunds they were just changing preparer and bank accounts he thought it was odd.

Comment

when you operate under the assumption that the people in power are actively trying to destroy our society everything makes sense. just today i found out that bidet's puppetmasters are giving free smartphones to illegals when they cross the border, supposedly to give them a way to follow up with ICE or whoever about their court dates. it's totally not about incentivizing illegal immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by jmac24 View Post
                    Same thing happened to me about the same time. Filed an extension and wrote a pretty good size check. Always pay every year and been living in the same place for over a decade at that time. Ironically that year someone got a refund and somewhere else. I mean common sense would tell you. Took forever to get it straight. IRS took my money, paid someone else, and sent me a threatening letter about a lien. It was a mess. Now IRS mails me and my wife each a letter every year with a code, I have to not lose or I can't file.

Comment

Working...
                    X