McDonald Observatory and places to stay around it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McDonald Observatory and places to stay around it

Looking to take the kids there this summer. Wanting to do more than just there and back though. Any recommendations?

Also any places around there to stay or avoid? Could pull travel trailer if needed.

Stay at the Indian Lodge @ Fort Davis State Park. Fort Davis is a neat town, several good places to eat.

Do the star party @ the observatory.

Go to Alpine. Eat at Reata.

Go to Balmorhea and swim.

Skip Marfa.

Comment

We stayed in Davis Mtn SP last September in the RV or as suggested, the Indian Lodge.

Comment

Yes skip Marfa.

We stayed 2 nights in downtown Ft Davis at the B&B over the Ft Davis drugstore.

Comment

We stayed at the Sproul ranch. It is remote but the sunsets look directly at the observatory. They do hunts also by the way.

Comment

My parents were just there few weeks ago. They weren't allowing visitors to the observatory.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

*If you are going to be down there during a new moon, try to set up a special viewing night at the observatory. (This is different than the star parties)
              I went during the new moon in October a long time ago. There was a handful of us who paid $100 to go into one of the 36” telescope observatory rooms with an astronomer. Was very neat and saw some unbelievable stuff

*Indian lodge at fort Davis state park is nice if you need a/c and shower. Since Ft Davis is a mile high elevation it cools off nicely at night even in the summer so I found it was actually tolerable to camp out in a tent in the park. The state park has some nice hikes and views. Also save some time to go and see the fort Davis national historical site, especially if you or any of the kids are into history.

* balmorhea springs state park is a must with the kids. Bring snorkel gear..you’ll thank me later.

* there’s some dang good Mexican food places to eat in fort Davis.

If you need more things to do, you can go a little further south and go to terlingua and big bend.

Comment

The place used to be a neat place to go. Ever since the Covid crap started they are a bunch of lazy mask freaks. I won’t go back again. We tried twice on two separate trips to take the kids. They cancel everything they can, close up early and are as rude as I’ve seen. Very disappointing for the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  My parents were just there few weeks ago. They weren't allowing visitors to the observatory.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

When we were there, they were not opening the visitors center during the day as normal but were still holding the star parties. Star party reservations are best made well in advance as they fill up quick.
                  Last edited by Bill M; 04-06-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

We went this last summer. Did the Observatory, Alpine, Fort Davis and Big Bend. Spent the last night at The Gage in Marathon. I would definitely suggest mixing in Big Bend if you are already going that far.

We didn't have any problems at the Star Party. The night before they had cancelled because of Thunderstorms moving in. I can understand that. You don't really want to charge people for a Star Party when you can't see the stars.
                    Last edited by Miller; 04-06-2022, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                      Stay at the Indian Lodge @ Fort Davis State Park. Fort Davis is a neat town, several good places to eat.

Do the star party @ the observatory.

Go to Alpine. Eat at Reata.

Go to Balmorhea and swim.

Skip Marfa.
                      This and the travel trailer camping is great. Get one of the pull through sites if you can.

After dark go to the top of the hill in the park bring a blanket go up to top of little tower lay down and look up at the sky. Kids will dig it.

Agree Marfa was not great all shut down lots of hippies.

Go to Marfa lights and bring binoculars. I and my whole family saw lights there with bino's that we cannot explain. Truly amazing.

Comment

Would like to go but that is a long haul for me. So I got my own observatory.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                          Way cool

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                            OK, that's just cool!

Comment

A good question BigL, thanks for asking it, I would like to get out that way myself. Thanks to all who posted this info.

Comment

Working...
                              X