Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do all these snakes hide during the winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do all these snakes hide during the winter?

Do all snakes take refuge in holes in the ground? Do the rat snakes share with rattlesnakes and copperheads alike?

I got into a bunch of Timber rattlers in January a couple of years ago that were denned up in a bunch of concrete that had been demoed and dumped in a creek. We dug up at least a couple of hundred of them. We did come across one copperhead, but the rest were all rattlesnakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They'll share dens with rattlesnakes. Even snakes that will eat rattlesnakes will den up with rattlesnakes. Old animal borrows or wherever they can find that's below the frost line. Whether man made or just naturally there. For example in basements or old cellars,under houses,etc.

Comment

In Texas, snakes den up under just about anything. I have found them under logs laying on the ground. I have found them under deer blinds that have fallen over. Then one winter about seven years ago. I was out in the brush behind the house. There were a bunch of dead trees, that had been killed by a drought we had some years earlier. I don't know what type of trees they were, but I leaned on one, or pushed it, don't remember what I was trying to do. But the tree broke off below ground and fell over. The tree was probably 6" to 8" in diameter. It shocked me the tree broke and fell over with very little force. Then I looked in the hole where the trunk of the tree had been, the hole was maybe 10" to a 12" deep and 10" in diameter. In the bottom of the hole, were about five green tree snakes. That day, the temps were probably in the 60s, but we had, had temps below freezing that winter. I went and checked some of the other trees in the area, of the same type. Just like the first one, the others would break and fall over with little effort. Then once the tree was down and the bottom of roots or trunk of the tree came up out of the ground, there would be around four to eight green tree snakes in the bottom of the hole. Before pushing over any of those trees, I looked around the bases, and could not find any signs of a holes or holes that something could use to get down below the tree. The ground look very solid, but there were tree snakes under every tree I pushed over. I pushed over four, if I remember correctly.

This far south, snakes will get up under just about anything and hibernate for the winter. I have found rattlers slithering around very sluggishly in the middle of the winter, I was sure that something or someone moved whatever they were hibernating under. Then eventually the snake realized it and moves on looking or another place to hibernate.

Comment

Chrisgunguy on here has a video of him and his buddy that had stopped because they seen a rattle snake. He is whipping his phone around to film snakes coming from every direction, crawling right by them, all going to the same armadillo hole. The language is deplorable and hilarious at the same time.

Comment

While building our lake back in January here in NE Tx, the contractors were telling me about digging up copperheads. There’s a lot of rock close to the surface so I figure they were in spaces between and under the larger ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
              Chrisgunguy on here has a video of him and his buddy that had stopped because they seen a rattle snake. He is whipping his phone around to film snakes coming from every direction, crawling right by them, all going to the same armadillo hole. The language is deplorable and hilarious at the same time.
              It was nervous excitement! There were snakes I didn't see with my own eyes that I saw on the video and I was in shorts and sneakers. Don't judge me.

Comment

My dad and I once found one in the combustion chamber of a small block Chevy cylinder head that was at the bottom of a stack of many we were moving in his shop one winter. It was a cold day and the little guy was like a hockey puck we were sliding across the floor of the shop.

Comment

In the clouds

Comment

White House

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      White House
                      Winner!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                        It was nervous excitement! There were snakes I didn't see with my own eyes that I saw on the video and I was in shorts and sneakers. Don't judge me.
                        Lets see the video. I looked for it but could not find it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                          Lets see the video. I looked for it but could not find it.
                          He didn't post it. If he did, it would have to be on silent mode.

Comment

Working...
                          X