Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
    Why you don't see them:
    Unlike true rabbits, who are born bald and helpless, a jack rabbit gives birth to young who are already well-furred and open-eyed. The mother does not build a regular nest but places each baby in a separate hiding place. This way, if a predator finds one of the young, the others are not at risk. She nurses the babies a few times each day for only the first two to three days and does not typically provide any care after that time.

You may have seen one but thought it was just a young cottontail.
    I suppose that's possible. I know in the Spring if you go to a prairie dog town baby rabbits are everywhere taking shelter in prairie dog holes.

Reminds me of a funny story. One time a buddy and I were out rattlesnake huntin in a prairie dog town and he looks in a hole and jumps back. He said "Oh my God! There's somethin in there!" I asked if it was a snake and he said no. I go look and a cottontail was staring up at me. I got a pretty good laugh out of that. That scared the crap out of him.

Comment

As a kid I "raised" two, a few years apart that came out from underneath a brushpiles that had been set on fire. They were neat, but always wild. Turned them loose after they got bigger and for several months, always saw one. He had a notched ear and was easy to identify.

Comment

I've seen them when they were half grown!

Comment

I wondered about baby roadrunners in a long ago post and snake lover had the answer:

Comment

Only ones I have ever seen was when plowing high weeds in a field. Probably about 1/3rd to 1/2 grown. Hawks loved following the plow.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              I've never seen a baby bigfoot.

How about a baby smallfoot?

Comment

I've seen a couple several years ago,but none recently

Comment

I raised some baby jacks about 25 yrs ago.
                  Brush hog and hit mother in tall grass.
                  Felt horrible, so I fed them with an eye dropper until they grew up.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    So I guess my question is this although it may be a dumb question. Were they in abandoned animal borrows you think or just in taller grass? The reason I ask that is I've seen rabbits and all kinds of things in old coyote and badger dens and even in prairie dog holes.
                    Pretty sure the reason you have never seen young jackrabbits, is jackrabbits have burrows they dig and live in. Cottontails don't dig burrows, they can dig, but not big diggers like jackrabbits.

I have never seen a young jackrabbit or baby jackrabbit, I hunted in areas that had a lot of both the blacktail jackrabbits that are probably common up in Okiehoma, then in some areas of south Texas we have whitetail jackrabbits. The blacktail jackrabbits are the ones that have the long legs and can run like a grayhound. The whitetail jackrabbits, have shorter legs, but large bodies, they get pretty big. They look like wild versions of domestic rabbits, that you would show or raise to eat, but with a jackrabbit coloring. I think those also burrow. The first time I ever saw a whitetail jackrabbit, when I was a kid, I thought it was some mammoth cottontail, I killed it and took it back to camp. Then I was told it was a jackrabbit. I saw it had long ears, but it did not have the long legs that jacks are known for.

I have seen some probably four month old blacktail jacks, but that's probably the youngest I have ever seen.
                    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-05-2022, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      Pretty sure the reason you have never seen young jackrabbits, is jackrabbits have burrows they dig and live in. Cottontails don't dig burrows, they can dig, but not big diggers like jackrabbits.

I have never seen a young jackrabbit or baby jackrabbit, I hunted in areas that had a lot of both the blacktail jackrabbits that are probably common up in Okiehoma, then in some areas of south Texas we have whitetail jackrabbits. The blacktail jackrabbits are the ones that have the long legs and can run like a grayhound. The whitetail jackrabbits, have shorter legs, but large bodies, they get pretty big. They look like wild versions of domestic rabbits, that you would show or raise to eat, but with a jackrabbit coloring. I think those also burrow. The first time I ever saw a whitetail jackrabbit, when I was a kid, I thought it was some mammoth cottontail, I killed it and took it back to camp. Then I was told it was a jackrabbit. I saw it had long ears, but it did not have the long legs that jacks are known for.

I have seen some probably four month old blacktail jacks, but that's probably the youngest I have ever seen.
                      I’ve never seen a jackrabbit in a borrow. At least in Oklahoma.

Comment

I've seen them. And possums. Never a baby armadillo, though.

Comment

Working...
                        X