No announcement yet.

ATV Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I debated on 2 4 wheelers for my son an I. Bought a side by side, best move I ever made. It is a 2008 Polaris Ranger 700, we have worked that thing way more than we could have a 4 wheeler. Pulled trailer around ranch, haul corn, drag logs, and etc. I changed the original drive belt finally last year, along with some bushings. I know some bash the Polaris but we have had good luck with ours even with mice chewing the wire harness, splice it back and hit the road. All depends on what you are going to use it for, buy the machine first then the trailer. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
      I debated on 2 4 wheelers for my son an I. Bought a side by side, best move I ever made. It is a 2008 Polaris Ranger 700, we have worked that thing way more than we could have a 4 wheeler. Pulled trailer around ranch, haul corn, drag logs, and etc. I changed the original drive belt finally last year, along with some bushings. I know some bash the Polaris but we have had good luck with ours even with mice chewing the wire harness, splice it back and hit the road. All depends on what you are going to use it for, buy the machine first then the trailer. Good luck.
      I've had the same debate. I thin you're wise. But, already have a trailer, replacing it with one big enough for a SxS is too much cost, and SxS's are more expensive to begin with. I hunt alone and will make a wheeler work.

Comment

I’m on my 1st Honda. It’s a 1986 Fourtrax 4X4. Been running great for 36 years.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
          I’m on my 1st Honda. It’s a 1986 Fourtrax 4X4. Been running great for 36 years.
          Impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
            I've had the same debate. I thin you're wise. But, already have a trailer, replacing it with one big enough for a SxS is too much cost, and SxS's are more expensive to begin with. I hunt alone and will make a wheeler work.
            Agreed, they are not cheap. I think I paid about 9k for the Ranger 13 yrs ago. I bought the trailer after that but they were cheaper then.
            I can't believe the prices for a nice one now, big time sticker shock. I saw a Can Am at a show, all tricked out with anything that you could want and the price tag was just short of 35K. No way could I justify that expense. Hope you get what you need and it does the job for you. I plan to keep mine til it just can't be fixed or blows up on me.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
              I just bought a Honda pioneer 520 yesterday , love it so far and it fits on my trailer and in my cargo trailer I converted into a toy hauler/ camper . I have had Honda’s since the early 80’s and a big red . Tried Polaris for one year in 2000, bought 2 new trail 4 wheelers and they broke down the first trip out . Constantly had to be pulled back to the camp on one of them . They were at the dealer on and off for almost a year with no change. Traded them both off for Honda’s .

Comment

I’ve put over 10k miles on two different Yamahas, but if I were to buy a 4 wheeler today, it would more than likely be a Honda Rancher with a manual shift transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
                  I’ve put over 10k miles on two different Yamahas, but if I were to buy a 4 wheeler today, it would more than likely be a Honda Rancher with a manual shift transmission.
                  Same here and I own a rancher too

What I’d do, is replace the seat in the Yamaha with a piece of plywood, weld the suspension in a fixed position. Remove the brakes and set the throttle stop to about 1/2 throttle…… then I would just pretend I had a new Honda for a week or to then go back to a fun atv to own. Lol

Comment

The Honda’s of today are not the same as the Honda’s from ten years ago or longer.

I have a Pioneer 500, and it just isn’t built that same as they used to.

That being said, I am not sure which direction I would go.

Comment

I have a 2017 Honda rancher I will make a deal on . Pm me if interested , dealer wasn’t offering much in way of trading for my 520 I just bought last weekend .

Comment

Haven’t read thru all the threads, so, I’ve owned 2. Both are and were Yamaha. First one was a 400, 4wd. It caught on fire and burnt up. I had replaced the carburetor just a few months prior. So I must not be a good ATV mechanic!!!
                        The next one I bought, Yamaha 700, 4wd with a winch. Both brothers have Honda. They are quite but rough as hell. You will feel every bump. Those don’t have independent suspension. Mine does and it makes a huge difference.
                        Must haves are independent suspension, 4 wheel drive, electric winch, and good racks, front and back.

Comment

Working...
                        X