Backcountry guys, help me decide on a sleep system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

few factors to consider. Here are some directions to explore:

Tent vs. Bivy vs. Tarp: Each option has its advantages and considerations. Tents provide more space and protection from the elements, making them suitable for extended hunts or hunting in inclement weather. Bivies are lightweight and offer quick setup, ideal for solo hunters or those who prefer minimal gear. Tarps are ultralight and provide versatility but may require more skill in setup and dealing with weather conditions.

Seasonal Adaptability: Since you plan on hunting both late September for elk and November for mule deer, it's essential to choose a sleep system that can handle different weather conditions. Look for tents or shelters with good insulation, ventilation options, and the ability to withstand colder temperatures and potential snowfall.

Tent Options: The Argali Rincon and Seek Outside Silex are both reputable options worth considering. Evaluate their features, such as weight, size, durability, ease of setup, and weather resistance. Look for models that offer adequate space for your needs and have sturdy construction.

Stove Jack: If you plan on hunting in colder months like November, a stove jack can be beneficial for adding a lightweight stove inside your tent. This helps provide warmth and comfort during colder nights. Evaluate if this feature is necessary for your specific hunting conditions.

Floorless vs. Floored Tents: Floorless tents can be advantageous as they are lighter and allow you to set up over various terrains. However, they may require additional accessories like ground sheets or bug netting. Floored tents provide more protection from bugs, moisture, and drafts, but they tend to be slightly heavier.

Accessories: Consider additional accessories that can enhance your sleep system, such as insulated sleeping pads, sleeping bags or quilts suitable for colder temperatures, lightweight camp pillows, and moisture management solutions like a groundsheet or footprint.

Remember to thoroughly research and read reviews from other hunters who have used the sleep systems you are interested in. Consider factors like durability, ease of use, and overall performance. Each hunter's preferences and needs may differ, so finding a sleep system that aligns with your requirements and anticipated hunting conditions is crucial.

Comment

Thread got brought back up lol. Guess I'll update it then. I actually just made my decision last week and bought a Tarptent Double Rainbow DW. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Comment

Ugh. Now we have bots talkin got one another.

Comment

Carry a blow up mattress and put your pad on top. Sleep very well with no cold coming thru like sleeping n just a blow up mattress.

Did that a few times but too **** old to do it again!

Comment

This is a great deal and suits your purpose. Quality equipment is a must and REI is great stuff.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a hammock system and sleep like a baby. Tried a ultralight tent the first time and wasn’t happy with it. Went to a hammock and never looked back.

Comment

I use a eureka spitfire tent. I use a piece of tyvek from Lowes under my tent. Standard sleeping pad and mummy bag. Weight is key when packing in. I have packed in 9 miles and stayed 5 days at 10,000 feet with this system in Colorado bow elk season.

Lately I'm playing with the hammock.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                  Thread got brought back up lol. Guess I'll update it then. I actually just made my decision last week and bought a Tarptent Double Rainbow DW. Cant wait to get my hands on it.
                  Well, I will make you feel good about the 2x rainbow choice. I use a 2x rainbow when I do my long hikes. There are a lot of good choices for tents out there, but I stay solid on my choice. I used 2x on Appalachian Trail, Jon Muir Trail and last year in most of the Pacific Crest Trail. It has always served me well.

Damage it and you can send back to Tarptent and they will repair it. Heck, Henry Shires (owner) typically answers the phone. You will eventually damage the mosquito netting.

If you hunt with hiking poles, setting it up without stakes is nice in rocky areas. Just do NOT decide to move it with anything in it! Divining so can result in a snapped pole. I carry a ferrule to fix a break… and you should to.

I have weathered some stuff in it. Funny, the wettest night ever was in mills county Turkey hunting. Poured all night. Tent did well, with just a bit of moisture inside.

It’s roomy. My wife sent her Tarptent home last year on Pacific Crest Trail and we just went with one. We slept in in for 5 months together and we are still married.

Good choice.

Comment

My entire sleep system fits inside a US GI sustainment pouch and weighs very little. It’s attached to my pack with carbiners

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                      Well, I will make you feel good about the 2x rainbow choice. I use a 2x rainbow when I do my long hikes. There are a lot of good choices for tents out there, but I stay solid on my choice. I used 2x on Appalachian Trail, Jon Muir Trail and last year in most of the Pacific Crest Trail. It has always served me well.

Damage it and you can send back to Tarptent and they will repair it. Heck, Henry Shires (owner) typically answers the phone. You will eventually damage the mosquito netting.

If you hunt with hiking poles, setting it up without stakes is nice in rocky areas. Just do NOT decide to move it with anything in it! Divining so can result in a snapped pole. I carry a ferrule to fix a break… and you should to.

I have weathered some stuff in it. Funny, the wettest night ever was in mills county Turkey hunting. Poured all night. Tent did well, with just a bit of moisture inside.

It’s roomy. My wife sent her Tarptent home last year on Pacific Crest Trail and we just went with one. We slept in in for 5 months together and we are still married.

Good choice.
                      Like to hear the good report! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

All the info you need on, buschcraftusa.com/forum/

Comment

Like to hear the good report! Thanks for sharing.
                          No prob. I enjoy sharing what I learned long distance hiking with guys who are planning back country hunting. A lot of the same gear applies… especially tents and sleep systems.

Also…go with a piece of tyvek as stinkbelly pointed out. Light weight and serves as a good ground cover along with an emergency rain/hail shelter.

Comment

This is what I use.

Big Agnes Fly Creek tent @ 1lb 11oz
                            Thermal Rest 3/4 pad @ 12oz
                            ZPack Quilt @ 18oz

Comment

Been researching the heck out of sleep systems in anticipation of my elk hunt in Colorado this year. This is all foreign to me, so I have much to learn.

I’m leaning towards a tent as opposed to a bivy or tarp, but could certainly be persuaded one way or the other still.

What are some directions I should look? I plan on hunting late September, but would like a system that I could carry over to November for mule deer hunts. A few that I’m looking at are the new Argali Rincon and the Seek Outside silex. Think a stove jack is a must if I plan on hunting November? Floorless best? Throw any and all thoughts my way including accessories and other must haves.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              These backcountry stoves look awesome but I only think I would do that if I could share weight with someone or if I knew spot was not very long or difficult hike to get to. I have slept outside in single digit degree weather in a warm bag and my insulated layer on, no stove. I stayed warm but just barely. Getting up in the AM wasn't fun. I was near the truck if something went wrong.

I like double wall tents if very much humidity or moisture is expected. Have been caught out in few inches of snow with my tarptent and just hit it periodically to shed snow. It was fine, but you will deal with more condensation without double wall tent.

I wouldn't go floorless anything. I don't like the idea of sharing my bag with other critters. Have had a mouse chew through part of pack a few inches from me just outside the tent, waking up to mouse or other critter in your bag at 0 dark thirty, cold, and miles from the truck is a nope idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X