Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
    Sweet! I think they put snickers bar it it personally. [emoji2369]

As for feed, we’re only doing cottonseed and can barely keep up. We put out 10 tons in late February. I just did a loop and it’s 80% gone. Cottonseed prices are through the roof. We’re getting another load this week but I’m not sure we can feed them all year at this pace. Delivered it was $468 a ton. (Totes)
    I’ve got corn, protein, and alfalfa and then that plus cotton seed at another. Nowhere to get bull cotton seed anywhere close. I’m trying to get 2 spots goat proof and established then I’ll tweak feed and water.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
      Anyone have pics of their calf starter/sticker 16 bags? Need to show to my feed store to see if they either have it or can get it.

Give Brown feed store in Lampasas a call. Mr Brown will take a pics of the nutrition tag if you ask him. It’s called Stocker 16. Id I remember, it’s a good source of protein, fat , and fiber.
      Last edited by AntlerCollector; 03-26-2022, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I’m surprised no one has mentioned rice bran on here. I’ve used that for many years. It’s a base ingredient in lots of protein pellets and supplements. I have deer walk past corn to eat rice bran.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
          Amazes me that feed is judged on consumption and cost.
          On a serious note here. I try to be reasonable on these things. There’s very few of us that feed enough protein to make a difference. My feeders are all timed. I use it more as an attractant than anything. Does it help them? Absolutely. But not anything remotely close to what a true free choice feed program will do. I cannot afford to do that. I’ve got buddies feeding 10+ tons a month on ranches. That’s a fortune in feed. I can’t even afford to pay attention to that feed lol. Price matters to me but I want them to eat it. And want to come back for more. I don’t think you can feed enough in a timed feeder to make a huge impact. But I’m not any sort of pro by any stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            But I’m not any sort of pro by any stretch.
            You don’t have to be a pro. You can bring up anything from protein to nuclear physics and there will be pros coming out of the wood work on TBH. All the info you never needed right at your finger tips

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
              You don’t have to be a pro. You can bring up anything from protein to nuclear physics and there will be pros coming out of the wood work on TBH. All the info you never needed right at your finger tips
              Facts!

Comment

As dry as it is, if you guys are feeding enough to have them be consuming a significant portion of their daily intake in feed PLEASE do yourself a favor and make sure that the feed you are giving them has enough fiber in it.

Otherwise, what would be just a bad year could turn into 4 or 5 years of recovering your deer herd from massive foundering.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                  As dry as it is, if you guys are feeding enough to have them be consuming a significant portion of their daily intake in feed PLEASE do yourself a favor and make sure that the feed you are giving them has enough fiber in it.

Otherwise, what would be just a bad year could turn into 4 or 5 years of recovering your deer herd from massive foundering.

Yes. Contents of feed is and should always be first and foremost in choosing feed. Not all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

What is enough fiber?

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                      What is enough fiber?
                      I would want it over 14%+. A feed mentioned above that is known for high consumption is 7%

Edit- for you guys with green, for some areas where you are seeing zero growth, keep it at 16%+
                      I’ll be clear here, if you are feeding double down in north, south, or west Texas with current range conditions it is providing significantly less fiber than is needed for rumen function.
                      Last edited by Sippy; 03-27-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Amazes me that feed is judged on consumption and cost.

You’re amazed that someone factors things like how much an animal likes to eat a certain feed, and how much the feed costs?

Please enlighten us Mr Cull hunter on what exactly should folks be judging when it comes to how they spend their money feeding deer.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          On a serious note here. I try to be reasonable on these things. There’s very few of us that feed enough protein to make a difference. My feeders are all timed. I use it more as an attractant than anything. Does it help them? Absolutely. But not anything remotely close to what a true free choice feed program will do. I cannot afford to do that. I’ve got buddies feeding 10+ tons a month on ranches. That’s a fortune in feed. I can’t even afford to pay attention to that feed lol. Price matters to me but I want them to eat it. And want to come back for more. I don’t think you can feed enough in a timed feeder to make a huge impact. But I’m not any sort of pro by any stretch.
                          I agree no way timed is going to get the same results as free choice . But it definitely is easier on the pocket book . And some protein is definitely better then none .

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            You’re amazed that someone factors things like how much an animal likes to eat a certain feed, and how much the feed costs?

Please enlighten us Mr Cull hunter on what exactly should folks be judging when it comes to how they spend their money feeding deer.
                            If you are buying the least expensive ration and getting high consumption, what are you gaining by not having the right ingredients. Roughly 3 to 4 pounds is what an adult animal needs of the right feed. All else is passed as waste. Most people look at high consumption rates translating into healthier deer. However, on the right premium feed 2 pounds a day consumed can give them all they need as long as the ration is consistent which in today’s markets means higher prices due to commodity prices.

When buying feed, I think it is important to know exactly what is in the feed particularly the exact ingredients. Not talking about TDN, dry matter, etc … for example, cotton seed. Many feeds use cotton seed in their mix. So there really is no reason to feed both. Use that money for a premium feed.

In many cases the wrong feed could do more damage than good for the herd based on what is in it. As Encinal said, fiber is key right now with the lack of browse and Forbes.

After feeding most every feed on the market, in my opinion not all feeds are the same and it is important to know what is actually in the feed. Consumption rates don’t always equal the outcome you want. Always check your deers feet for signs of founder. The back toes will be long.

Comment

If you are buying the least expensive ration and getting high consumption, what are you gaining by not having the right ingredients. Roughly 3 to 4 pounds is what an adult animal needs of the right feed. All else is passed as waste. Most people look at high consumption rates translating into healthier deer. However, on the right premium feed 2 pounds a day consumed can give them all they need as long as the ration is consistent which in today’s markets means higher prices due to commodity prices.

When buying feed, I think it is important to know exactly what is in the feed particularly the exact ingredients. Not talking about TDN, dry matter, etc … for example, cotton seed. Many feeds use cotton seed in their mix. So there really is no reason to feed both. Use that money for a premium feed.

In many cases the wrong feed could do more damage than good for the herd based on what is in it. As Encinal said, fiber is key right now with the lack of browse and Forbes.

After feeding most every feed on the market, in my opinion not all feeds are the same and it is important to know what is actually in the feed. Consumption rates don’t always equal the outcome you want. Always check your deers feet for signs of founder. The back toes will be long.
                              What feed have you decided is best?

Comment

Range creep ?
                                With basically terrible range conditions right now is creep feed any value over the hot dose brands ?
                                Min. Crude Protein
                                14.00%
                                Crude Fat (min)
                                3.00%
                                Crude Fiber (max)
                                18.00%

I ask because that’s what the cattle guy is dumping and the deer are hammering away on it
                                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-27-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X