No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunter’s Thread 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving the 14th to stay until the 24th. I really don’t have a target trophy but it’s South Texas and in the middle of over 100,000 free range acres, and peak of our rut, so you never know what might step out. I do have 3 or 4 skimmers that are gonna catch an arra when they come in, so I don’t expect to come home empty handed.

Comment

Leaving this morning to head to Catarina and will be there most of the time until Jan 10 or so. Will have to come back to check on new house construction once a week or so and Htown for Christmas but otherwise I’ll be at the lease. Don’t anticipate us killing any trophies this year due to drought but we are going to work on does and culls. It’s still the deer lease and beats working! I’m starting to get the hang of this retirement gig! ��

Comment

Weather is miserable. Hot and foggy as heck.

It’s 7:30 and I still can’t see anything because if the fog.

Few deer a chasing a little but nothing serious. Im thinking the rut may have already happened in Brooks county. See a few busted bucks with some wounds and limping around a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Older bucks have been non-existent on cameras this week. Last weekend I had tons of bucks cruise the feeders. I'll head down tomorrow if for nothing more than to get all feeders filled before I take some time off next week and go back down.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
            I don’t know why but december 9-15 is when they always come out of the woodwork for us. It’s uncanny. Deer we’ve never seen before just show up one morning on a road. I love it.
            Can you please let our deer know that? The last two days have been the slowest I’ve ever seen for the month of December.
            Nothing but does on corn. Food plots are okay in the evenings but it’s not like they are full of deer. Maybe half a dozen.

Comment

We’ll be heading down the 15th be there till the 19th. No longer getting pics of the 6-7 bucks in the pen. Only one or two and a few small bucks with heads down chasing something. Hope fully next weeks front will get them kicked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                We’ll be heading down the 15th be there till the 19th. No longer getting pics of the 6-7 bucks in the pen. Only one or two and a few small bucks with heads down chasing something. Hope fully next weeks front will get them kicked off.
                it's way too green! not sure when you've been down last, but everything down there looks like a park!

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                  Can you please let our deer know that? The last two days have been the slowest I’ve ever seen for the month of December.
                  Nothing but does on corn. Food plots are okay in the evenings but it’s not like they are full of deer. Maybe half a dozen.
                  well... give it time, the memo just went out today.

yeah, with this trash weather, I don't think my forecast is gonna stick!

Comment

The hunting was even worse this weekend. The good thing is the deer are fat and happy, I suppose. Oh well. Maybe they can hide out in the brush for the rest of the year since their horns are down anyway. [emoji2369]

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                      Leaving this morning to head to Catarina and will be there most of the time until Jan 10 or so. Will have to come back to check on new house construction once a week or so and Htown for Christmas but otherwise I’ll be at the lease. Don’t anticipate us killing any trophies this year due to drought but we are going to work on does and culls. It’s still the deer lease and beats working! I’m starting to get the hang of this retirement gig! ��
                      Now that's living!

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        I'm glad we aren't not the only ones struggling. Undoubtedly the slowest weekend we've experienced on our place in 6 years. I'm not sure we didn't have a die off. I realize it it's a jungle down there right now but that has never stopped the corn heads from showing up on a regular basis. Oh well.

Comment

Very slow for us this weekend too. I’m looking forward to this cool front. Next weekend looks cool, overcast and maybe some drizzle. I can’t wait.

Comment

Young 8 I got to watch from 20 yards away 2 weeks ago was made roadkill last night. Bummer

I had my grandpa's 35 remington with me that night, I've yet to kill a deer with it, and almost shot him because that's what grandpa would've done.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                              it's way too green! not sure when you've been down last, but everything down there looks like a park!
                              We have been green since October. Been a couple weeks since I’ve been there but it was raining then. Im just ready to see something different come out. Even if it’s just a glimpse of an unfamiliar rack creeping through the brush.

Comment

Anybody down around Duval now? Wondering what the activity is like. We’ll be headed down Friday after work and staying till Christmas Eve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X