JFT Turkey Tour 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
    Thanks Clay. Is the Avian X a decent decoy? Wasn't planning on jumping in too deep with a DSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely

Comment

Working down in Karnes today so I swung by a spot

One thing that’s been consistent is the lack of gobbling on the roost. Maybe a coincidence, but something to keep in mind if you don’t hear them first thing in the morning.

Comment

Thanks Clay. Is the Avian X a decent decoy? Wasn't planning on jumping in too deep with a DSD

Dakota Decoys are pretty good too. Avian X are easily available on amazon. Phelps Diaphragm calls are the easiest to blow from the various ones that I have tried, though that can vary by fit from call maker to call maker.

Montana Decoy Miss Purrfect is a pretty good run and gun decoy that folds up into nothing to stick in a pack. Camofire has them and some of the Avian X decoys on sale today.

Though I'd check Amazon and elsewhere pricewise as camofire isn't always cheap after shipping.

Camofire brings you a new lineup of deals on hunting gear, camo and clothes everyday! Our hunting deals are typically 40-70% off retail.
        Last edited by El General; 03-17-2022, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Already seeing them breed hens in north zone. I despise TPWD for making us wait until the good time to hunt is over

Comment

Aight I'm back in the JFT follow game and turkey talk. I was at my lease Thurs-Sun and I've been sick now Sunday through today and still recovering. Tested negative for the 'rona and the flu thankfully with most of all the symptoms, but its been labeled a bad upper respiratory infection. Had me a little spooked there for awhile. So all that being said..... Lets get some birds kilt Clay, Popo and Kaden! I'm ready to get my own hunting started as well....

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
              Already seeing them breed hens in north zone. I despise TPWD for making us wait until the good time to hunt is over
              That's actually the reason they dont start the season early....to allow a certain percentage of the hens to get bred and run off to start their nesting/incubation phase before a significant number of the gobblers get taken out of the breeding process. Its an even bigger factor in East Texas for the Easterns, where they really need all the gobblers that are alive in early spring to be active in the breeding process before they get killed. That's coming from a TPWD upland bird guy that Im good friends with. In my experience, the hunting is usually better mid to late season anyways, when the gobblers arent so "henned up" and you can actually find a bird who is a bit lonely. Just wanted to pass that along, because I went to him with that same question a couple years ago when I used to have the same frustration!

Comment

Come on POD....don't be a tight wad....spend some of that Aggy oil money you are always talking about in the CFB thread and get the best! By once cry once..

I like the DSDs, Dakotas and Avians in that order. I had Dakotas at first and JFT shamed me into buying DSDs.... Called my Dakota jake "Fake Jake". Killed some good birds off of him though. I do like my DSDs though.

Last edited by Smart; 03-17-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Im getting pretty excited. New lease this year and have no idea where they are or where to start so Im just gunna pick an opening and start calling. Will just go from there I guess

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
                    That's actually the reason they dont start the season early....to allow a certain percentage of the hens to get bred and run off to start their nesting/incubation phase before a significant number of the gobblers get taken out of the breeding process. Its an even bigger factor in East Texas for the Easterns, where they really need all the gobblers that are alive in early spring to be active in the breeding process before they get killed. That's coming from a TPWD upland bird guy that Im good friends with. In my experience, the hunting is usually better mid to late season anyways, when the gobblers arent so "henned up" and you can actually find a bird who is a bit lonely. Just wanted to pass that along, because I went to him with that same question a couple years ago when I used to have the same frustration!
                    Right….I’m fully aware of the reason they do it. Doesn’t mean I have to like it….lol
                    And the super late start for Easterns is straight up BS!

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                      When no one makes a legit turkey decoy bag you build your own. Used a backpack harness from one of my duck decoy bags, bought some 500d cordura in mossy oak bottom land. Its roughly 28" wide and 32" tall. Placed a divider in the middle so my DSD decoys don't rub against each other. Sewed another compartment inside of it to hold my calls, drinks, snacks and other gear. Not the best pics, but this bag will hunt.

]
                      That's really slick. Do you have any pics of how/where you attached the bag to the pack?

After long hikes with my dekes sliding off my shoulder, bouncing around, and knocking my seat cushion off the magnets of my vest , I get annoyed and want to punt them all

I think I could definitely use a pack like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                        Right….I’m fully aware of the reason they do it. Doesn’t mean I have to like it….lol
                        And the super late start for Easterns is straight up BS!
                        Correct...its still hard to watch birds strut all over the place for several weeks before we can get the guns out!

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
                          Correct...its still hard to watch birds strut all over the place for several weeks before we can get the guns out!
                          Years ago, I read an article in some magazine that quoted a TP&W official as stating that they delay the open of turkey seasons until after most of the hens are bred. I don't know if that's still their policy now or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Come on POD....don't be a tight wad....spend some of that Aggy oil money you are always talking about in the CFB thread and get the best! By once cry once..

I like the DSDs, Dakotas and Avians in that order. I had Dakotas at first and JFT shamed me into buying DSDs.... Called my Dakota jake "Fake Jake". Killed some good birds off of him though. I do like my DSDs though.

Haha. Man you know it's been a 7 year struggle in the patch! [emoji23]

Really looking forward to getting out there this spring. Got a second hunt lined up as well. Good luck this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              Dakota Decoys are pretty good too. Avian X are easily available on amazon. Phelps Diaphragm calls are the easiest to blow from the various ones that I have tried, though that can vary by fit from call maker to call maker.

Montana Decoy Miss Purrfect is a pretty good run and gun decoy that folds up into nothing to stick in a pack. Camofire has them and some of the Avian X decoys on sale today.

Though I'd check Amazon and elsewhere pricewise as camofire isn't always cheap after shipping.

https://www.camofire.com/

Thanks for the advice General!

Comment

Haha. Man you know it's been a 7 year struggle in the patch! [emoji23]

Really looking forward to getting out there this spring. Got a second hunt lined up as well. Good luck this weekend!

Good luck to yall! We unfortunately don't start until 4/2....North zone...

Comment

Working...
                                X