No announcement yet.

JFT Turkey Tour 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to go Masters, Clay and Jaker! I shot one with my bow then watched him fly off with my arrow in him ����*♂️.

Comment

Had two come in together. Bigger one didnt want to come closer, smaller one stopped about 30yds out. Then they lost interest and started leaving. I did a soft purr and they turned, circled around a bit and came in bigger one was about 25yds when I let him have it ( shotgun )

Then never gobbled till about 50yds away

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
        Had two come in together. Bigger one didnt want to come closer, smaller one stopped about 30yds out. Then they lost interest and started leaving. I did a soft purr and they turned, circled around a bit and came in bigger one was about 25yds when I let him have it ( shotgun )

Then never gobbled till about 50yds away

Congrats Mike!! Post some pics!

Comment

[ATTACH]1084291[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
            [ATTACH]1084291[/ATTACH]

Nice hooks! Heckuva start! Congrats!

Comment

[ATTACH]1084292[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                Masters who?

Lmao, I was wondering when you were going to get one out of those pets lined out for tbh’s sake!

Congrats!

Comment

Put some to bed last night, knew one was a gobbler and figured the other was a hen. Got set up about 100 yards from them early this morning. Birds were talking a lot more than yesterday. Waited til fly down to give a few yelps and see what happens. As soon as they flew down I gave a soft yelp and got cut off by a hen behind us about 80 yards in the brush, I cut at her and then had the Tom gobble about 60 yards out headed our way. My brother and I were sitting against the same tree and he had first shot today. Well we got eyes on the one gobbler at about 45 yds and I hear his safety click and him ask if I’m on him and ready, but I don’t think he has a clear shot yet. Tell him shoot him when you’re ready. No sooner he shoots and the bird I have eyes on takes a few steps and stops so I give him a face full of #9’s at about 35 yds. 2 birds down before 7:30. Apparently the other bird was a Tom as well but never gobbled and was blocked by my view and he shot him at about 15 yards. Grabbed our birds and dropped them off at camp to go get on another. Played with 2 more toms but got beat out by 6 hens. Still not quite time and fewer birds than normal. An absolute blast like always.

Brothers had 1-7/16” hooks, I’m pretty sure it was a 3+ year old bird as I’ve never seen such huge feet on a Turkey. Both had decent beards ~9”. Thin birds though with things so dry, not much in the way of bugs and other food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to all you other successful Turkey killers, some good birds hitting the ground this weekend!

Comment

Congrats on the nice birds everyone, nice spurs! Can’t wait to get after them myself

Comment

Congrats on everyone's success.

Comment

The big flock has been fairly consistent over the last 2 weeks. They usually roosted in a large cottonwood tree on the edge of a mesquite lined creek bottom. They fly down into our plowed field and then work their way south into a hay field, and then ultimately into the creek bottoms and farm land.

Rather than getting in tight to their roost tree, I opted to set in the hay field about 400 yards away. My scouting showed them entering the hay field in the same general area each morning that I watched them.

Opening morning had us (my sister in law and I) just inside the fence line of the hay field facing the plowed field. I set the blind the afernoon before and to our surprise, our big flock was scattered in several roost trees up and down the creek. I didn't like our setup but it was too late to make any changes. For the better part of an hour, we had the birds in and out range. The only birds that would come to the front of the blind was the jakes. The longboards would be 10 yards behind the blind just watching....

After watching all the birds gather and then exit the field together, I decided to move the blind about 75 more yards into the field. I also decided to try the motion pair of decoys to try to entice some aggression from the flock.

First thing I did this morning when I pulled into the gate was glass the big cottonwood. unlike the day before, there were 30+ black spots scattered throughout its canopy. The birds flew down right at 7:30 and then hung out in the plowed field for a while. Finally around 8:30 they started heading our way. As turkeys typically do, instead of crossing the fence and heading towards us, they took a hard right and headed toward the dirt road. They took the road around us and entered the field about 150 yards behind us.

As each gobbler entered the field, I started pulling on the jerk cord. All I needed was 1 bird to show some aggression and the others would follow. Finally, the 11th longbeard showed some interest. A couple more tugs and he was on a dead sprint right towards us.

My SIL, Vicki, has never been turkey hunting and she asked if I could take her. The gameplan was for me to arrow the first one and then she would follow up with the shotgun. I knew that if I could just get a couple birds in bow range, the opportunity for a follow up shot would be likely.

I told Vicki to get ready that a couple gobblers were coming in. Next thing I know is 8 jakes and a pile (7 or 8 or so) of longbeards enter the frame and start laying into the decoys. It was nuts!

I got drawn back, confirmed a long beard, and connected. He flopped away a few yards and the others started attacking him. I look over at Vicki and she's a mess. Heavy breathing and shaking like crazy...even with the gun in a vice grip. My gobbler was down with 5 or 6 birds on top of him...2 being gobblers. My coaching advice was made up of "don't shoot more than one", "shoot", "no...not yet. don't shoot", "shoot now". Poor woman was having a hard enough time without me in her ear....Finally the birds calmed down enough for her to make a great shot

Heck of a morning and heck of a way to start the season!

Comment

Comment

This was a first for me….

Most of you guys know that a strutting turkey wears their wing tips down. Both of these birds had full wing tips showing no wear from strutting.

And both birds were solid mature birds with 1 1/4” plus spurs

Crazy

Comment

Heck yeah, congrats everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X