Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    What a coincidence....

I have no dog in the hunt here; nor any opinion. None.

But, coincidently , the gentleman that started the petition to open the area to rifle hunting is a good friend and mentor of mine. He was just here yesterday, spending the night with me after going over some planning for my farm.

Only input I offer is that he probably the most knowledgeable whitetail biologist in the country, and someone I listen to very closely on all things whitetail and habitat related . He's not the least bit political and is stunned by the controversy all this has caused. To give him the benefit of the doubt he may have insights into what best for the deer herd in the area that are worth considering.

I'm out. Carry on.

His client, the high fence owner, should have thought about how he was going to manage his whitetail herd in an archery only county before he put up that fence. He is going to need to harvest a lot of deer each year, and if he isn’t running a bunch of commercial hunts, he better have a lot of friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
      His client, the high fence owner, should have thought about how he was going to manage his whitetail herd in an archery only county before he put up that fence. He is going to need to harvest a lot of deer each year, and if he isn’t running a bunch of commercial hunts, he better have a lot of friends.

I thought MDL you could pretty much do whatever the biologist recommend. Even though they have their own season dates they have to follow the take outlined in the county regulations? That don’t make sense. Maybe TPW should change the MDL rules if that is the case!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
        I thought MDL you could pretty much do whatever the biologist recommend. Even though they have their own season dates they have to follow the take outlined in the county regulations? That don’t make sense. Maybe TPW should change the MDL rules if that is the case!

I think you are correct in the fact that the length of season changes, and they allow forearms at the beginning of deer season, and not just during the general season, but you still have to harvest using lawful means, and in those 4 counties, that is archery equipment only.

Comment

[emoji817]

Comment

I was at the Grayson College meeting and in my opinion TPWD presented no reason to change the season rules in Grayson County. Lots of people presented good reasons to leave things as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
              Actually not the "whole" story, but a good chunk of it. The whole story is much longer, and TPWD has it. We'll see if it goes beyond that.
              So why won’t you tell the whole story since you’re adamantly against gun hunting there? You’ve been beating around the bush about it. I get why y’all want it to stay archery. I have no dog in the fight. Just curious. This has been real interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                So why won’t you tell the whole story since you’re adamantly against gun hunting there? You’ve been beating around the bush about it. I get why y’all want it to stay archery. I have no dog in the fight. Just curious. This has been real interesting to watch.
                No need to show the full hand yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                  Chess not checkers. I see. Will be watching

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    Direct quote from the Herald Democrat article by a man that has skin in the game as a property owner in Grayson Co.

"Citing a wildlife survey report from last year, Benson held the report and alleged that the pathway traveled to the current proposal stemmed from a private wildlife biologist—Dr. Harry Jacobsen, a member of the state’s Whitetail Advisory Committee, who is said to be doing consulting work for a large high-fenced ranch in the northwestern part of Grayson County—and his efforts to push this ahead.

Benson read some quotes from the report before concluding his speaking segment.

“So, this private biologist said to his private landowner client that I am a public appointed official and I can fix this for you,” said Benson. “I don’t think this is about habitat, biology, or hunter opportunity, unless you happen to be hunting inside that 2,200-acre high-fenced ranch.

“I think this is about benefitting fewer people than I can count on my hand right here. And I don’t think that this is in the greater interest of the four counties for which this is proposed. I think this is in the greater interest of a few private individuals that have an inside track to the Whitetail Advisory Committee.”

When Benson concluded his remarks, some of the biggest applause of the night ensued, likely proving again that when it comes to Grayson County and its whitetail deer hunting battles, the more things change, the more they stay the same."
                    Niiiiiiiiice!!!! Shot to the heart.......lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                      interesting namechangeback...i thought you were gone

Comment

I thought the county had such a low deer density. One per 200 acres or so. He shouldn’t need to kill but 4 or 5 deer.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                          interesting namechangeback...i thought you were gone
                          I was feeling nostalgic.

Comment

lets just ban hunting there all together. I mean, that's what some of y'all sound like on here.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                              lets just ban hunting there all together. I mean, that's what some of y'all sound like on here.
                              I think a much more reasonable deduction of our opposition to the proposal could be made...

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                                Don't hurt yourself reaching.

Comment

Working...
                                X