East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
    To me, a lot of this is heat related. Let the cold weather come, and the deer will be back.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I almost saw three good shooters tonight, but I was the only one there.[emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      East Tx is dynamic due to timber harvests. I think deer numbers would always improve after a first thinning. Or at least that’s been my experience. We are about to test this theory. We bought 100 acres of “dog-hair” thick stuff. Just horrible habitat. Have not hunted it as it is poor habitat. We are cutting this year. It will make things better, no doubt. Note - none of my observations that I posted earlier came from this tract. We just bought this so I don’t have a history of monitoring it, but cameras suggest there are scattered deer in that mess.
      You might be surprised to find out how well utilized that ‘dog hair’ thick tangled stuff is by deer. You and others can’t get in there to get them………and they know this. Especially in higher pressured areas.

Edit: Looks as if Low Fence covered this above as well.
      Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-08-2022, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        They burn the hell out of our place and our numbers are down. 15000 acres so your thinking is not it

Well if its not coyotes, pigs, intermittent fire (not just burning the hell out of it) and/or land fragmentation then please tell us what it is once you get it figured out and nailed down. I would be curious to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          Waste of time. My fish aren’t coming to corn either.
          Gotta put the corn inside a round hoop shaped feed pen so they can find it better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stringmusic View Post
            Well if its not coyotes, pigs, intermittent fire (not just burning the hell out of it) and/or land fragmentation then please tell us what it is once you get it figured out and nailed down. I would be curious to know.
            I would say coyotes.

Comment

All I know for sure is if it don’t turn around when the weather cools off I may have to join the “ Age, score and is he legal?” Crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                All I know for sure is if it don’t turn around when the weather cools off I may have to join the “ Age, score and is he legal?” Crowd.
                We may have to start skimming.

Comment

Last year wasnt the best for a lot of E Tx hunters. This year even worse. Around my place we have heard almost no rifle shots this season where normally the first two weeks its WW3. Hopefully the lack of harvest will mean increased numbers for upcoming seasons and more mature deer.

Comment

“Main Event” had a doe cut from the herd all night/morning long. He might need a blue pill at his age

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      “Main Event” had a doe cut from the herd all night/morning long. He might need a blue pill at his age
                      Hey don't just throw a net out on all of us

Comment

I talked to a deer processor yesterday, he said they are down by 2/3 from previous years. On the positive side, a lot of mature deer are going to make it one more year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                          I talked to a deer processor yesterday, he said they are down by 2/3 from previous years. On the positive side, a lot of mature deer are going to make it one more year.
                          As frustrating as it can be, there’s always a payoff down the road. A lot of deer getting another year is number one as you just said. That’s how 150s turn into 160s and 160s turn into 170s. My taxidermy friends in Grapeland are 100 mounts down from last year.

Comment

Haven’t hunted much this year. Made a sit for the first time at one of my sets and got skunked. This places was getting some activity, but not this morning. Should have known better.

It is crazy warm and I think that is playing into movement. Also, the weather liars didn’t quite have the wind right.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              Haven’t hunted much this year. Made a sit for the first time at one of my sets and got skunked. This places was getting some activity, but not this morning. Should have known better.

It is crazy warm and I think that is playing into movement. Also, the weather liars didn’t quite have the wind right.
                              I have found that the windy app is most accurate

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

We’ve still got water oaks dropping acorns.

Comment

Working...
                                X