Very cool. Great looking buck.

Congrats!

J

Comment

Sweet buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          North neighbor must have got a new pallet of pistol ammo…… he should be about out soon… gezzzz
          Originally posted by aggiehunter3 View Post
          Well as you all can judge by my previous posts, I’ve had a tough season at our Rusk Co place. We have some good deer on cam see below, but I have not seen any mature bucks on stand this year.

However my luck changed this weekend, when I had the opportunity to go with my buddy down to his family ranch in San Ygnacio on the border. This land has been in their family since 1968 and is truly a hunters paradise. We hit it just right as the rut was kicking off and saw several deer on our trip. I was after either a past prime deer or a management deer, and I ended up connecting on a trophy “management” 8. On a cool south Texas morning on the 17th it started with young bucks sparring in the senderos. After a 20 min stretch with no activity, I tickled some horns together and this brute of a deer came out. An older 10 point with short brows. He fit the bill for what was on the hit list, but being my first time down to this place, I really wanted a no brainer to shoot and was scared to shoot the wrong deer. As I had the gun on him and doing too much thinking, he walked off out of sight.

I was a little down as it was the last morning hunt, but all that changed as a mature 8 walked out into the same sendero with a harem of doe.

These bucks are smart and he fed for a painstaking 30 mins either facing me, butt to me, or right behind the does. Finally, as he was about done feeding, he turned and stepped back toward the mesquite flat presenting me a broadside, but hurried shot. I squeezed the .308 and he didn’t really hump or do much of anything at all. Dumbfounded, I thought I missed the deer and he didn’t know where the shot came from. However, he then turned took 2 steps back toward the sendero opening and collapsed. I ended up hitting him a little back, but I clipped lungs and must have hit main artery. So happy I ended up with a lethal shot and a quick kill. When I got up to him there was no ground shrinkage at all and I knew I had killed my largest buck to date. He ended up taping out at 138 5/8. I’m still on cloud 9 and to end the trip that evening we killed a 6 man limit of dove. I’ve never been to Argentina, but I can only imagine it has to be similar. We couldn’t even load our guns fast enough before another group of 20+ was on us. Enjoy the pics. Now it’s time to get mad at these east tx deer for a couple more weeks.

Oh yea!!!! Big 8s are super cool!!!

Comment

Great buck. Congrats! Always wanted a big heavy and wide 8. Maybe one day.

Comment

Rolling with the punches today. Blessed to be able to hunt, and upset that I’m as bitter as I am dangling from this post oak. After scouting from a distance last weekend, moving in close with just a few days available to hunt. I get caught up getting everything ready for the freeze…. With no assistance. Running later than I hoped since the site I planned to sit in was (hopefully) a travel area for early movement. Pulling up I noticed mud and o and down black top…. And neighbor gate open. Logging …. And I can hear limber parked next to sanctuary where my platform is hung. Wondered why today I got ZERO pics on property. Usually get 15-25 a day. Between the north and south neighbors they have relocated 2 of the most mature deer in my county. Flew 2 miles south and grabbed another platform from a set and set up on a ridge for this evening. I don’t have time to push any deeper than I am. If I pull anything off here it will be of none of my doing. Both of the same deer use this ridge but I haven’t seen main event in at least a week. And no pics of big Jim in several weeks.

First world problems. God is good, and this weather is proof!

Comment

This is too open for late season. But wind won’t let me get on the other side of ridge for better cover. Not worried about cover for me… for deer
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aggiehunter3 View Post
                  Well as you all can judge by my previous posts, I’ve had a tough season at our Rusk Co place. We have some good deer on cam see below, but I have not seen any mature bucks on stand this year.

However my luck changed this weekend, when I had the opportunity to go with my buddy down to his family ranch in San Ygnacio on the border. This land has been in their family since 1968 and is truly a hunters paradise. We hit it just right as the rut was kicking off and saw several deer on our trip. I was after either a past prime deer or a management deer, and I ended up connecting on a trophy “management” 8. On a cool south Texas morning on the 17th it started with young bucks sparring in the senderos. After a 20 min stretch with no activity, I tickled some horns together and this brute of a deer came out. An older 10 point with short brows. He fit the bill for what was on the hit list, but being my first time down to this place, I really wanted a no brainer to shoot and was scared to shoot the wrong deer. As I had the gun on him and doing too much thinking, he walked off out of sight.

That's a great buck!

So did your buddy tell you after the fact that that 10 would've been OK to kill after all?
                  Last edited by Etxbuckman; 12-20-2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    That's a great buck!

So did your buddy tell you after the fact that that 10 would've been OK to kill after all?

Thanks everyone! Yes, he definitely said he was mature, but he did mention when I asked him if he could choose between the 2, he would have me shoot the 8. So looks like I ultimately made the perfect decision.

Comment

Anyone planning on hunting Friday morning? The forecasted "feels like" is around zero in my area, I have never hunted in those kinds of temps.

I am not worried so much about getting cold sitting in a box with a heater but just wondering how our deer will react not being used to this kind of cold. Will they move much or just be laid up?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                        Anyone planning on hunting Friday morning? The forecasted "feels like" is around zero in my area, I have never hunted in those kinds of temps.

I am not worried so much about getting cold sitting in a box with a heater but just wondering how our deer will react not being used to this kind of cold. Will they move much or just be laid up?
                        I have a few times. Activity was extremely slow. Even in the sleet and snow. Seems they pile up in the bedding areas and do their best to stay warm.

Comment

I’m predicting that the deer will move later in the morning when and if the sun pokes out. It’s my opinion that deer move and feed to stay warm. Just like cattle. If the cold wind is howling they will stay bedded in the woods. But that’s just from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                            I’m predicting that the deer will move later in the morning when and if the sun pokes out. It’s my opinion that deer move and feed to stay warm. Just like cattle. If the cold wind is howling they will stay bedded in the woods. But that’s just from my experience.
                            I would tend to agree… super cold/frosty mornings have traditionally started slow, but that’s just my observations. Seems like they hunker down in the coldest part of the day, but move later. A smart move, if one was hunting Friday, might be to get out later… 7:30 or 8:00 and ride the rock the rest of the day.

Comment

I will let you know

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                                I will let you know

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                                Please do. Baby needs a new pair of shoes and some back strap. I always get a Christmas card from my taxidermist. Always. This year he sent me a picture of him shooting me the bird. WTH!!

Comment

Working...
                                X